Winterizing Your Ranger 25 - Part 2

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Winterizing Your Ranger 25 - Part 2

Postby IdleUp on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:34 am

Winterizing You Ranger 25 wash-down and head intake - Part 2

Part two of my winterizing thread, is the modification of the water intake for the seawater wash-down and head intake. This mod additionally doubles as an emergency shutoff, in the unlikely event you have problems with either of these two systems while out to sea, and need to keep the engine running.

The modification consists of installing two additional shut-off valves, one on the wash down, and the other provides seawater for the head. These valves essentially “lock” the RV antifreeze solution in the appliances and hoses. Rather than mechanically attaching the shut-off valves direct to the strainer body, I choose to use a short hose in the unlikely event someone should step on the valves to avoid damaging the strainer assembly.

On my Ranger, I improved the factory installation of the seawater wash-down pump location. Since the pump was very close to the strainer, the hose was looped to get it on the pump. The pump inlet is O-ring supported, and there was a considerable amount of side pressure on the intake fitting. I relocated the pump and supported it to the plywood platform under the holding tank. This provided me an improved layout for the shut-off valves as well.

The Ranger 25 uses a pretty neat strainer assembly, to avoid having extra hull fittings, this strainer is equipped with three separate outlets, one main line to the intake of the engine seawater pump, and two smaller outlets to the wash-down and the head.

The Head - To winterize the head and raw water washdown, you simply shut off strainer main water intake valve on the hull, remove the plastic strainer top, and pour the RV solution directly in the strainer until it it’s full. Next, pump the head until you see the red solution in both the head then into the holding tank. The tank is visible in the rear of the engine compartment. To complete that system, just shut off the valve. In part 3, I’ll cover protecting the holding tank and macerator circuit.

SeaWater Wash-down - After making sure the strainer is full of solution again, the sea-water wash-down is winterized by starting the pump until the solution is drawn into the pump and lines, and comes out the hose fitting. Be sure to close the seawater pump shut-off valve you installed.

Engine - The Cummins & Yanmar engines use a closed circuit cooling system which means the block is cooled in a conventional method with anti-freeze somewhat like your automobile. However, where it differs is; instead of cooling with a radiator and air, the engines employ a heat exchanger that uses seawater to cool the heated coolant from the block. Luckily, the folks at Ranger use this closed circuit side of the engine system for the cabin heater and the Aux. heat for the water heater, so we don't have to worry about winterizing these systems.

At which time you get ready to winterize the seawater circuit of your engine, you’ll perform a similar process of drawing solution in the engine seawater pump from the strainer. You’ll need an extra hand to pour the solution in the strainer. Make sure you have a number of gallons ready, so you can quickly pour them into the strainer. Continue filling the strainer and running the engine in short bursts to draw in the solution and look for it to appear coming out the flapper on the exhaust.

On my Ranger, since we use it all winter here in Virginia, rather than go through this process each time we go out, I chose to install a few BoatSafe Heaters for the engine room. This unit is a safe 110 v heater available in different wattages. The BoatSafe heater automatically kicks on at 45 degrees, then kicks back off at 55 degrees. Of course, the only downside of these heaters is in the event of a power outage, you could end up with some damage to the engine.

To complete the job, carefully reinstall the strainer & plastic cover. If you chose to not winterize the engine, be sure to re-open your intake valve on the hull, then start the engine and visually make sure the water is flowing in the strainer and there is water coming out of the exhaust. As a habit, I'll always check for water discharge every time I fire up the engine.

Double check your valves and fitting, to make sure everything is tight, and there’s not any leaks.

Enjoy – Mike Mas

This is an image of the original "stock" layout of the seawater wash-down and the head intake on the strainer. Note loop and location of the wash-down pump.

This image shows the new completed system with the two valves in place and the relocated wash-down pump. This allowed me to have an improved layout of the hoses and easier access. This image shows the strainer cover as well.

Here’s a shot showing my BoatSafe heater installed in the engine room. I have two heaters installed in my Ranger for redundancy. The other heater is mounted in the storage compartment, (not shown) which heats both the engine room and some heat is channeled in the cabin area by leaving the cabin step cracked open an inch or so.

Last edited by IdleUp on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.
IdleUp

City: Moneta
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Linda Sue

Re: Winterizing Your Ranger 25 - Part 2

Postby ron cowan on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Am I understanding that the cabin heat and aux. heat are coming off the raw water side on the engine cooling system? Maybe I am mistaken but I thiught the cabin heat on my 2006 21' (not EC) came off the closed loop side of the engine cooling system. This would already have antifreeze. Any 21' owners that can answer this, or if Andrew sees this maybe he can reply. A great thread going considering the time of the year at hand.
ron cowan

City: athens
State/Province: AL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21
Vessel Name: LIL' TOOT

Re: Winterizing Your Ranger 25 - Part 2

Postby IdleUp on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Nope, it was my mistake, I have no idea why I added that line of text when Andrew confirmed me a few weeks ago the cabin heater and and water heater are on the closed circuit. I corrected the mistake.

Thanks for spotting it.
IdleUp

City: Moneta
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Linda Sue

Return to General Technical Discussion