Radar

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Re: Radar

Postby baz on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 am

CaspersCruiser: That's comforting to know, as RT claims there really is no need for us to add additional radar reflection to our boats. :D
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby Red Raven on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:21 pm

On the boat now with radar on with gain set to Auto. Lots of boats around and everyone is detected and no false positives except around the big tankers. :D
Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby CaspersCruiser on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:49 pm

A couple nights ago that the radar alerted me to the towboat, when I activated the radar the gain was set to 90% and the display was a big blob. After reducing gain to 65%, the display was more normal and the towboat popped right up about 1/2 mile ahead as well as a 27' Marinette (aluminum cruiser) 1/4 mile behind. I'm unsure why the gain produced different results than earlier trips. I've got a lot to learn.
CaspersCruiser

City: Goshen
State/Province: KY
Non-Ranger Model: 2002 Four Winns Funship 214, 1984 Sea Ray 210CC

Postby BB marine on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:55 pm

I am still in the learning process of interpreting images on the radar. This is our second season with our Cutwater. While I have been boating for a number of years I never had the need for radar for the type of boating we did. I have installed radars on boats for customers and understood the basics but never really navigated with Radar ( boat deliveries are not normally done in the Fog or Dark). So now has we prepare to do some extensive cruising in our boat the importance of understanding the functions and navigating with radar is important. Last season I used the radar while cruising to familiarize myself with what images look like on the radar when I can actually see them thru the windshield. Only twice did I need and use the radar for navigational purpose. I was on the Tennessee river (George Wheeler lake) in a wide section. I was following the magenta line. I couldn't see where the next maker was. I used radar with overlay on the plotter. The radar picked up the marker and I found the magenta line was off approx. 15 degrees to the actually channel. This season as resent as last Saturday I used the radar for navigation on Lake Michigan. We left Racine Harbor Wis. heading south to Waukegan Il. Partly sunny day plenty of boats out , so we headed 5 miles off shore to avoid some of the boat traffic, now south for an 1.5 hours cruising at 7KTS and all at once a fog bank rolled in. Less then 1/4 mile visibility. I didn't know if it was going to get worse further south so I turned and headed back using my active tracks on the plotter and Radar. Unfortunately the fog prompted a number of fishing boats, sail boats and pleasure boats that were out further in the lake to head in. We crossed paths bow and stern. I could see them on the radar. When some of the boats got close enough I did make visual contact. I probably would have made it back to the harbor with out the radar but it gave me an extra layer of safety. Using my active tracks was a plus too. It brought me right back to the harbor. I'm still a novice at electronic navigating but learning! As far as gain level I have mine set at 58%. I can see the difference from break walls and shore , harbor openings seem clearer, And I don't pick up distant clutter. I'm not sure if its the best but so far thats what I'm using .
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Previous

Return to General Technical Discussion