Unknown Drains

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Unknown Drains

Postby rpmerrill on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:15 am

I discovered four drains that dump into the engine compartment from unknown places. Two on each side. Each is a ~ a half inch hole molded into the hull inner linerThe were plugged with schmutz. I was able to clean a couple out. I got about a gallon of water into the bilge. A couple are still pretty well plugged - only dripping. What space are they connected to? Are there any tricks to keeping them clean like regular flushing from various directions?

Looking for advice. Thanks.
rpmerrill

City: Easton
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: BAY RANGER

Re: Unknown Drains

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:36 am

The weep holes you're referring to in the engine compartment, on our R27, are for additional drainage from the port and starboard lockers. To clean them out run a hard wire or a straightened cloth's hanger into and out of them to help loosen the junk.

Jim
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby knotflying on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:13 am

In some instances the packing was never removed from the channel and the water does not drain properly. If your hanger can't go in easy enough, you can use a long drill bit and go in no more than 14". This will clear out any of the foam that may not have been removed.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Osprey on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:05 pm

The drain on port side near the "steep" on the floor of the engine compartment drains the compartment in which the rear thruster motor and electronics are located. Water build up in this compartment can be serious bad news. Water may seep into the thruster components causing mal-function. One such mal-function can be spontaneous thruster activation.
Osprey

City: Sea
State/Province: BC

Postby SnugTug on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:35 pm

Does anyone have a pic(s) of the holes being discussed? having a hard time visualizing and won't get to Snug Tug until next week.

Thanks in advance.
John & Danielle McNichol
Snug Tug
Glen Mills, PA
SnugTug

City: Glen Mills
State/Province: PA
Vessel Name: Snug Tug
MMSI Number: 338189857

Postby Red Raven on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Port side weep holes photo.

Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby SnugTug on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Thanks Curt. I learn something every time I login.
John & Danielle McNichol
Snug Tug
Glen Mills, PA
SnugTug

City: Glen Mills
State/Province: PA
Vessel Name: Snug Tug
MMSI Number: 338189857

Postby CAPTCRUNCH on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:56 am

The majority opinion is that there are 4 of these drains, but I'm pretty sure I have 6 (I guess I'll have to go count again)...check the very front corners of the engine room under the "bridge deck."
CAPTCRUNCH

City: ANNAPOLIS
Non-Ranger Model: 1975 CAL 229 AUX Sloop
Vessel Name: CAL:Cat's Meow/R-27:GADGET
MMSI Number: 338167527

Postby rpmerrill on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:33 pm

I'd like to re-post this topic one more time.

I have never been able to find where these drains connect up to. I have looked all around the cockpit in the various lockers and still don't understand them. I can't find the drains or figure out how they connect to there engine compartment outlets. I understand how rogue waves, heavy rains and wash-down can can introduce water into the port and starboard lockers but I have never seen more than a splash in there.

BUT I know they are draining. I can see watermarks down in there. AND as luck would have it, the water that drains out, runs down and collects all around the engine mounts, making them ugly and rusty. I'll post a photo in my album.

To top this all off, today I saw something new. I had been running at about 15 mph for about an hour in very smooth, calm water. I shut down (that part of the story will have to go in another post). I opened the cockpit hatch to do an inspection and water was pouring out of these drains into the bilge, activating the bilge pump. I looked into the three other cockpit lockers and they were ALL DRY.

So tell me again where these four drains connect and what they are draining.
rpmerrill

City: Easton
Vessel Name: BAY RANGER

Postby Red Raven on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:13 am

In addition to the cockpit lockers two of the weep holes come from the stern thruster compartment under the stern seat. It is my understanding that early R27s used this space also as a propane locker. Later boats have a storage compartment under the seat. In either case you should check to make sure there is not water in that compartment.
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby tkaustin on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Red Raven posted a wonderful photo on this thread showing the location of these weep holes on that boat. However, I'm having the same problem of water standing around the stern thruster on my R25-SC, and my boat is different than that picture. (It is a hybrid, as the hull was built in 2010 and the upper was built the next year)

Apparently on 2010 boats, the weep holes are somewhere else. I'm just not finding them, either on my boat, or in this forum.

Will someone explain, or show, where the weep holes are for both port & Starboard stern compartments on a 2010 (or earlier)? (The same puddling is occurring on starboard, where my depth sounder is located.)
tkaustin

City: Hugo
State/Province: MN
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: coming soon to a stern

Postby DMR on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Tkaustin, did you get a response (3 years ago)? I just discovered 4 gallons of fresh water that had been pooling under my batteries in the port locker. For how many months?? Water probably from cleaning with scuppers not draining. Anyway, I sponged out the water. I tried running a wire down the only visible weep hole but it was a dead end and would not drain. Should I drill out the hole?
DMR

City: Inverness
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Seaglass

Postby Matty on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:20 am

Before drilling I would try a plumbers snake. Drilling more holes when you do not know what is on the other side would worry me.
If boat is out of water maybe some draino if you can flush it well afterward?
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby ALICE J on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 am

Water, Water, everywhere, but not a drop in the right place. There is a latticework of stringers and ribs under the generator/battery compartments and also under the storage area on starboard cockpit side. I found this out after putting my foot through the storage flooring while lifting out an anchor. Checking the battery side, same rot! Replaced all the wood with PVC 3/4" board. I also found drains at the very back of each compartment (stainless steel grill like plates) that emptied into the mysterious unknown drain area. Then I found seawater, in a following sea, was coming under the aft boarding door and flowing into the lockers, port or starboard depending on the tilt of the boat (the hatch gasket was not sealing), then into the compartments and then into the aft drains in the compartments. If you see a brown stain from the weeping limber holes, suspect rot. The limber holes into the engine bilge have a lip on the inside that dams a pool of water in that concealed area below the compartments, hence it never completely empties, but may evaporate over time in a dry area such a when the boat is in storage.
ALICE J

City: WEST PALM BEACH
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: ALICE J
MMSI Number: NONEHERES

Postby BB marine on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:15 am

I'm not sure that any model or year is the same. I was sent this photo of the limber holes but it doesn't show the exact location on my boat. A few are missing. My boat has more. There are many areas water can get trapped and rely on the limber holes to be clear . The limber holes that get plugged frequently are the cockpit storage compartments and aft prop tunnel bilge area. The first time I cleaned the limber holes the largest culprit of obstruction was debris from when the boat was built. There is foam used during the build of the stringer system. The foam can get into the limber holes during this process. That is an issue and must be cleared out completely to get good drainage. I had this issue from the bow bilge to engine compartment and starboard side of the prop tunnel collected water. I had no drainage. I found the limber hole plugged with foam. This area was to long to drill ,wire was not stiff enough. I went to a boat shop and asked if they had an old outboard or stern drive shift cable. The shop had one that was unusable so they gave it to me. The plastic jacketed cable was rigid enough to push and break up the debris (mostly foam, one chunk that I pushed through was 2" long and was completely plugging the limber tube). After clearing all the holes with the cable I made up a 5/16" diameter hose ( 3/4" hose adapter reduced to 1/4" barb fitting) I pushed the hose thru the limber holes with water pressure to clear them. I haven't had an issue with them plugging since. I check them during winterizing each year using my old shift cable. (Special tool for my Cutwater)

This is a photo of cable similar to what I used. I removed the inner cable and only use the outer sheath. This cable is also great for pulling wires when doing installs.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 1911995013

Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Return to General Technical Discussion