Another Stuffing Box Saga

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Re: Another Stuffing Box Saga

Postby ALICE J on Thu May 09, 2019 11:09 am

If you raised the engine, you may want to check to see if any of the engine fashion shield plate bolts rub on the foil insulation. If so they will shortly poke a hole into the foam. I placed an aluminum plate in the offending area which also was next to the turbo that was scorching the foil. The plate sucked the foam up enough to allowance clearance. (screwed into the engine hatch. I have an R27 with a Yanmar, might not be the same clearance issue?)
ALICE J

City: WEST PALM BEACH
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: ALICE J
MMSI Number: NONEHERES

Postby dclagett on Sun May 12, 2019 8:15 am

Well I picked up the boat yesterday and the good news is extremely smooth operation from idle to full throttle with the engine hatch not locked down. The bad news is the engine top plate contacts the engine hatch when the hatch is locked down or someone stands on the hatch. This creates a significant vibration and noise in the cockpit at idle. I did not operate the boat with the engine hatched locked, but I would assume this would not be pleasant with the engine in direct contact with hatch. The boat yard told me about the problem.

I plan to contact the factory to determine if they will help me with this problem since I believe the keel was misaligned when the boat was built.
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Postby dclagett on Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 pm

No help available, so this is all on my nickel.

The good news with over seven hours of operation in calm and rough conditions the boat operation is smooth as silk. The engine alignment problem I had did not create any significant vibration. I believe this lack of vibration is due to the very short prop shaft. The misalignment prematurely wore out the cutlass bearing and probably would have worn a hole in the stuffing box had it not been fixed. Engine alignment and cutlass bearing inspection will now be on my yearly check list.

I discussed the engine hatch problem with the yard and with some measurements it appears we will be able to remove part of the core under the hatch which will give the clearance necessary to stop contact with the engine. We will reinforce that area of the hatch with additional glass.

This has been quite an experience on a relatively new boat. This all started with me asking the yard to repack the stuffing box, a 45 minute job.
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Postby BB marine on Wed May 22, 2019 7:55 am

Sounds like your boat is on the road to recovery. Its hard to believe this was found while doing a stuffing box packing replacement. I would contact Fluid motion outside of this forum. I believe they would help you out. It seems like a issue that may have been missed during the build. I'm sure they could explain the procedure they use for final alignment of the keel extension. Assuming they use Laser alignment its hard to believe it could be that far out.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Previous

Return to General Technical Discussion