Leaving A/C On Unattended in Slip

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Leaving A/C On Unattended in Slip

Postby CaspersCruiser on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:35 pm

My R27 stays in a slip about 10 minutes from my house. I have been leaving the overhead hatches in the "cracked" position to allow at least some interior ventilation while I'm away. I've not detected any rainwater intrusion from this practice. Now that sustained periods of hot weather have arrived in Kentucky, today I tried out the A/C while I worked on a project. This is my first boat with A/C (it's heavenly!) and I don't know the do's or don't's of marine A/C. Lots of the big cruisers in my marina are left unattended with the A/C running. What are the pros/cons of doing so with a Ranger Tug besides a higher electric bill?
CaspersCruiser

City: Goshen
State/Province: KY
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2002 Four Winns Funship 214, 1984 Sea Ray 210CC

Re: Leaving A/C On Unattended in Slip

Postby Chimo on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 am

Back when we lived in MD and "enjoyed" the summer heat and humidity I faced the same issue, albeit on a different boat. My objective was to reduce humidity rather than temperature and reduce the possibility of mold. Instead of running the expensive boat a/c system (wear and tear) I bought a small Sears dehumidifier and left that running with the discharge into the sink and overboard. I set the humidity at 55%. The unit lasted years and I had no mold problems. Running costs were much lower as well. Just an idea.
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby ALICE J on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 am

There is a water pump on your AC that is pulling water into your beloved Ranger Tug. Should a hose or fitting on you AC fail and water starts to fill up your Tug, do your have an automatic alert system that calls you. And would you have the proper time to respond. Use the AC to keep you cool, and turn it off to keep your Tug dry !
ALICE J

City: WEST PALM BEACH
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: ALICE J
MMSI Number: NONEHERES

Postby knotflying on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:19 am

I agree with Alice J. It is a double edge sword. I would probably take the gamble, and have, if I checked all my hoses and fittings beforehand and made sure my bilge pumps were working. Chances are if someone was around they would hear your high water alarm and the boat being a bit low. Make sure your insurance is paid up and you should be good to go.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Return to General Technical Discussion