Converting CW 30 head to fresh water.

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Converting CW 30 head to fresh water.

Postby Godspeed on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello, I have plan on converting the head on my 2015 Cutwater 30 to fresh water. I have seen several posts where RT and CW owners have done this but can’t find a post with the process. Is it as easy as putting a valve in the existing line and installing a T in the seawater line, then connecting to the fresh water pressure line with a check valve in between. This sounds too easy. So I assume there is more involved. Could the Tugnuts followers help me with a detailed process.

Thanks

(3 months to splash in the Great Lakes!!!)
Godspeed

City: Oregon
State/Province: WI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Godspeed

Re: Converting CW 30 head to fresh water.

Postby BB marine on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 am

I have done the conversion in my C-26. C-26 has a Raritan Sea Era QC head. I spoke with a Raritain technician about the benefits of the conversion, possible extended service of internal components, reduction in odor, reduction of scale buildup in the discharge hose to the waste tank. He advised me to convert. He looked up the part number 162CFI Sea Era QC conversion, Integral to pressure fresh water kit. This kit comes with everything needed to convert the Head, it was 119.00 + shipping. I removed the raw water supply hose to the head. I used the existing port in the sea strainer as a fresh water flush for my engine. The strainer is probably not the same used in the CW 30. I installed a Tee at the cold fresh water line going to the head sink. Directly after the Tee I installed a ball valve shut off for an isolation valve for the head system.( this isn't necessary I wanted it) ( A isolation solenoid is included in the conversion kit to eliminate cross contamination from head to freshwater system) The conversion was easier for me to install by removing the head ( 4 lag bolts screwed into the head floor, there is plywood under the floor that the lags go into) More wood below the water line! I didn't care for the trim job Cutwater did for the head plumbing. I rerouted the hoses and electrical and made a trim panel. The head installation done by Cutwater used up to much space in a very limited head area. I moved the head into the corner giving more space in the head and better hose installation. You may not need to move the head, CW 30 has a larger head. If I didn't do all the other changes the kit installation is an easy 2 hour install. If you have any Questions on the conversion PM me.

Fresh water flush for the engine. Location of raw water flush hose that was removed for the head.

Rerouted plumbing and installed a finished panel for the bulkhead.

Factory installed head in C26 and C28 . The head faces the head wall and encroaches the shower basin reducing workable area.

ImageImage
The Head moved, now faces the head door, increasing leg room and reduces the need to straddle the head while using the sink. I filled the holes with west system epoxied wood dowels and finished with color matched gelcoat obtained from Cutwater.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Godspeed on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Thank you so much! I will confirm the model of the toilet and reach out to the manufacture. I also plan on adding a vent filter while making the modifications. After the miss are completed I will post photos and a narrative to hopefully help others.

Godspeed.
Godspeed

Postby NautiTug on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:13 pm

Brian, What do you use to connect your shutoff valve and water lines together? Sharkbites?
----------------------------------------------
2017 Cutwater 28
No Reservations
Red Bank, NJ
NautiTug

City: Little Silver
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: No Reservations

Postby BB marine on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:50 pm

NautiTug wrote:Brian, What do you use to connect your shutoff valve and water lines together? Sharkbites?

No, like many installs in Cutwater and Ranger Tugs they are not all the same. My C26 plumbing is all clear Braid Reinforced PVC Tubing, barb fittings and hose clamps. I use all 1/2" hose.

This style plumbing in my boat. I have seen Rangers and Cutwater with Whale quick connect plumbing system. I like that better then the hose clamp plumbing. Whale quick connect are available in most marine catalogs and marina parts departments.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby NautiTug on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Rartin Just quoted me for the pressurized freshwater upgrade kit #162CF1 pressurized kit @ $306.27 plus shipping and tax.

I wonder why so much more now then for you?
2017 Cutwater 28
No Reservations
Red Bank, NJ
NautiTug

Postby BB marine on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm not sure what the additional cost would be. There really isn't much included I thought it was pricy at 119.00. The expensive parts get removed. The kit consisted of a vacumme Break, solenoid valve, plastic cover, a small vinyl hose, a couple snap clamps, instructions. Here is a picture of my receipt to confirm you are getting the same kit.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby Toucan on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:19 am

On our 2017 R27, the quick-connect water fittings are 1/2" US size. The Whale fittings are a metric size that is close in size to the US size, but not interchangeable. Found that out when we put in an accumulator, a modification we highly recommend.

