Pulling the prop

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Pulling the prop

Postby quinsky on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:06 pm

can I use a manual bolt type gear puller to remove the prop on my C28 or do I need a hydraulic puller? Will a hydraulic puller work without removing rudder? I bent a blade backing down a ramp. The only shop around here with a puller says their’s is in the shop.
Patrick Quinn
quinsky

City: Murrells Inlet
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Compass Rose
MMSI Number: 338302374

Re: Pulling the prop

Postby kevin_summit on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:13 pm

quinsky wrote:can I use a manual bolt type gear puller to remove the prop on my C28 or do I need a hydraulic puller? Will a hydraulic puller work without removing rudder? I bent a blade backing down a ramp. The only shop around here with a puller says their’s is in the shop.

Hello Quinsky,

Yes you can use a manual prop puller to get the prop off without having to remove the rudder. Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Kevin Lamont
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit

City: kent
State/Province: WA

Postby BB marine on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Quincy there are several manufactures that make a puller that will work on the Cutwater The biggest issue is the limited room behind the leading edge of the Prop hub This is an example that will work. It is an easy puller to replicated https://www.generalpropeller.com/image/ ... 00x500.jpg
I made a puller from plate steel very similar to the one from general propeller.
Just enough clearance to clear rudder.

Many boat yards have theses in the shop. Possibly borrow one from your local boat yard or marine dealer. There are different size for different shafts.I'm not sure of prop shaft size C28 with D4. C26 D3 has 1.250 shaft.
http://marinepropellers.com/propellers/ ... 00x500.jpg

Acme makes one too but I think the largest is for 1 1/4". You may have to do some modification to get it to fit between the prop and shaft log. shaft.https://cdn.wakemakers.com/media/catalo ... /45522.jpg
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Captain Nice on Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm

I had ZERO success with the Acme puller shown in the previous post’s link on my R21; don’t waste your money.

CN
Captain Nice

City: Edmond
State/Province: OK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Toot-Toot (2016)

Postby tugnnaweigh on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:47 am

IMHO what gets a prop loose is heat not the tugging of a puller especially if said prop has been in place many many years.

Crank the puller down, bang on the part you've turned to see if you get lucky you won't then apply a blue or white flame around the base of the propeller where the shaft runs through. The trick here is to have enough BTUs so the prop heats quickly and looses contact with the shaft preventing much heat from traveling up the shaft.

A minute or three later they'll be a ping as it looses friction with the shaft. I drape a wet cloth over the shaft up a ways to have an idea if the heats traveling and keep heat from making it to the stuffing box. I also put padding on the ground below the prop just in case.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby Captain Nice on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 pm

^ ^ ^ EXACTLY!
Captain Nice

City: Edmond
State/Province: OK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC