Towing R21EC with Bimini top on

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Towing R21EC with Bimini top on

Postby greenghost45 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:11 am

Just wondering what other folks suggest about towing an R21EC with the Bimini top up (no side curtains)? When I towed her home from CA to BC last winter, I removed the Bimini and stowed it. For short tows near home where I never exceed 35 mph, I have never worried it. But now I am planning a longer highway trip of about 250 miles total. I never tow over 55 mph. Should I worry about damage to the Bimini from flapping etc.? Thanks!
greenghost45

City: Quathiaski Cove
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Re: Towing R21EC with Bimini top on

Postby Capt'nKarl on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 am

We tow our Tug short distances < 25 miles with with Bimini top retracted, covered and secured. We’ve had no issues as long as we stay around 55 MPH. When traveling longer distances I completely remove the frame from the boat. The frame fits around the edges of the boat and can be secured with heavy duty zip ties to the stern cleats. Towing longer distances with the frame attached causes a lot of stress at the attachment points. It’s a little difficult reattaching the frame to the boat because it’s cumbersome but the first mate and I have developed a system. We towed our Tug from Pensacola to Key West without any issues. Hope this helps.
Karl
Capt'nKarl

City: Milton
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: MANEO

Postby PetDrs on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm

We picked up our R-21EC from Port Boat House in Port Alberni and towed it to Schooner Cove in Nanoose Bay, a distance of approximately 50 miles and kept the speed under 60 mph (100 kmh). Our 21 has a Bimini top which was up for the entire trip and it handled it perfectly. The side curtains were not up but everything else including the solar panel on top of the bimini was up and survived the trip 100%. I am NOT sure if it is the factory bimini.....so it may differ from yours and therefore our experience may not be directly applicable to your situation.
PetDrs

City: Nanaimo

Postby greenghost45 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Capt'nKarl wrote:We tow our Tug short distances < 25 miles with with Bimini top retracted, covered and secured. We’ve had no issues as long as we stay around 55 MPH. When traveling longer distances I completely remove the frame from the boat. The frame fits around the edges of the boat and can be secured with heavy duty zip ties to the stern cleats. Towing longer distances with the frame attached causes a lot of stress at the attachment points. It’s a little difficult reattaching the frame to the boat because it’s cumbersome but the first mate and I have developed a system. We towed our Tug from Pensacola to Key West without any issues. Hope this helps.
Karl

Thanks for the tips!
greenghost45

Postby greenghost45 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:41 pm

PetDrs wrote:We picked up our R-21EC from Port Boat House in Port Alberni and towed it to Schooner Cove in Nanoose Bay, a distance of approximately 50 miles and kept the speed under 60 mph (100 kmh). Our 21 has a Bimini top which was up for the entire trip and it handled it perfectly. The side curtains were not up but everything else including the solar panel on top of the bimini was up and survived the trip 100%. I am NOT sure if it is the factory bimini.....so it may differ from yours and therefore our experience may not be directly applicable to your situation.

Thanks for sharing. Like the saying goes, YMMV. I think my top is factory original, but cannot be certain.
greenghost45

Return to General Technical Discussion