Barry Thompson
Toucan

City: Ridgecrest
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Toucan
MMSI Number: 367796310

Postby BB marine on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:55 am

Toucan wrote:On our 2017 R27, the quick-connect water fittings are 1/2" US size. The Whale fittings are a metric size that is close in size to the US size, but not interchangeable. Found that out when we put in an accumulator, a modification we highly recommend.

Barry Thompson

This is a very good point to bring up. Unfortunately the marine industry doesn't standardize plumbing some manufactures use plastic with barb fittings ,some use Whale lines and fittings, some use SeaTec. I'm sure there are more variations. Whale and Sea Tec look almost identical except size. The Whale plastic water lines and fittings are 15MM with NPT fittings to adapt to plumbing connections. Sea Tec are 1/2" water lines with NPT fittings. They look very similar in size but the whale connection to the SeaTec fits very loose. And will fail as you stated. The Sea Tec to Whale fits tight and a connection will normally destroy the o-ring seal if the installer is that persistent. Live and learn, I have learned in most cases the hard way. I always preferred the Whale system.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby Godspeed on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:48 pm

I have been doing some other plumbing mods to my Cutwater 30 including adding a fresh water inlet. The PEX fittings and tools have gotten so inexpensive that I purchased the tool, fittings and clamps. It’s so easy to use and the fittings are perninent and virtually impossible to leak. On my last boat I used a lot of Whale fittings, but the PEX system is far superior. I plan on leaving the tool, various fittings, 3’ of 1/2 “ PEX tubing on the boat for future repairs if required.

Also, understand the argument about possibly sinking your boat with fresh water if a pipe or fitting fails. I mitigate/manage this risk by putting an inexpensive water meter in line that limits the possible water volume to 50 gallons before it shuts off the flow to the boat.

The meters can be purchased at Home Depot or other vendors.
Godspeed

Postby NautiTug on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:00 am

Brian: Talked with Rartin and they said you got a new product intro pricing. They did knock it down to about $200 all in for me and I got it this weekend. Planning on installing next week. A few questions:

1. Where did you connect the isolation solenoid wiring?

2. My boat has 1/2 inch PEX piping. Planning T off the current system. But I am now wondering if I can connect Pex to the Head inlet port? I dont think i can crimp to it cause its plastic. Thoughts?

Thanks as always,
Matt
2017 Cutwater 28
No Reservations
Red Bank, NJ
NautiTug

Postby BaylorU on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 am

Following...
Fair Seas,
Ken
For Going Slow: M/V Grace- 2012 Cutwater 26 (Trailer)
For Going Slower: S/V Dreamcatcher - 2004 Hunter 466 (San Diego)
BaylorU

City: Arvada
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Grace

Postby NautiTug on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Just want to add that on my 2017 C28 it appears to be 1/2 inch pex and seatech fittings.
2017 Cutwater 28
No Reservations
Red Bank, NJ
NautiTug

Postby BB marine on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:42 pm

NautiTug wrote:Brian: Talked with Rartin and they said you got a new product intro pricing. They did knock it down to about $200 all in for me and I got it this weekend. Planning on installing next week. A few questions:

1. Where did you connect the isolation solenoid wiring?

2. My boat has 1/2 inch PEX piping. Planning T off the current system. But I am now wondering if I can connect Pex to the Head inlet port? I dont think i can crimp to it cause its plastic. Thoughts?

Thanks as always,
Matt

1. I tied the heads macerator motor power wires to solenoid so when the flush Button is pushed the solenoid is actuated to add flush water at the same time.( I cut motor power and ground wires then solder spliced additional leads to power solenoid. A inline fuse needs to be installed to protect the solenoid. The splice was done between the bulkhead and the head so fuse is accessible. I covered it with flexible conduit shown in photo below.

2. I cant't remember the fitting size use either 1/2 in. PEX Barb x Female Swivel Adapter 1/2" or 3/4. You should be able to purchase this at Home Depot.

If you want to use Sea tec fitting use #2410-1008 - 1/2 in. CTS x 1/2 in. NPS or. 2410-1012 - 1/2 in. CTS x 3/4 in. NPS

this will replace the fitting that came with the kit from Raritan.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby NautiTug on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks Brian. Very helpful. My only concern/question is doesn't the Solenoid need to be connected to always on power? I turn my House Battery switch is off when I am not on the boat.

My plan is to run to the always on positive fuse block in the cave and the negative to the aft ground bus. Thoughts on this?

As a redundant measure I think I will also install a SharkBite Check Valve off the T pex to the head plus a shut off valve.
2017 Cutwater 28
No Reservations
Red Bank, NJ
NautiTug

Next

Return to General Technical Discussion