2017 R21 EC Radar Installation

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

2017 R21 EC Radar Installation

Postby Bob George on Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 am

We recently purchased an essentially new 2017 R21 EC Danger Tug (34 engine hours) With a factory installed Garman GPSMap 741xs, but no radar. The GPS is "radar ready" and we have purchased the companion Garman 18" Radar Dome.

Before drilling roles in the Cabin top for the radar power and control cables, would someone with a factory radar equipped R21 EC please send a photo showing where the cables enter the cabin top and possibly how they are routed internally to the rear of the GPS and down to the main DC panel below the helm?

Thanks in advance.

Bob George
bobgeorgegrga@comcast.net
Bob George

City: Charleston
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Cricket

Re: 2017 R21 EC Radar Installation

Postby bob daily on Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 am

I don't have a factory installation, but installed a radar on my 2009 R-21EC ,would be willing to send you pictures. Just give me a call or message and ill fwd.
I ran wires through the starboard side of the smoke stack, power cord was run down stripper pole under deck behind fridge to elect panel under helm, other wires were run in overhead to front of boat then behind radio and search light then down window frame to GPS unit.
Hope this helps Bob
bob daily

City: Kennewick
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Scuttlebutt

Postby Bob George on Wed May 15, 2019 11:00 am

Bob Daily

Thanks for the response; can you send a photo of the Cabin top cable penetrations as an attachment to bobgeorgegrga@comcast.net?

Bob George
"Cricket"
Bob George

City: Charleston
State/Province: SC
Vessel Name: Cricket

Postby RSC on Sun May 19, 2019 2:07 am

I installed the radar on my EC21 exactly as Bob Daily did his. I put a plastic wire cover over the wire beside the window for a clean appearance. When I installed the wires into the starboard side of the stack, I left some sagging slack in the two wires before they went through two waterproof fittings. My thought was that this would help insure against potential water intrusion from water running down the wires.
Bob
RSC
2007 EC21
"MISCHIEVOUS"
RSC

City: Merritt Island
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: MISCHIEVOUS

Return to General Technical Discussion