Windshield Wiper Arm Removal

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Windshield Wiper Arm Removal

Postby Boatdreamer on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Our 2012 R27 wasn’t used much last year because of work obligations but now I’m retired (finally) and I’m catching up on all the maintenance issues I’ve overlooked. I have a couple of questions that maybe you guys can help me with. I need to replace the windshield wiper arms and blades but they’re not going to come off easily, any ideas? I would like to switch out the mast light for an LED one, does anybody have a part number for the parts I need or is it just a LED bulb that’s a direct replacement? Thanks in advance.

Tim and Donna
Gratitude R27
Boatdreamer

City: Stuart
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 17 Keywest
Vessel Name: Gratitude

Re: Windshield Wiper Arm Removal

Postby Red Raven on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:43 pm

The wiper blades come off pretty easily, just a press fit with a small tab. You should not need to remove the arms. Just shoot the hinge with WD40.

Here is the LED anchor bulb

Part # FS-42-30C
https://store.marinebeam.com/30-led-42mm-cone-end-festoon-mini-max-fs-42-30c/
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby SummerSteve on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Has anyone removed the arms? I need to for a couple of reasons... Any suggestions appreciated.
SummerSteve

City: Baltimore
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Seamonkeys

Postby Brian B on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:49 pm

On the knuckle there is a set screw that you will have to loosen. Auto part stores sell a wiper arm/battery terminal puller that works well. You may have to devise a spacer from a small screw or nail to go into the center of the knuckle to the stem of the puller. On my boat the set screws are on top of the knuckle. I also eliminated the plastic covers as they just trap the salt making the arms less flexible.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby CaspersCruiser on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:11 pm

Red Raven wrote:Here is the LED anchor bulb

Part # FS-42-30C
https://store.marinebeam.com/30-led-42mm-cone-end-festoon-mini-max-fs-42-30c/

Some might find these bulbs expensive, but they are better than off-the-shelf. They are designed specifically to mitigate the RF interference created by LED bulbs that can disrupt VHF radio communication and AIS operation.
CaspersCruiser

City: Goshen
State/Province: KY
Vessel Name: Cookie
MMSI Number: 338127866

Postby Boatdreamer on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 am

Thank you for the help. The wiper arms have been sprayed with PB Blaster and the LED mast light and a spare have been ordered. I think I need to use a wire wheel to clean off the white powdery stuff on the wiper arms so I can see the set screw. I believe it was Mike Rizzo who said to remove the gray plastic covers on the arms so they won’t hold salt water and corrode, but I didn’t and what a mess!

Tim and Donna
Gratitude
Boatdreamer

City: Stuart
State/Province: FL
Non-Ranger Model: 17 Keywest
Vessel Name: Gratitude

Postby Godspeed on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 pm

I wanted to add my story of Wiper Arm tribulation. The port wiper motor failed on our 2015 Cutwater 30 (with 45 hours of use). I asked for help from the local dealer and the factory. After 6 hours of trial and error and the purchase of a wiper removal tool and multiple lengths of bolts to use in tool the arms were removed and so was the motor.

So if this helps, the set screw that holds the arms on are removed with an Allen wrenc from the side of the arm at the arm motor interface. I did put PB Blaster on about 2 hours before useing the removal tool to separated the arm from the motor. On the Cutwater30 there was not enough room to use the extraction bolt with knob from tool so I had to use decreasing shorter bolts in its place and remove with a wrench.

So I hope this helps with your repair. I plan on adding an anti-seize compound to the motor and wiper arm in the event I ever need to remove the arm again. The motor has been returned to Imtra and they plan on sending me a replacement at no cost to me.

This repair and the Shower Door shortening have been the most challenging. Any one wanting to fix a binding shower door should contact me for advice on the repair.

Hope this helps.
Godspeed

City: Oregon
State/Province: WI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Godspeed

Return to General Technical Discussion