Ranger R-23 OB...Do You Run Battery Charger While Cruising?

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Ranger R-23 OB...Do You Run Battery Charger While Cruising?

Postby bergroup on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:30 am

Happy New Year Tug Nuts;

While waiting for the R-23 OB Owners Manual I am curious how other R-23 owners use their inverters and battery charger while underway. Can anyone provide an answer to the following:

1. If NOT using the inverter/battery charger underway, what does the engine alternator charge? ALL battery banks? 2 House Batteries? Engine Battery?

2. Should I turn on both the inverter and battery charger while underway? Any advantage to this or any harm being done by this?

3. What is the total capacity of the alternator while underway? I've been able to get about 1200 watts out of it before the alarm begins to sound. (And I'm not even sure what the alarm means!)

I know the factory is trying to get the Owners Manual ready for the R-23, but I've been a bit frustrated waiting over a year for one to be available.....

Thanks and best regards,

Paul Berliner
Gig Harbor, WA
bergroup

City: Gig Harbor
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23

Re: Ranger R-23 OB...Do You Run Battery Charger While Cruising?

Postby BB marine on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:29 am

1) The engine alternator should charge all batteries while under way. The onboard charger needs to have shore power or generator running to be of any use. If the engine is running and charging system functioning properly the batteries are being charged.( engine running )
2) If you are using equipment that needs 120V power while under way then you would have the inverter on. Advantage 120V while under way.
3) The 200 hp Yamaha has a max output of 50 amps WOT
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby jasonpeacock on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:40 am

Silly follow-up question...

If I'm cruising and off shore power, but I have the inverter and the battery charger turned on, am I trying to charge the batteries using the batteries via the inverter?

I would assume that the battery charger only has an input from the shore power connector, but I haven't crawled around to double-check.
jasonpeacock

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Walrus

Postby mjq1987 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:52 pm

The inverter operates in one of two modes: (1) convert DC input to AC output or (2) convert AC input to DC output. If the AC source (shore power or generator in our case) required to run it in mode (2) is not sensed by the inverter circuitry, it operates in mode (1) and uses available DC input from the battery to convert it to AC for some of the house loads (outlets, microwave). The DC source to convert to AC is present if the batteries are connected and charged, however, the inverter does not have DC to DC circuitry so it won't discharge the battery in an attempt to charge it. If the inverter is operating in mode (1) and a source of AC is supplied, it will shift from mode (1) to mode (2) and charge the batteries/supply DC house loads.

It's an oversimplification, but I envision it in terms of current flow all driven by the presence of AC voltage from shore power or the generator. If either one of these AC driving forces is present, current will flow from the AC side to the DC side dependent on DC loads. If neither AC source is present, current will flow from the DC side to the AC side dependent on AC loads.

For the Kisae inverter/charger in our boat, the factory default is Auto Backup so the sequencing above occurs without operator inputs. You can change it to manual if you want, but then you would need to manually turn on the inverter to operate in mode (1) if shore power or the generator is lost.
mjq1987

City: Hampton
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: Sea Quinns
MMSI Number: 338327333

Postby knotflying on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:25 am

jasonpeacock wrote:Silly follow-up question...

If I'm cruising and off shore power, but I have the inverter and the battery charger turned on, am I trying to charge the batteries using the batteries via the inverter?

I would assume that the battery charger only has an input from the shore power connector, but I haven't crawled around to double-check.

The engine will charge the batteries when the engine is running while cruising. Never try to charge your batteries using the inverter a) The inverter will not handle the load, b) you are drawing the power from the batteries this will give you a net zero charge. Depending on how your boat is wired you can use your charger on shore power or generator.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby bergroup on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Excellent responses. Thank you all..

Paul
bergroup

City: Gig Harbor

Return to General Technical Discussion