Propane Bottle (For Grill) Storage Idea

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Propane Bottle (For Grill) Storage Idea

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:45 pm

I will use the small 1# propane bottles for my Magma grill. I had a look at the small built in pull out trash bin in the cockpit of my R29 that is below the shore power connections. The bin is a single unit the screws into the cockpit and I'm thinking that's a perfect place to store a couple of bottles. With regard to venting, if there's a leak, the propane would simply vent into the cockpit. Does anyone see a problem with that? Here's a picture of my idea.

Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

City: Southport
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Sea Shanty
MMSI Number: 368069690

Re: Propane Bottle (For Grill) Storage Idea

Postby jagizzi on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 pm

The cockpit vents into the bilges which connects to the cabin. Out over the outside of the cockpit rail is better, or on the swim step.
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:09 pm

jagizzi wrote:The cockpit vents into the bilges which connects to the cabin. Out over the outside of the cockpit rail is better, or on the swim step.

Good points. How about the "fish well" next to the sink? I think that is plumbed out the stern vice into the bilge?
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

Postby Thorolson on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Fish,

Keep in mind, propane is much heavier than air... hence it will find its way to the lowest point. On our 29 we don’t have a propane stove, thus nor do we have a propane detector. If you have a propane stove you should have a detector in the salon.
Tom Olszowy

Gemini Gypsy
2012 R29 Classic
Thorolson

City: Orchard Park
State/Province: NY
Vessel Name: Gemini Gypsy

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Thorolson wrote:Fish,

Keep in mind, propane is much heavier than air... hence it will find its way to the lowest point. On our 29 we don’t have a propane stove, thus nor do we have a propane detector. If you have a propane stove you should have a detector in the salon.

We are outfitted with a propane stove from the factory, including a locker and detector. My question is regarding the small portable bottles for my grill. In the past I’ve used 4” PVC piping with a screw on end cap to store bottles my sailboat’s stantions.
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

Postby SummerSteve on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 pm

Seems to me that it is really based on how concerned you are... Sealed tanks from the factory are sold and stored indoors in stores everywhere... Our scout troop has used these for fueling lanterns and stoves for years and stored hundreds (likely thousands) of unopened units indoors without any worry whatsoever. That said, once used, they occasionally do not completely seal when removed, leaking a small amount of propane (clearly odor enhanced)!

I'd be fine with storing new containers most anywhere not exposed to heat or excess moisture - but always keeping the opened container in a well ventilated outside location.
SummerSteve

City: Baltimore
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Seamonkeys

Postby rpmerrill on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 am

My grill hangs out over the swim platform. After using the grill, I disconnect the bottle and store it inside the grill (when cool) where is is covered and safe from the elements. I've got a piece of dri-deck in there that keeps it from banging around.
I also unscrew the regulator and bring it inside the cabin.
rpmerrill

City: Easton
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: BAY RANGER

Postby Matty on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:31 am

It seems in boating that everyone wants to be extra cautious about potential fire and for good reason. I would worry about a potential spark when connecting or disconnecting the power. I really like the 4 inch PVC. Seems like there should be a spot for it is safer.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Return to General Technical Discussion