Hurricane Florence Damage to Ranger 29S

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Hurricane Florence Damage to Ranger 29S

Postby Swansboro Dave on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 am

Unfortunately, our much loved 2010 Ranger 29S suffered some minor damage during the recent hurricane. Despite our efforts to protect the boat (removed from water and stored on trailer), due to high winds (95 mph) and tremendous rains (35" here in Swansboro), we did get some water intrusion, but luckily, all the damage seems to be fairly cosmetic.

We are well under way with necessary repairs. However, there is one necessary repair item I do not know how to address, and was hoping perhaps someone on this forum could offer suggestions.

The wood veneer flooring in both the salon....and the step into the front berth area were wetted.....and despite my efforts to quickly dry.....the veneer seems to be delaminating and deteriorating along the edges where I assume it wicked water. Curiously enough, the flooring in the front berth area itself seems to be holding up fine.....even though is was completely submerged under approximately 1" of rainwater prior to drying out the boat.

It is obvious the veneer flooring probably needs to be replaced, but I have no idea where to source the flooring materials.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Swansboro Dave

City: Swansboro
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic

Re: Hurricane Florence Damage to Ranger 29S

Postby Swansboro Dave on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 am

We also lost radar connectivity since the storm.....I suspect from water intrusion into the ethernet cable at the dome connection.

I am hopeful that a new ethernet cable (on order) will rectify that small issue.

If not, I may also be in need of some guidance on that topic.
Swansboro Dave

City: Swansboro
State/Province: NC

Postby Irish Mist on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:40 am

I had a radar issue and following a response from this site, found the connection at the base of the radar for the cable was green with corrosion when I removed it. I cleaned and reconnected it and it has been working for the last 3 years.
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC

Postby seadot on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Call there Parts folks at Ranger. I had to replace the laminated teak "ceiling" under the overhang outside of the cabin on my Cutwater. Cutwater Parts folks sent me an exact, precut replacement at a very reasonable price.
seadot

City: Alexandria
State/Province: VA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Heck or High Water

Postby BB marine on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:05 pm

I had to replace a damaged floor in the V berth area of our C26. Removed floor and Cutwater sent flooring material for replacement. I cleaned and prepped the fiberglass for glue. I used a automotive contact cement for a adhesive. There are pictures in my album of the job.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Brian B on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:32 am

If R. T. can't supply a replacement do an online search for marine Teak and Holly plywood and you will find it or ask R.T. for their source of the product. Try to remove the old piece carefully and use it as a template. Mike Rizzo on Illusions replaced his with a flooring product from Home Depot. Another option would be to use Sea Dek or U-Dek. Instead of using the adhesive backing it can be applied with snaps for removal. I had the interior of my boat digitized for a U-Dek runner but never moved forward with that project. There are photos of U-Dek applied to the cockpit in my photo album.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby Carter7 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:03 am

That's really shocking. Done a great damage to the local people.
Carter7

City: munshiganj
State/Province: DC

Return to General Technical Discussion