I've never owned a boat without back up power

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

I've never owned a boat without back up power

Postby harry ames on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Has anyone added a kicker motor bracket to an R21 o3 EC? It looks like it could be done relatively easily. I've done the search function on the forum and don't see anything. I'd like to add a small kicker, Honda 5hp or the like. I'm really proficient at carrying needed spare parts to get the primary motor running on my boats, and have only had a couple of occasions to need to fire up a back up motor quickly, but i did have those occasions. I know the small diesels are pretty reliable, but.
1997 R21 Classic named Poopsy
Retired rocket scientist
Following my passion as an Author of the Harold Oliver Detective books published on Amazon
Mostly boat western inland lakes
Owned a loaded C-Dory 22 before Poopsy
harry ames

City: providence
State/Province: UT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21
Vessel Name: Poopsy

Re: I've never owned a boat without back up power

Postby LAKERtoo on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi Harry .. I have a 2005 R21 Classic. I'm going to be adding an "outboard pod" to the boat in the next few months. I was lucking enough to find a guy locally that helped install one on 2 different boats and has the pattern for the bits and pieces .. I want the security of a back up motor when you're 20-30 miles away and there is little traffic around. I know the diesel is reliable, but if you can't find the problem, don't have the right spare etc, you aren't going anywhere .. This one will handle a 9.9 electric start, power tilt with remote steering . If you contact me , I'll send you photos of what I have .. Cheers Rob
LAKERtoo

City: Port Alberni
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: RIBBIT

Postby knotflying on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Not sure what services area available out your way, but you can buy quite a few years of towing insurance for the cost of a good kicker.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Kenaithab on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 am

At the Seattle Boat Show Andrew showed me a very slick two piece low profile kicker bracket that mounts easily onto the swim step. I think it would fill your needs perfectly. I don't remember the name of the mount but Andrew could tell you. I too want to be able to mount a kicker on the swim step for trolling and backup power. Since the swim step is so low, I am hoping that a short shaft outboard can serve both as a kicker and my inflatable outboard. Does anyone know if a short shaft can be used as a kicker mounted on the swim step?
Kenaithab

City: Kenai
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Non-Ranger Model: Silver Streak
Vessel Name: Morning Glory

Postby jld on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 am

Kenaithab wrote:At the Seattle Boat Show Andrew showed me a very slick two piece low profile kicker bracket that mounts easily onto the swim step. I think it would fill your needs perfectly. I don't remember the name of the mount but Andrew could tell you. I too want to be able to mount a kicker on the swim step for trolling and backup power. Since the swim step is so low, I am hoping that a short shaft outboard can serve both as a kicker and my inflatable outboard. Does anyone know if a short shaft can be used as a kicker mounted on the swim step?

Maybe it was this one from the Ranger website photos of the new R23?

http://www.rangertugs.com/Userfiles/Boa ... 850--N.jpg

Jim
jld

City: New Market
State/Province: MD
Non-Ranger Model: WWP15
Vessel Name: Coqui

Postby harry ames on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:39 am

knotflying wrote:Not sure what services area available out your way, but you can buy quite a few years of towing insurance for the cost of a good kicker.

Already own 3 kickers, so I'm good with adding one. Lake Powell is very dicey when it comes to contacting towing services. Few of us hang out in the main channels with good line of sight to NPS or Aramark who provide towing. If you are several miles up a side canyon, the best places on the lake, then you need to get out of the canyon to get services. So, a kicker is pretty important for that location. I do have towing through boat U.S. Your point is well taken for anything coastal. But I'm one of those people who wont ask for directions when I'm lost and would rather suffer terrible conditions than to ask for help because my one engine is dead. Not rational, I know, but it is the way I am.
Retired rocket scientist
Following my passion as an Author of the Harold Oliver Detective books published on Amazon
harry ames

Postby Red Raven on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:39 am

I have the (Bolton) bracket discussed above on our R27 for this purpose. Our short shaft Yamaha 6hp dinghy motor is also our get to safety motor for the tug. I'm the same when it comes to not being comfortable without a backup. There are pictures of the set up in our gallery.

However, I'm not sure how functional it would really be if needed. I have never had to use it for the this purpose as our Volvo D3 has been totally reliable. 6hp is pretty small to push the R27 any significant distance. If there were any wind or current it would be pretty useless. None the less, it makes me feel better to know I have the option to "try" to maneuver to someplace I can temporarily anchor until the tow boat arrives.

Note that even without the bracket if you have a dinghy and motor you could secure the dinghy to the tug and use it to do the same thing. In my case I need to drop the dinghy anyway to use the Bolton bracket on the swim step.

Of course a 5 or 6hp would be much more effective on the R21.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby Commander Ed on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:27 pm

See my previous posting (with pictures) of my "kicker" solution.
Commander Ed

City: Cardiff by the Sea
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Sea Dragon

Postby Charlesdykman on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:52 pm

About 6 months ago, I was looking for something, and one of the marine companies, I think, had a bracket which installed on the swim platform, permitting a small outboard to be attached. I can't remember the company. Honeybear. WI
Charlesdykman

City: Monona
State/Province: WI
Non-Ranger Model: Century Cardel
Vessel Name: Partnership
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby stwendl on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:48 pm

So how would one actually control an outboard mounted there while at the steering station win only me person on board? I would think side tying a dingy would work better.
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby SGIDAVE on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Commander Ed wrote:See my previous posting (with pictures) of my "kicker" solution.

HEllo Ed,

Can you share the source for your swim step kicker bracket?

Thanks!

dave
Dave
2013 Ranger R21-EC For Sale - (http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9194)
SGIDAVE

City: Dublin
State/Province: GA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Tug Tide (2013)
MMSI Number: 338162327

Postby SGIDAVE on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:12 pm

stwendl wrote:So how would one actually control an outboard mounted there while at the steering station win only me person on board? I would think side tying a dingy would work better.

Using the helm as normal will work fine (leaving the kicker at fixed throttle setting and "straight ahead" thrust position).

If you are using your back up propulsion due to damage to BOTH the prop/rudder, then a simple tiller extension will allow you to control the kicker's throttle and turn angle whilst remaining in the relative safety of the cockpit. The extensions come in either a 'fixed' length or a telescopic version - like thisImage

dave
Dave
2013 Ranger R21-EC For Sale - (http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9194)
SGIDAVE

City: Dublin
State/Province: GA
Vessel Name: Tug Tide (2013)
MMSI Number: 338162327

Postby LADYBUG TOO on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:20 pm

Somehow when I look at all of the single engine airplanes flying around, I just don't get too concerned about not having back-up power on Ladybug, Too. I have a good anchor and I have had to use it more than once. I also pay my Tow Boat US policy up on time every time. That being said, it would be nice if ......

Pat
Ladybug, Too
LADYBUG TOO

City: Pensacola
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: LADYBUG, TOO

Postby harry ames on Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Boat goes into the shop next week for a custom built port side stern kicker mount. Pix will be along after that. It will cost a bundle, but the shop techs are OCD about how these things are mounted and braced.
Retired rocket scientist
harry ames

Postby xboss on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Can I ask what length kicker you went with? I'm almost thinking 20" would be just right...

Thanks
xboss

City: Portland
State/Province: OR

Next

Return to General Technical Discussion