New 2015 Ranger 25SC owner - Help! closed coolant mixing

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

New 2015 Ranger 25SC owner - Help! closed coolant mixing

Postby scuffy 2 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 pm

I recently bought a 2015 Ranger 25SC. I am now winterizing for the winter ahead in Wisconsin where temperatures can get to -30 below. My boat will be stored indoors but the building is unheated. The sealed system coolant that was in the boat was good to -11 below. The Owner's manual for Volvo Penta D3 advises to mix their VP coolant concentrate with distilled deionized water which meets water quality standard ASTM D4985. I am having trouble finding this kind of water and wonder if distilled OR deionized water type 2 would work. Can any of you help me with this - I would appreciate any help.
scuffy 2

City: Sherwood
State/Province: WI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: The Lone Ranger

Re: New 2015 Ranger 25SC owner - Help! closed coolant mixing

Postby captstu on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 pm

D4985 is a coolant standard. Distilled or demineralization water, as specified by the manufacturer can b added as specified to meet the standard.

There should be no difference, but however the manufacturer tested to meet the standard is ok with ASTM.

Follow the label and be fairly exact. More ethylene glycol is not better.

Stuart Bell
Ranger 25: Shearwater
(561) 352-1796
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby scross on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:16 am

You mentioned that the building was unheatef. But does it have electrical outlets?
If it dies there are a number of small area heaters that you can use to keep the engine compartment a bit warmer.
We get down to -6 degrees in Southern Oregon but use three heaters in the boat’s cabin and engine compartment during the winter to keep temps above freezing.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby scuffy 2 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Thank You both for your ideas.
scuffy 2

Postby BB marine on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:52 am

scuffy 2 wrote:I recently bought a 2015 Ranger 25SC. I am now winterizing for the winter ahead in Wisconsin where temperatures can get to -30 below. My boat will be stored indoors but the building is unheated. The sealed system coolant that was in the boat was good to -11 below. The Owner's manual for Volvo Penta D3 advises to mix their VP coolant concentrate with distilled deionized water which meets water quality standard ASTM D4985. I am having trouble finding this kind of water and wonder if distilled OR deionized water type 2 would work. Can any of you help me with this - I would appreciate any help.

One thing to look into is what your anti-freeze tester is testing. Is it testing slush point or burst point? I bring this up because most testers, test for slush (freeze point) and boiling point. The burst point is a lower value. An example is -50 pink antifreeze (propylene glycol) has a burst point of -50 but if tested comes in at approx +10 F, The blue -100 mostly used in winterizing raw water side of engines test at -40. This is where it starts to freeze or the slush point but both will protect to much lower temperatures. When we were winterizing (retail service) the raw water side of engines, we would maintain a -10 F concentration (slush point) in the winterize tank adding more -100 blue when needed to maintain the freeze point (-10F) . This is for Illinois which worst case low temp would be -15. For my personal boat I always used the pink it was cheaper but still more then adequate, it tested at +10, Burst point -50F. I never had any freeze issues in Illinois storing in unheated building. The VP factory anti-freeze in my 2016 test at close to equivalent to yours -15. Volvo sells a pre-mix antifreeze no need to add water. I have a gallon on the boat that I keep on board in case I need to add to the tank. I will test it this week and post its value. I'm going to speculate that it is close to the same value -15. I agree a lower testing value gives piece of mind but may not be necessary.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby scuffy 2 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:40 pm

Thank you Brian, very helpful
scuffy 2

Postby BB marine on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:37 am

ImageImage

I tested the content of the Volvo coolant. It tested at -15 with my tester which test for slush point or freeze point not burst point. The table on the container states freeze point -11. So it seems that you have a factory mix in your engine.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby Kaptajnen on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm

If the Volvo Penta Coolant is labeled ( as in your photo) “VCS READY MIXED”, why is there any need to add distilled water?

We keep a small dehumidifier running in the cabin and it keeps it dry (45% humidity) and warm. Safer and more effective than small heaters IMHO.
Claus & Thyrsa Jensen
Bainbridge Island, WA
Ranger Tug 31-S Akvavit
Kaptajnen

City: Bainbridge Island
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: Akvavit

Postby BB marine on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:18 am

Kaptajnen wrote:If the Volvo Penta Coolant is labeled ( as in your photo) “VCS READY MIXED”, why is there any need to add distilled water?

The Volvo VSC coolant can be purchased 2 different ways, VSC Factory Mixed ready to use or VSC concentrate needs to be mixed with water. The already mixed is a 40% coolant and 60% water giving it a freeze value of -11 freeze point. This is what came in the D3 when we purchased the boat. I purchased the already mixed , adding coolant when needed its a ready to pour and matches the factory Mixed antifreeze. When using a Concentrate, water to dilute Volvo (VCS) has a specification of quality of water as posted earlier in the Topic.

This quote is from Volvo service bulletin "Only mix Volvo Penta coolant with tap water that fulfills Volvo quality standard VOLVO STD: 1285, 1. In the event of doubt regarding water quality, use Volvo Penta ready mixed coolant."
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Return to General Technical Discussion