Yanmar Versus Volvo

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Yanmar Versus Volvo

Postby Blair White on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:13 am

Researching my next boat purchase, and it appears it is going to be a used R-27.
From my limited knowledge it looks like in recent years the factory went from the Yanmar to the Volvo, before going to an OB.
I definitely want to go with the diesel.
I would really appreciate any input on Y versus V.
I did read a brief thread on having to cut panels to be able to access a Volvo for a maintenance process, which kinda scared me.
Is there much of a difference in performance, fuel consumption?

thanks for the input.
Blair White

City: San Diego
State/Province: CA
Non-Ranger Model: Catalina Sail - Willard Rib

Re: Yanmar Versus Volvo

Postby BB marine on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:32 am

I have the D3 220 HP and have had no issues. When we were searching for a Ranger/Cutwater I was looking for a Yanmar powered boat because of all the bad reviews I read about the D3. We found a used 26 Cutwater that had a 180 hp Yanmar powering it and I was ready to make the deal. I did some more research and found the performance numbers were a bit low. This wasn't due to the engine quality or design, just HP. When Fluid Motion changed to Volvo the 200 D3 was installed, then increased the power to the 220HP D3 in the C26 thus increasing the performance. I believe the R27 has the D3 200hp. I was concerned about the longevity and durability of the D3 because of so many negative comments posted on blogs, Websites, and boating forums. After looking into it further I found that most negativity was towards the first generation D3, Volvo redesigned the D3 and that redesigned engine is what is in the Ranger 25,27 and Cutwater 26. Time will tell but so far I have no complaints with reliability. As far as working on the engine. I think that both Yanmar and Volvo power plants will have challenging areas to make repairs. Small compartments with some limited access. Use the guidance of others that post on TugNuts to help and advise. My opinion to your question is you will be fine with either power plant.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby knotflying on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:56 am

I don't think you will go wrong with either engine. When going used the model year will dictate what engine. If you find one with a Yanmar make sure all the service bulletins were done. Depending on year (mine is 2011), the three I know of are 1) the oil line to the sensor, 2) the water lines off the engine that connect to the water heater lines should be replaced. 3) grounding for oil pressure sensor and updated software.
I have found that parts on the Yanmar are easy to come by and can often be replaced with BMW parts that can be less expensive than Yanmar. Although you may perform a lot of your own work, finding a local reliable mechanic is priority. There will be times that you just can't handle a complex issue, so having a local expert will be key. This may dictate which engine you may go with.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Red Raven on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:38 pm

The performance of our Volvo D3 200 has been flawless. At over 600 hours so far. We run ours pretty hard. Some days at 3500 rpm all day long. There are also few (very few) late model R27s out there with 220 hp.

I believe the access challenges to the engine is pretty much the same for both engines as I believe Yanmar owners also have to go through under the step for an impeller or belt change.

Personally I would be more concerned with HP than brand.
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby Salty7 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:49 pm

I have the Yanmar and am very happy with it so far. The service access to the front is awful but that is true on the Volvo too. Also, it looks like the aftercooler cannot be serviced without lifting the engine which is frustrating too but is a service access issue just like the front. I understand the Volvo has a timing belt which is a service item and that access may require lifting the engine too. So, lots of happy people with both engines and lots of frustrated folks wishing there was better access. I don't think you will regret having either engine and the boats are awesome fun.
Salty7

City: La Conner
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: KIKI (2012) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby Blair White on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:19 am

Great info everyone.
Thanks for the responses.

Red Raven,
At 3500 rpm, what is your fuel consumption, and how fast are you going?
Blair White

City: San Diego
State/Province: CA
Non-Ranger Model: Catalina Sail - Willard Rib

Postby Red Raven on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:04 pm

At 3500 rpm, no current or wind and an average load (two persons, food and gear for a week) we are doing about 15kts (17 mph) and getting about 1.8 nmpg (2 mpg).

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767