Bi-Fold Head Door

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Bi-Fold Head Door

Postby SgtAlf on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:21 pm

So, I just completed the Bi-fold door mod for my R23. I cut the door using my brand new Dewalt Construction Site table saw Santa dropped off early, and a new very sharp finishing blade. The cut came out smooth and clean. I installed 3 hinges, center, and 6" from the top and bottom. I filled the 1/8" crack with Frost King rubber foam self-stick weatherseal 3/8" x 3/16", didn't come in 1/8". I have two 15 lb dumbbells setting on the door to set the foam. (Gotta turn that 3/16" into 1/8") Came out pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.
I followed the directions on the Northwesterly web site, Thank you for posting that. The door lock was a PIA to remove, I had to use a dowel and small hammer, but it went right back on. The only thing left is to rehang the door.
I'd insert some pictures, but ain't got a clue as to how.
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Re: Bi-Fold Head Door

Postby Bruce Moore on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:16 pm

SgtAlf wrote:I'd insert some pictures, but ain't got a clue as to how.

Getting a User Photo Album for your Ranger Tug is easy but it requires submitting a request from within the site structure.

1. Sign on to the site. You’re probably signed on if you’re reading this.

2. Select the User Control Panel link from the upper left corner of any page. Note: On the home page, this link is in your user menu in the upper right.

3. Click the Usergroups tab, then select the radio button next to the User Albums group.
Scroll down, choose "Join selected" in the drop-down menu, and click the Submit button.

Once you do this, an email is automatically sent to the administrator (me). That message will trigger my ability to approve your request, and you'll receive an email indicating your membership in the User Albums group has been activated.

I'll watch for the message, and look forward to seeing your pictures.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Coming soon! - name TBD
Seattle, WA
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby jagizzi on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Woo Hoo Tony! You'll love that mod, it changes everything for the better. I felt that the door lock was the tough part and the cut was the worrying part :-)

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby SgtAlf on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:22 am

Jagizzi
"the cut was the worrying part."
Funny you should say this. I had the door all measured, taped, and ready to cut. I had the blade all the way down and was making dry runs. I was wondering why the door always came off the fence. I called a neighbor over who's an engineer. We were doing the same thing. Then I noticed as I got to the end the blade would be close to an inch off the line. I realized I had the lock side on the fence. Spinning the door around to the hinge side corrected that.
I bet I played with the door/saw 3 hours before building up the courage to make the cut. I rehung the door and it works great! Even the wife likes it!
I did peel the velcro off, and re-glued it back on and clamped overnight.
I have a centering punch, the tapered end conforms to screw the hole on the hinge (or anything else with a hole). One good hit on the spring loaded punch centers the hole everytime, didn't have to use a drill.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... gJSdfD_BwE
The only mistake I made was putting the magnet catch back on the wrong way around. Easy fix. I didn't re-install the shower head holder, yet. Gotta play with that to find just the right spot.
Now I'm looking for something else to do.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Tony & Kathy
R-23 Sea Holli
Jackson, NJ
SgtAlf

City: JACKSON
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Sea Holli
MMSI Number: 338303803

Return to General Technical Discussion