Carpeting the Cave

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Carpeting the Cave

Postby LADYBUG TOO on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

We use the cave on Ladybug, Too to stow gear so we have removed the cushions. Has anyone used indoor/outdoor carpeting in the cave? We have seen some vinyl or rubberized material but it looks expensive and may not be good for the plywood decking. Suggestions appreciated.

Pat, Ladybug, Too
LADYBUG TOO

City: Pensacola
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: LADYBUG, TOO

Re: Carpeting the Cave

Postby Nellie Too on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:23 pm

We used the same carpet that is used in the cabin and the cockpit and had the factory order it for us. It works very well and is non-skid. It was expensive and maybe you could find something similar at a carpet store that would be less expensive.
Bob and Nita
Nellie Too

City: Anacortes
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: (2009) Nellie Too

Postby Zundels on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:34 am

We pulled the nice and probably expensive beige stripped colored carpet that came with our R-25 out and used it as a template to cut a more durable indoor/outdoor mat or carpet.

We found a dark (hides more dirt) outdoor looped low pile carpet that has rubber backing and the color works too. We found it on a role at the hardware store and it is used as a hallway runner I think. If the store has lots of inventory I have seen the wide role that would cover the width of my space without any splicing. Otherwise carpet tape holds well with two narrower strips.

The good news about this floor covering, I can preserve the original carpet, it does not harm the nice wood floors and we can clean it easy-vacuum it or pull it out and hose it off. And it does not costs much so it can be replaced after a season or two.

We store the original carpet to use as a template or when we stop fishing and want to retire and relax on the R-25.

Don
Zundels

City: Kodiak
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: (2009) Kya Rose

Postby Bruce Moore on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:54 pm

We went to Bed "Boats" and Beyond a chose from a selection of inexpensive, latex-backed area rugs. They come in a variety of dimensions and patterns.

Here's an example or two.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Soundtrack - coming soon!
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby davidguetta402 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 am

Bruce Moore wrote:We went to Bed "Boats" and Beyond a chose from a selection of inexpensive, latex-backed area rugs. They come in a variety of dimensions and patterns.

Here's an example or two.

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks for these examples and I guess these examples are really helpful and I found another example like this, here is the link https://www.pennysaviour.com/
davidguetta402

City: Nashville
State/Province: TN

Postby BB marine on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:30 am

We purchased a good quality area rug from HomeGoods on sale. I used the foam cushion that came with the boat as a template. Cut it and installed. I chose not to use rubber backed because the deck in our cave is all plywood. I wanted a backing that could breath. The rug is a thick pile so if our grand kids want to sleep in the cave it is like sleeping on the floor at home. We use the area for storage mostly.

Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby rackline on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:24 am

We fitted interlocking anti fatigue mat squares. Probably not the best for breathability, but it's easy on the knees when rooting around in the cave. And it has made the the cave much more comfortable for sleeping because it keeps the cushions from bottoming out. https://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-4-pc-62389.html
rackline

City: Marshfield Hills
State/Province: MA
Non-Ranger Model: 17' Finestkind, previous Friendship Sloop
Vessel Name: Headway

Postby YukonRon on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:43 pm

We chose a cheap indoor/outdoor style carpet with no rubber backing for reasons as mentioned earlier; we wanted it to breath. We are now regretting it. Despite my best efforts at tucking the edges in under the trim work, it moves and bunches up when we slide gear in and out. It is a royal PITA to remove all the gear and crawl in to straighten it out regularly, or fight with the humps in the carpet. I suspect we will be replacing it soon.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby BB marine on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:44 pm

YukonRon wrote:We chose a cheap indoor/outdoor style carpet with no rubber backing for reasons as mentioned earlier; we wanted it to breath. We are now regretting it. Despite my best efforts at tucking the edges in under the trim work, it moves and bunches up when we slide gear in and out. It is a royal PITA to remove all the gear and crawl in to straighten it out regularly, or fight with the humps in the carpet. I suspect we will be replacing it soon.

Use carpet tape ( double sided ) I had the same issue. I put it on the corners and 3" strips on each of the sides. Fit it in place. Never moves.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby YukonRon on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks Brian. I will consider the tape. I'm a bit worried about tape residue on the floor if the tape stays on a while; but it would be an easy solution.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Return to General Technical Discussion