D4 Low Coolant Alarm

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

D4 Low Coolant Alarm

Postby BradN on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm getting a low coolant alarm on my recently purchased 2013 R31 CB. I can't see any coolant when I open the cap on my D4 Volvo, I added about a half gallon (all I had, more on order, hard to find), and still can't see it. Is there an expansion tank somewhere that I'm not aware of where I can check the level? Also, I did not get the alarm when the valves were shut for the cabin and water heater. I don't think the previous owner used them. Could that be the reason, coolant circulating through those systems? I haven't noticed any leaks. Thanks!
BradN

City: Edgewater
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: Grady White 20' Tournament

Re: D4 Low Coolant Alarm

Postby Catch22 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:26 pm

You mention recently purchased.. Being in MD, was the motor coolant changed as prep for winterization? If so, perhaps the thermostat did not open when the coolant was added and part of the system was void of coolant. Often people find the alarm going off and needing to add once the thermostat allows full fill and circulation.
Catch22

City: Sturgeon Bay
State/Province: WI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Postby knotflying on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 am

The low level alarm is very sensitive. The slightest low level and it sounds. There could have been air in the system and when it "burped" the level went lower. As mentioned, perhaps the antifreeze was changed recently. Check for leaks, top it off and then see what happens.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby BradN on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies. After looking again, I did find a leak at the water heater connection. Cleaned up the fluid and tightened the clamp, hope that does it.
BradN

City: Edgewater
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: Grady White 20' Tournament

Postby stwendl on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:25 pm

When I added a Webasto water heater tsl17 to my system , the Seattle based seller strongly discouraged running the coolant thru engine and webasto. So I added another heat exchanger to separate engine cooling and webasto cooling. Now, my engine coolant does not go thru the cabin and hot water heater but another heat exchanger. Consequently, if there was a leak inside the cabin it would not affect the engine coolant

The rationale given was that metals outside the engine may interfere and if there was any leak,loosing the one engine we have does it justify the heat benefits. There was also some reference to forcing coolant from outside the engine thru the engine when it was not running
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby knotflying on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 am

stwendl wrote:When I added a Webasto water heater tsl17 to my system , the Seattle based seller strongly discouraged running the coolant thru engine and webasto. So I added another heat exchanger to separate engine cooling and webasto cooling. Now, my engine coolant does not go thru the cabin and hot water heater but another heat exchanger. Consequently, if there was a leak inside the cabin it would not affect the engine coolant

The rationale given was that metals outside the engine may interfere and if there was any leak,loosing the one engine we have does it justify the heat benefits. There was also some reference to forcing coolant from outside the engine thru the engine when it was not running

Can you clarify this a bit more? I don't understand how adding another heat exchanger mitigates the possibility of a leak from the closed system. In my mind adding another heat exchanger introduces something else that can eventually leak.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 am

On our 2018 R29S there is a built in lever, at the head of the engine, that one can turn to the off position to close off the water heater and or heater. This could be another item to check and see if you have or not. I think they were installed for antifreeze leak isolation situations.

Jim F
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Return to General Technical Discussion