Problem with electric stove

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Problem with electric stove

Postby quinsky on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:06 pm

This weekend my wife was trying to make a gourmet scallop dinner. When she turned both burners on, the "Stove" breaker would trip. we were connected to shore power. I turned off all other AC appliances (air, water heater, microwave, battery charger) and the breaker continued to trip. It worked fine with one burner. Did not try it with generator. Is this a problem with the stove or the stove breaker? I would think the main AC breaker in the boat or shore pedestal would trip if it was an overload problem. BTW she was able to get by with one burner and the scallops were awesome!
Patrick Quinn
quinsky

City: Murrells Inlet
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Compass Rose
MMSI Number: 338302374

Re: Problem with electric stove

Postby NorthernFocus on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:18 pm

Glad it didn't spoil your dinner. It sounds like the stove breaker wasn't sized properly. Either that or the breaker is faulty. If you have the installation/user's manual for the stove it should tell you what size breaker is required. And the breaker will be clearly marked with the amp rating. Another less likely possibility is that the shore power voltage is low. That will result in all of your AC appliances pulling more amps. The voltage can be read on the boat's AC panel. Check it with no load then again with the stove on. Hope this helps run it down.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby kevin_summit on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:44 pm

quinsky wrote:This weekend my wife was trying to make a gourmet scallop dinner. When she turned both burners on, the "Stove" breaker would trip. we were connected to shore power. I turned off all other AC appliances (air, water heater, microwave, battery charger) and the breaker continued to trip. It worked fine with one burner. Did not try it with generator. Is this a problem with the stove or the stove breaker? I would think the main AC breaker in the boat or shore pedestal would trip if it was an overload problem. BTW she was able to get by with one burner and the scallops were awesome!

Patrick,

What year is your boat? We did have a mid year change where the panel had a 15amp breaker and we changed to a 25amp breaker. You can email me if you have questions, my email is below in my signature.

Thank you,
Kevin Lamont
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit

City: kent
State/Province: WA

Postby Martin610 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 am

Kevin,

Going from 15 amps to 25 amps is significant. That could be more power than the MASE generator can produce. Just how much power does the induction cook top require for both burners? My wife and I like scallops too.

-martin
Cutwater 28 - Venture
Martin610

City: Jackson
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Venture

Postby kevin_summit on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 am

Martin610 wrote:Kevin,

Going from 15 amps to 25 amps is significant. That could be more power than the MASE generator can produce. Just how much power does the induction cook top require for both burners? My wife and I like scallops too.

-martin

Martin,

Could you please email me on this? I need to know what year boat you have so I can ensure I am getting you the correct information. My email is below in my signature.

Thank you,
Kevin Lamont
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit

City: kent
State/Province: WA

Postby Martin610 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Will do Kevin. I opened up my power panel today and was gratified to see 12 gauge cable, ABYC certified. Everything labeled, nice neat work. Kudos to Cutwater on that. So many boats have really terrible wiring. Glad Cutwater is one of the good guys.

-martin
Cutwater 28 - Venture
Martin610

City: Jackson
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Venture

Return to General Technical Discussion