Navigation Backup

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Navigation Backup

Postby ethanbarnett on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:51 am

Using my Surface Pro 4 as a secondary navigation tool has proved to be too limiting. So I am now resolved to purchase an Apple product. Okay Apple folks out there, which Ipad and why?

Thanks.

For those in the Marathon area or coming to the Marathon area soon we will be in Faro Blanco in a week or so.

PS. Roll Tide
Ethan and Tammi Barnett on Liberty
ethanbarnett

City: Clearwater
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: LIBERTY

Re: Navigation Backup

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:17 am

love to understand what didnt work with the surface?
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby ethanbarnett on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:31 am

As I am not tech savvy in any way and want to simply use this tool to interact with Navionics and Active Capt simply, which from my limited knowledge and experience is not possible. What am I missing? I can spend a few bucks on a new Ipad thingy and still have my Surface Pro 4 for other things, and now have simple access to very popular apps.
Ethan and Tammi Barnett on Liberty
ethanbarnett

City: Clearwater
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: LIBERTY

Postby mjq1987 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 am

I believe Navionics had a Windows 10 app several years ago but discontinued it. Not sure if the Garmin/Navionics integration and upcoming charting changes will change that, but a call to Garmin customer service may provide some additional info.

We went with a 12.9" iPad Pro with cellular. The display size was the driver for us and, with the keyboard/pen, we can dual purpose the iPad as a totally independent navigation/weather information source and a cellular/internet tablet. We've been very happy with it so far. Haven't set the mount up, yet, but will be using a Studio Proper wall mount and case: https://www.studioproper.com/ to attach it to the blank space on the dash. So far, the iPad has great battery life, so I probably won't hardwire a charging cord through the back of the dash, yet, but that's always an option.
mjq1987

City: Hampton
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: Sea Quinns
MMSI Number: 338327333

Postby Red Raven on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Be sure to get the iPad with cellular even if you do not intend to activate the data connection with the carrier. (Mine is not activated. Just use my phones hotspot) Only the Cellular version has GPS which you will need to run the Nav apps. GPS does not require a data connection nor do the Nav apps (the ones I know of anyway).

Curt
Last edited by Red Raven on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pm

I get it. the surface approach is either coastal explorer software or openCpn. with a USB GPS puck. not as simple as installing an app from the app store.

for the ipad you will need a cellular ipad as stated above or I believe a bluetooth GPS puck and somethign like navionics from the appstore.

might still be worth looking at https://www.rosepoint.com/coastal-explorer/ as you have a surface already..
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

Postby CaspersCruiser on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:08 pm

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 non-cellular. I find the large display worth it. For GPS position, I use a Dual XGPS 160 Bluetooth GPS. I don’t know how much extra a cellular iPad costs, but I prefer an external GPS and the Dual is $150. It can be placed with an unrestricted view of the sky and the iPad can be anywhere on the boat and still have a rock solid GPS position. The Dual GPS can provide position information to five separate devices at the same time.

For navigation, I have Navionics and SEAiq. SEAiq charts are electronic charts that NOAA sourced and updated weekly. They look identical to paper.
CaspersCruiser

City: Goshen
State/Province: KY
Vessel Name: Cookie
MMSI Number: 338127866

Postby bill46 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:34 pm

I have an iPad 9.7 running Navionics software. Had to get an XGPS and use phone hotspot. Would recommend getting cellular to save needing another box. think about 130 more, less than XGPS.
bill46

City: Palm Coast
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Radio Active

Postby BO-J on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:32 pm

I use iPad Pro with following Seaiq, Active Captain, Blu Charts (if you don’t have Blue Charts you can’t get it any more), iNavX, GPS HD, I hook to Dual XGPS GPS Receiver through Bluetooth.
Also, the iPad stores all my manuals using PDF Expert. The iPad can interface with the Garmin VIRB Camera stand-alone also.
I had it on my ranger tug R29 which I have sense traded in on a R27 Outboard and new we have two Pros on for my wife and one for me. And have a network cloud so we can both access movies and recorded TV shows, took the TV off the Boat.
link to Picture of iPad mounted on R29 with Ram Bracket below.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlT3FRcFdZ8ahinewYDSG_rKAy-C

I rarely open my surface pro, can’t live without my iPad.

John
BO-J

City: Fairbanks
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: BO-J
MMSI Number: 368027380

Postby Scotty Mac on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Damn I wish I understood half of what you did / said
Scotty Mac

City: Asheville
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: USS Whale SSN-638
Vessel Name: Brown Eyed Girl

Postby Cutwater28GG on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 pm

very nice Bo-J. did you run a powercable for the ipad or just charge and dock when needed?
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

Postby BO-J on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 pm

I Installed USB outlet right behind the iPad so I could charge the pencil and the iPad with short cables.
But the best thing I did is give my wife one of her own. She follows along and doesn’t miss I beat..
John
BO-J

City: Fairbanks
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: BO-J
MMSI Number: 368027380

Postby Salty7 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 am

I use Captain Voyager and have for about 15 years, it should run fine on a Surface. Do a Google search for Captain Voyager Navigation. At one point it was the software the Coast Guard used exclusively, don't know if that is still true but it is an awesome system, you will love it.
Salty7

City: La Conner
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: KIKI (2012) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Return to General Technical Discussion