Yanmar impeller and belt access ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Yanmar impeller and belt access ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Postby rpmerrill on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:13 pm

I've had my 2012 R-27 for three boating seasons now. The first season I had a slew if engine maintenance items done at the end of the season. Impeller and belts were on my list. (I'm beginning to wonder and need to go back into my files to see if it was really done.) I did all my winterizing myself that first year.

At the end of my second year I did my oil changes and all the filters. AND I did my winterizing.
No problem... just a little messy.
Oh ya, I changed my engine zincs as well. I had to fab up some custom tooling to get access but no big deal. (I also own a 40 year old British car.)

Here we are at the end of my third season and I still need to expand my resume. Oils and filters, and engine zincs already done. I'll do the engine coolant and winterizing after we get hauled. BUT I've been getting antsy to do the "fan" belts and the pump impeller.

First I needed to remove the "Access Panel" between the cabin and the engine. A couple screws and bim-bam were done?
NO WAY. The panel, I discovered, actually penetrates into the back wall of the cave. A couple more screws. One had to be drilled out. (I'm liking those square drive screws less and less.) I also had to loosen the aft, starboard side panel to allow the access panel to slide towards port. But it wouldn't totally slide out of the way. It is too long.

At this point I can see the belts and water pump, but lying on my belly I can barely touch them with my fingertips. I have no idea how I could possibly get in there with two arms and tools. This is pretty discouraging.

Looking for hints and tips and maybe some encouragement.
rpmerrill

City: Easton
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: BAY RANGER

Re: Yanmar impeller and belt access ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Postby aculverwell on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:47 pm

I feel your pain! I previously owned a 2011 R27 and had a heck of a time replacing the impeller because of the access challenge you describe. This was easily the hardest DIY job I have undertaken on my Ranger Tugs, but (here is the encouragement), I was able to get it done. Even though I am reasonably large, I was able squeeze my head, shoulders and arms into the access hole and (barely) get an allen wrench on the bolts and successfully remove the housing & replace the impeller. It took multiple hours to get this done and was really awkward and uncomfortable, so perhaps it would be worth paying a marine mechanic to do this for you.

FWIW, I believe that some other Tugnuts have posted that they actually widened the access hole to make it easier to access the front of the 4BY-180.
aculverwell

City: Carnation
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Red Sky

Postby Red Raven on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:13 pm

At knotflying’s suggestion I cut the slide out panel in half where it enters the engine space. Now I don’t have disassemble any of the stuff in the aft end of the cave. The interior piece now comes out through the access panel under the step. Much easier!
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby rpmerrill on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:29 pm

cut the slide out panel in half ...

I think that will be on my list!
rpmerrill

Postby Pilotnavigator on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Sure do love the engine access on my 21ec. Pull two pins and set the whole engine cover on the lawn, instant access to every corner of the engine. Changed the impeller, belt, three filters, engine oil and gearbox oil, then flushed with antifreeze in about an hour. I do get envious of the bigger boats with all the big boat features, but not when I am doing winter maintenance. Three years old and already 378 hours on it! One fine cruising boat for a couple to spend each summer. All boats are compromises, just have to pick which areas to compromise in. For me engine access was important, and the engine box makes a great place to prepare meals and cook on.
John -21EC "Wanderer"
Pilotnavigator

City: Cambridge
State/Province: ON
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Wanderer
MMSI Number: 316028321

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:20 pm

When we had our R27 this was my most time consuming task. In order to improve the time spent I had a friend help me. After the panel disassemble I put a towel below the impeller pump to catch any bolts that might fall, 2 did over the years we had the boat but were easily retrieved in the towel. My friend would work from the cabin to turn the belt pully while I, from atop the engine worked to get the belt off. We’d continue as my friend gave me directions from his cabin floor vantage point, giving me directions as I lay on the engine to loosen and take out the screws to the housing off and take the impeller out. We did the same in reverse to reinstall a new impeller and or belt. I think we got down to an hour and a half on our last mechanical gymnastics routine. If I were to do it over I think I’d make the cabin access panel larger so I could have done the job by myself and in the end I believe the factory did do this on later models.

