Trolling valve identification?

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Trolling valve identification?

Postby Bmacpiper on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi there,
We're looking at used 31's, and I'm wondering about how to determine the presence or absence of a trolling valve.

On one boat, the specs do not mention a trolling valve, nor does it have downrigger pads. However, on all the throttle controls, there is a "low speed" button instead of a blank.

Does the presence of this button indicate the presence of a trolling/low speed valve, or is it simply prewired for the eventuality that a valve might be added?

If I'm looking in the engine compartment, what does the valve look like? Anyone have a photo by chance?

Thanks all,
Ben
Bmacpiper

City: Bainbridge Island
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory 22 cruiser
Vessel Name: Big Blue

Re: Trolling valve identification?

Postby sjreib on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:18 pm

On my 2016 C28 with a Volvo D4 the low speed button was there on the throttle, but I didn't have the "Trolling Valve" installed when new.
It was added by plugging a company laptop into the engine and downloading a program. It's a software setting, not hardware on the D4. Apparently not available on the D3.

On a friend's older R27(about 2012) it was a hardware piece near the rear seat in the cockpit that needed to be turned on.

Steve R
sjreib

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Gabbiano
MMSI Number: 338212304

Postby Bmacpiper on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:38 pm

sjreib wrote:On my 2016 C28 with a Volvo D4 the low speed button was there on the throttle, but I didn't have the "Trolling Valve" installed when new.
It was added by plugging a company laptop into the engine and downloading a program. It's a software setting, not hardware on the D4. Apparently not available on the D3.

On a friend's older R27(about 2012) it was a hardware piece near the rear seat in the cockpit that needed to be turned on.

Steve R

Thanks Steve, this is interesting. From the factory, the "trolling valve" is nearly a $2,000 option, that seems like an expensive software setting! I read about it being a part that allows the tranny oil to bypass and let the tranny slip when below 1,200 RPM. Hmmmm...

best,
Ben
Bmacpiper

Postby Red Raven on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:09 pm

The price of an option for many modern manufactured items may have little relationship to the cost of the physical parts. The price is based on what people are willing to pay given the options available and the manufacturers overall costs over the total volume of product.

For example, it is my understanding the different horsepower options of the D3 (and I would assume the D4 as well) are selectable by software. Volvo appears to have decided it is more efficient to include all the hardware capability with every engine and enable the desired customer options (including horsepower) via SW. The cost of the extra unused parts (or capability) in the minimal versions are offset by the reduced overhead (having fewer hardware versions, reduced engineering) and reduced reconfiguration labor costs. In the end the customer price is likely to be the same regardless the implementation.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby sjreib on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:35 pm

I should mention that the trolling valve AKA lo speed setting was included in my purchase order, but not present on my demo C28(19 hrs) when delivered. I did not pay for it as an add-on.

I did not get the thruster remote, but plan to add that so I can single hand more easily.

Steve
sjreib

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Gabbiano
MMSI Number: 338212304

Postby nzfisher on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Get an opinion on the usefulness of the trolling valve from other R31 owners before you get one. I have one on my 25 and might be useful on a lake but not any where else.
nzfisher

City: corvallis
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Swims with Tuna

Postby Bmacpiper on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:35 pm

OK, thanks for the feedback everyone! I've also considered a kicker of some sort, but of course would like to take advantage of the included aft steering station for fishing. Hmmm...
Ben
Bmacpiper

Return to General Technical Discussion