R27 Inboard Prop removal

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

R27 Inboard Prop removal

Postby tincup on Sat May 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Using Acme puller and ball peen hammer been unable to free prop. My question is does the key need to be removed first? If so how do I get enough purchase
tincup

City: Franktown
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Re: R27 Inboard Prop removal

Postby BB marine on Sat May 11, 2019 3:14 pm

The acme works good if you remove the prop often. If the prop has been on for a few seasons between dissimilar metal stainless/ bronze and the force of the prop being driven on the taper the acme doesn't work that well. Don't get to aggressive with it you can damage the thrust bearings in the transmission. I made a puller, works good easy design. I have photos in my album. Key comes off after prop is removed.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby tincup on Sat May 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks. Really like ur puller. What are the plates made of? Care to sell one?

Also is BB authorized volvo Penta servicer. Where located?
tincup

City: Franktown
State/Province: CO

Postby tugnnaweigh on Sat May 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Tightening a puller and then hammering on it's shaft is proper procedure but the pull after a props been on a while often needs heat; so you crank on the puller some but not too much, heat the prop and tap the puller.

The heat source needs to be of sufficient BTUs so it warms the prop quickly, just a few minutes at most, you don't want heat migrating up the shaft. We're not talking a heat gun blowing hot air, we're talking a blue or white flame of good size and keep it moving around the prop on the outside in the areas that contact the shaft.

If I think it's going to be a tough pull, I'll wrap the shaft with a wet cloth up a ways from the prop.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby knotflying on Sun May 12, 2019 8:02 am

I have an R-27 and have pulled the prop a few times using this puller. https://www.getaprop.com/prop-puller/prop-puller-103-1.50-shafts
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby BB marine on Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 am

tincup wrote:Thanks. Really like ur puller. What are the plates made of? Care to sell one?

Also is BB authorized volvo Penta servicer. Where located?

I only have the one I made. Here is a link with description of 2 DIY pullers. Knotflying has a puller he purchased from west marine that works on the Tugs. info in post below. The clearance between the prop and the log on my boat is 3/4". Many standard prop pullers are tight to fit.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8783&p=61317&hilit=prop+puller#p61059

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10015&p=69368&hilit=prop+puller#p69006

Not a Volvo servicer, just a boat owner like you.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby gottogetfishing on Tue May 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Not to hijack the thread but when reinstalling the prop is there a torque setting for our R27 inboards? :?:
Jan & John
solo l'inizio
2012 R-27
North East, MD
gottogetfishing

City: Rising sun
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Larson 220 Cabrio Sport
Vessel Name: solo l'inizio

Postby Hydraulicjump on Tue May 14, 2019 1:58 pm

and here is the link to my expletive-laced efforts to remove the prop with a gear puller:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5018&p=37222&hilit=gear+puller#p37222
Hydraulicjump

City: Davis
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Non-Ranger Model: Necky Looksha VII, Liquidlogic Remix, Jackson 4Fun
Vessel Name: La Barka (2015)

Postby knotflying on Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 am

gottogetfishing wrote:Not to hijack the thread but when reinstalling the prop is there a torque setting for our R27 inboards? :?:

I can't answer for a specific torque, but once you thighten the nut you gave to line up the notches to plce the cotter pin in. Hence, you can only tighten so much before you lose alignment. Also, the shaft is tapered so when you are in forward thrust the prop is actually forced onto the shaft tighter. A loose nut would result in the prop pulling from the shaft in reverse. After pulling the prop a couple of times I would say worrying about proper torque is minor.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby BB marine on Wed May 15, 2019 8:12 am

The key is tighten it tight enough to seat the prop on the taper. When I install a prop I spray a light coat of CRC penetrating oil on the shaft. I then slowly spin the prop on the shaft to feel for high spot catches. You want full contact of prop to shaft. Once this if achieved push the prop on the shaft hard. Mark the location on the shaft. Now install the key and repeat. The prop should land in the same location with key installed. If not clean the key and keyway, repeat. If the prop lands on the mark now remove the prop and put a thin layer of anti corrosive grease on the shaft ( this will fill any small voids in the shaft and reduce crevice corrosion. Install prop, tighten prop nut. Once the prop moves slightly over the mark on shaft ( this is called draw, some larger props or couplings have a specific dimension for draw).The prop is pushed on the taper. On my 1.25 shaft this number is 100 lbs. As I am approaching 100 ft lbs I keep watching for cotter pin alignment with hole in the shaft and the marked line. I stop when I see alignment of hole and slight draw over the line. I use 100 ft lbs. has my base number.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby gottogetfishing on Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks Guys, great information as always.. Now we can pull and replace our prop with confidence. :D
Jan & John
solo l'inizio
2012 R-27
North East, MD
gottogetfishing

City: Rising sun
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: Larson 220 Cabrio Sport
Vessel Name: solo l'inizio

Postby YukonRon on Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am

BB, what anti-corrosive grease do you use that is safe for marine use with dissimilar metals?
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby BB marine on Wed May 15, 2019 11:00 am

YukonRon wrote:BB, what anti-corrosive grease do you use that is safe for marine use with dissimilar metals?

Mercury Marine quicksilver anti corrosion grease. I have used it for years on prop shafts. Good stuff ,It is hard to find because Mercury marine uses only one grease for everything now 2-4-C. I use 2-4-C on the rudder shaft also good product. I think Amazon still sells Quicksilver anti corrosion grease. I use it on the threads of thruster anode screws, drain plug threads, packing gland threads, any removable components that are in contact with seawater.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby YukonRon on Thu May 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks Brian. I use the Merc 2-4-C for my rudder shaft too. I'll have to look for the anti-corrosion version too.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Return to General Technical Discussion