Him
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby Brian B on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 pm

I modified the step on my 25SC for better access, there are pics in my photo album. Get yourself a stretch belt removal tool as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGJCtWKkaTE attach a thin line to it and put it on your wrist so you don't drop it in the bilge. I only use the removal tool, the install tool isn't necessary to stretch the belt on. I do the entire job through the step by myself in just over an hour or so. I change the impeller every year in May, so in March I start a diet to give myself more room :D Knotflying posted a step by step process five years ago for the entire operation.viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3318&p=26875&hilit=impeller#p26875
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby baz on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Hmmmm.... you think doing the impeller replacement is hard on the R-27 Classic...... just try it for the R-25 Classic.... it simply is a beast of a job and one I would never do again myself.
Barry, (1st mate Gill passed away Aug 11, 2018) & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 S Hero Red to be delivered Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby knotflying on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:46 am

Cut the interior panel in half, make the outside access panel opening bigger and follow the instructions originally posted. I can do mine start to finish in about one hour now.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby rpmerrill on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:16 pm

Whew!!!!!
With the help of a spotter (and psychological support person) I was able to do the impeller and 2 belt replacement.
That was a bear! Learned a few tricks from you Nuts and also a few more along the way.

Taking it apart wasn't difficult. Putting it back together was another story.
Finding the bolt holes in the blind was tough, even with a spotter. Part of my problem was starting the short little 8mm screws in the threaded holes in the block. Once we figured it out...it went better. The impeller was not totally inserted into the block. Thus the coverplate/hub didn't get close enough to catch a thread on the short bolts. After I figured it out and (blindly) twisted and pushed the impeller in farther, the pump pulley/hub located itself properly and all was well.

One more item: Even with a belt install tool, installing the two new belts was not a breeze. It was no fun.
Tomorrow I'll be reassembling the cockpit/cabin separation panel and installing the new cave wall.
Not sure I want to do this job again.

Thanks to all you Nuts for help and support.
I owe you!
rpmerrill

Postby baz on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:04 pm

It took me 2 weeks to have the many bruises and fiber glass cuts on my two arms heal after doing the impeller replacement on my R-25 Classic. I vowed to myself never to do this maintenance chore again. The biggest disappointment for me was when examining the old impeller it was perfectly fine without any damage. :o :roll:
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Barry I understand your thoughts however I’ll make a suggestion. Even if one never goes thru an impeller replacement again it’s my belief that the experience of going thru the process, however difficult, is important for that time we hope never happens.....an impeller failure when we’re away from the comfort of our home dock or waters. If this happens, even if we ourselves don’t make the swap, I feel the learning experience we went thru on the initial change will help guiding a technician thru the process. By the way Barry the impeller on your new R29 is very easy to access.

Jim
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby baz on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Yes Jim.... you're correct on both of those aspects/items. :)

Although not really of any concern to me now, I have wondered how easy/difficult it is to change the raw water impeller on the Yamaha F300 outboard motor ? I guess it's one reason to have the optional kicker motor. :roll:
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby rpmerrill on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:19 pm

Jim,

EXACTLY !

Rich
rpmerrill

Postby ixlr8 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:22 pm

baz wrote:Although not really of any concern to me now, I have wondered how easy/difficult it is to change the raw water impeller on the Yamaha F300 outboard motor ? I guess it's one reason to have the optional kicker motor.

I was told it is easy to change the impeller on the F300..... IF the boat is out of the water. Apparently the lower unit needs to be pulled. It is only a few bolts, but it is not a job to be done with the boat in the water. Technically it could be done, but I for one would NOT take the chance of dropping a bolt into the drink!! I haven't seen the F300 shop manual to know for sure that this is the procedure.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Next

Return to General Technical Discussion