Norcold Refrigerator Removal on R25

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Norcold Refrigerator Removal on R25

Postby Trinity on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi All

I need to pull the Refrigerator out of my R25.

I can't find a post on this topic.
If there is a post, can someone point me at it?
If there isn't a post, can someone share any wisdom/tips on the procedure?

Thanks,

Kerry and Nancy on Trinity
Trinity

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic

Re: Norcold Refrigerator Removal on R25

Postby steveandtina on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:33 pm

kerry and nancy,, you did not mention what year your tug is-- i pulled my norcold out of my 2007 a couple of years ago for reasons that escape me now...i remember Andrew asking me at one of the reunions how the hell did i do it --- as at that time, the units we literally installed prior to the cabinet.. i wound up using a flat bar and hammer along with a sawsall with a stainess blade to cut the mounting bolts... it was not an easy job--- probably doesn't ,but i hope this helps,,, steve :)
steveandtina

City: auburn
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: CHRISTINA BEE

Postby Trinity on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm

thanks Steve. It's a very early 2008 R25, hull number 46. --Kerry
Trinity

Postby sparky on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:27 pm

We discovered that we had to remove the forward dinette seat before we could pull the fridge all the way out. Too bad I already had the fridge 95% out and realized there was just not enough clearance to finish the job.... :evil: :twisted: (2009 R25)
Sparky (Monika)
MoonBeam 2017 Cutwater 24
MoonBeam 2001 36' Endeavour Trawler Cat (selling)
Starry Night 2009 R-25 (sold)
Melbourne, Fl
sparky

City: Melbourne
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-24
Non-Ranger Model: 36' Endeavour Trawler Catamaran
Vessel Name: MoonBeam

Postby baz on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:00 pm

sparky wrote:We discovered that we had to remove the forward dinette seat before we could pull the fridge all the way out. Too bad I already had the fridge 95% out and realized there was just not enough clearance to finish the job.... :evil: :twisted: (2009 R25)

Could you have taken the fridge door off to help with this issue ?
Barry & Jake (Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB Hero Red Est. Delivery Mar 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 Outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby steveandtina on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:50 pm

the fridge door removal would certainly gain an extra 1inch +/- but i certainly didn't have that issue . prior to reinstalling i did then enlarge the opening and retrimed the unit in teak. [for future removal which we all know will come into play ;) see you guys soon, steveandtina
steveandtina

Postby Trinity on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Andrew confirmed that with a Norcold it's a very difficult removal as outlined by SteveandTina. As a result I'm doing my freshwater plumbing work by removing the heater under the helm and working my left hand into the appropriate area behind the refrigerator. I'm not as brave as SteveandTina :oops:
Trinity

Postby steveandtina on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:26 pm

you do have one other option, then we should put this thread out of its mnisery :lol: you could easily install a flush mount access cover right where you stand.. [west marine, fisheries, any good marine hardware store] above the heater.. the next time i have plumbing issues in that part of the boat, that will be my permanent solution :!: see ya at the rondivue :D
steveandtina

Postby KentSidel on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Hello, Tugnuts,

Need your specific input on how to locate the holding bracket for the Norcold refrigerator on our 2008 R-25.

Mark at Wefings and Andrew at Ranger have been exceptionally responsive to my queries, but neither have direct experience in removing the fridge from its cabinet.

It appears my fridge is not attached in any way at the top, bottom, or sides. Yet it refuses to move forward.

Kenny Marrs at Ranger says there are two L brackets in the back which hold it in. Problem is, I can't find them or figure out how to find them.

I've stuck a mirror in the round access port in the cabinet to the right of the fridge, but all I see is the back of another box.

Anyone with any first hand experience?

Kent
Sarah Grey
2008 R-25
KentSidel

City: Hilton Head Island
State/Province: SC
Vessel Name: Sarah Grey

Postby steveandtina on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 pm

HI KENT, WE ARE CURRENTLY BUILDING A HOUSE AND THEREFORE I HAVENT HAD TIME FOR MUCH TUGNUTTING... IF IN FACT YOUR MOUNTING BRACKETS ARE ON TOP AND TO THE REAR OF THE UNIT AND NON ACCESSIBLE, THAT HAS TO BE THE STUPIDIST INSTALL IMAGINABLE ,, WHAT THE HELL, ANDREW?? DID WE THINK THE FRIDGE WOULD RUN FOREVER :roll: :roll: KEEP LOOKING FOR A FLOOR MOUNT BRACKET AND LET THE SAWSALL DO IT'S WORK... BEEN THERE ,,, DONE THAT ,,, THAT SHIP HAS SAILED,,,,, STEVE [LESSER HALF OF STEVEANDTINA] :?
steveandtina

Postby NorthernFocus on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm about to embark on this adventure of removing the refrig from my 2008 R25. From what I gather reading here the thing is bolted down to the deck and the bolts have to be cut. Correct? Any idea how far from the front of the fridge the bolts are located? IOW how long of a blade is needed? Any other words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Wasilla
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby DBBRanger on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:23 am

I can add a couple of things. My refrig was replaced before I bought the boat so not sure exactly how it was held in place. I know I have a inspection port on the aft side of the refrig coming in from the cabinet at the floor. Also have one in the back of the same cabinet. I suspect one or both were added to access the back of the refrig. My boat is not available at the moment to do any measuring, however. Also, I had to replace the refrig and found I had to take the aft cabin door and trim off to get it out of the cabin. It wasn't as big of a job as I thought it might be, but had to be done. This was all after I removed the door from the refrig to get it out into the walkway and through the hole where the cabin door was.

Good Luck

Doug
DBBRanger

City: Ridgway
State/Province: CO
Vessel Name: Still Crazy

Postby Tug@myHeart on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:05 am

I have removed and reinstalled our norcold. frig door must be removed to extract the whole box... Total pain. As stated the thing will not go thru the door so if fixing it does not work, you will need to uninstall the cabin door too....or remove a window. . I did not run into any blind bolts or screws. I was installing grey water plumbing and controls for a kicker. There are pics in my album of this. I also blocked off several thru hull ports that are not used anymore. Had to cut a hole in the back of the galley cabinets for access to all that....now we have a cover plate for future access. The norcol does work very well on a full 12vdc charge....almost too good.

Just a thought the hinges for the captains chair has screws that could grab the side of the frig and keep it from coming out.
Tug@myHeart

City: Fiddletown
Non-Ranger Model: 20' Design Concepts Welded Alum 135hp Fishing Boat
Vessel Name: Tug At My Heart

Postby NorthernFocus on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks for the input, folks. Learning from others' experience can save a lot of surprises. As it stands the worklist is growing and considering difficulty and return on invested effort, the fridge may slip a spot or two in the level of priority.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Wasilla
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby doke01 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Can anyone give any more specifics on removing the fridge? I know from reading this you need to cut the mounting bolts. I see that the feet of the fridge look like they are attached to two rails. Are these the bolts that are cut? Also, are all four feet bolted? Finally, are there any brackets in the back that I need to worry about? Our fridge died and I want to try to fix it first before replacing it but to do either I need to get it out.

Thanks.
Doug Kersten
Captain
Nauti Dream (2007)
doke01

City: W. Keansburg
State/Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Nauti Dream (2007)

Next

Return to General Technical Discussion