4KW Generator Sufficient for 2012 R29 with A/C?

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

4KW Generator Sufficient for 2012 R29 with A/C?

Postby Smokeyham on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a 2012 Ranger 29 with air conditioning with reverse cycle heat (2 units), 12,000 and 16,000 BTU. The boat does not come with a generator and the yard I am working with suggests a MASE 4Kw generator. This is a smaller unit than I am seeing on other 29s with A/C that are for sale, which seem to have a 5KW unit.

I will be doing the Great Loop and will have times when I will be anchoring out, and possibly even underway, when I will want A/C ...

Any thoughts as to whether the 4Kw will provide sufficient power?

Thanks
Smokeyham

City: Los Altos
State/Province: CA

Re: 4KW Generator Sufficient for 2012 R29 with A/C?

Postby Scottfree on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:58 pm

We have a 2010 R29 with the 4KW Mase Generator and we used it a lot when we were doing the Loop last year. My concerns were it is a loud shuddering beast. Yes it's Diesel which is nice but I would have gladly carried gas and have installed something more civilised like a Honda given the choice. It would run the larger AC and charge batteries nicely. Much more load such as the heating element in the hot water tank cutting in would throw the breaker on the Generator. The breaker on the unit is in front of the unit and only accessible by feel after removing the top cover. Of course it only blows when the generator is hotter than the hubs of hell so it requires colorful language to reset the breaker. I have no experience with other diesel generators or if they are any quieter. Other than the need for AC in the south and the fact that where we live in the PNW where the sun is often hidden by clouds I would go for a elaborate solar system. I know very little about solar but from what I've read you will not get enough power to run the AC.

Good luck, Leon
Leon & Karen
Scottfree R29 Classic
Scottfree

City: West Kelowna BC
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Scottfree

Re: 4KW Generator Sufficient for 2012 R29 with A/C?

Postby ALICE J on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:29 pm

I would call Serigo 954-937-5983 a knowledgable fellow on Mase generators. I have a R27 and just had Serigo service my generator. I have a 2.7 Mase and what I learned is that the cooling system requires very little outside air (think heat) for breathing. Most other generators require lots of air if in an enclosed space. Yes the Honda will work, but where do you place it (outside) and most likely will be short lived in a salt air environment and what does it weight and can you horse it around, and will it work while underway? Be very aware of the CO gas whether mounted inside or outside. And since you do not have a Range factory generator you need to install several CO alarm detectors in all sleeping and living quarters. My Mase 2.7 has an air cooled Yanmar single cylinder diesel and an air cooled alternator, which has a radiator like a car that cools the air inside the sound box, hence little outside air is needed except for combustion. Solar is an option but I do not think you have enough roof area to meet the needs of that large array necessary for recharging the large battery bank needed to store the power for the AC particularly in the PNW where the sun don't shine-much.
The only caution about the Mase is be careful on how you hook up the generator to the house supply. Its best to have its own separate battery; never hook into the ship's supply--that means house, engine, and thruster. I learned the hard way because the generator has its own charging circuit , and I ran the ship's battery charger at the same time as the generator was operating and melted the overload fuse. The charging circuits were fighting each other, hence the melt down of the fuse.
ALICE J

City: WEST PALM BEACH
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: ALICE J
MMSI Number: NONEHERES

Return to General Technical Discussion