Purged hydraulic steering - Cutwater 30 CB

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Purged hydraulic steering - Cutwater 30 CB

Postby SeaEagle on Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 pm

We are the new owners of a 2015 Cutwater 30CB purchased used from gentleman in Sechelt, BC. She is a beautiful boat that we imported through Friday Harbor and cruised her to her new home port, Tacoma, WA. last month. Before we took possession of her a mechanic in BC worked on the hydraulics, but we now question his competence.

She handled well under autopilot as we cruised to Tacoma but just a few hundred yards outside of the Narrows Marina, we disabled autopilot when the steering got really squirrely on us. The helm got real soft and "spongy". It took several rotations of the wheel to get her to turn and when she did, she couldn't hold a course.

After some research it became apparent that there was probably air in the system that needed to be bled. I found a product on the internet called Bubble Purge Pro "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw40ytaRsUw" . While I consider myself mechanically inclined, admittedly, I had never worked on hydraulics. The Bubble Purge Pro is an inexpensive very slick product that enabled me and my first mate to purge the system and replace lots of air with 3/4 of a quart of hydraulic fluid. The entire process took 45 minutes and I'm sure if we did it again we could cut it to 30 minutes. Didn't spill a drop!

Kevin Lamont at Cutwater informed me to fill and purge from the command bridge as gravity feeds the other 2 helms. This nuance is probably where the mechanic in Sechelt went wrong. The folks who sell Bubble Purge Pro customized the kit with a 20 ft return line to accommodate the extra length needed for our command bridge helm.

The boat's steering performs perfectly now. I recommend this product.

The steering is now perfect! I saved myself $hundreds
SeaEagle

City: Fox Island
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 CB
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle

Re: Purged hydraulic steering - Cutwater 30 CB

Postby gigharborite on Thu May 16, 2019 12:15 am

Great job SeaEagle! I too own a C30-CB, live across from Raft Island and keep the boat at Gig Harbor Marina. There is another Cutwater 30 at that marina as well, so there is a small group of us in the area. Hopefully we can meet up some time. Congratulations on your purchase.
gigharborite

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Jolly Dodger
MMSI Number: 338247453

Postby SeaEagle on Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 am

gigharborite wrote:Great job SeaEagle! I too own a C30-CB, live across from Raft Island and keep the boat at Gig Harbor Marina. There is another Cutwater 30 at that marina as well, so there is a small group of us in the area. Hopefully we can meet up some time. Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks for replying gigharborite. We are practically neighbors...we live on Fox Island! There is another 30 sedan 3 slips from us at the Narrows Marina. Yes that would be great to hook up some time. I have a lot to learn about this boat!!!
SeaEagle

City: Fox Island
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle

Postby gigharborite on Fri May 17, 2019 12:32 am

It is nice to know there are others with this boat in the area, please keep in touch, it would be great to meet sometime.
gigharborite

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Jolly Dodger
MMSI Number: 338247453

Return to General Technical Discussion