Television reception signal

Have a tech question or tidbit you wish to share with the other Ranger Tug owners? Post it here.

Television reception signal

Postby vicwa67 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. The previous owner of our R-27 installed the KVH TracVision satellite antenna with a DirecTv receiver. There appears to also be an over-the-air TV antenna. Is this over-the-air TV antenna standard equipment? I can get the DirecTV signal to the TV set. I do not get programming because I do not have a DirecTV account, but I found the DirecTV signal. I can not find the over-the-air TV signal. Is there an over-the-air signal booster in the R-27? If so, where? Thanks.

Wayne Bernhardt
R-27, Tuggo
vicwa67

City: Holland
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Tuggo

Re: Television reception signal

Postby baz on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Not a silly question at all.

I have a brand new 2018 R-27 Outboard model which has the stock Majestic 19" TV with 'over-the-air' antenna. I've tried scanning for TV signals at various places and each time zero channels are detected.

I ask RT at the recent Roche Harbour meeting about this and one of the RT technicians there poured over the boats cables, connections and what not and found no issue. The problem ticket is open and RT assures me they will fix it no matter what the issue is. I await for their communication to me on this matter.
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby vicwa67 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 pm

My TV says "No Signal". I am not getting a signal to the TV. I can not do a channel search without a signal.
vicwa67

City: Holland
Vessel Name: Tuggo

Postby stwendl on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:18 pm

In my r27 the signal booster is behind the stbd fan in the overhead compartment. You see a beige box that has one f-connector input from the antenna along with possibly power to the outside unit, and two outputs, one for tv and one for fm. If the tv is connected to the fm output it would probably not get much signal. The beige box is just snapped in and easily removed for checking. It's also possible to connect the fusion radio to it for better receiption. The default solution on my r27 was just a loose wire. To connect the fusion radio to the booster you need a Motorola to f-connector adaper and about 8ft of cable in between to route inconspicuously. The booster could also have been disconnected or perhaps the fuse is blown.

Hope this helps
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby knotflying on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 am

vicwa67 wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. The previous owner of our R-27 installed the KVH TracVision satellite antenna with a DirecTv receiver. There appears to also be an over-the-air TV antenna. Is this over-the-air TV antenna standard equipment? I can get the DirecTV signal to the TV set. I do not get programming because I do not have a DirecTV account, but I found the DirecTV signal. I can not find the over-the-air TV signal. Is there an over-the-air signal booster in the R-27? If so, where? Thanks.

Wayne Bernhardt
R-27, Tuggo

Perhaps when the previous owner installed the Satellite TV he disconnected the over the air setup. An A/B switch would have been nice so you could have gone between the two. As mentioned, the original booster box should be in the compartment over the helm. Quite frankly, unless you are near a major city the choices of decent channels is limited. If you have AT&T service on your cell, they have some good packages for direct TV. You may want to put your efforts there if you want consistent reception.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:06 pm

thats the situation on my boat. with the satellite system installed the tv aerial is disconnected.
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby baz on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:48 pm

baz wrote:Not a silly question at all.

I have a brand new 2018 R-27 Outboard model which has the stock Majestic 19" TV with 'over-the-air' antenna. I've tried scanning for TV signals at various places and each time zero channels are detected.

I ask RT at the recent Roche Harbour meeting about this and one of the RT technicians there poured over the boats cables, connections and what not and found no issue. The problem ticket is open and RT assures me they will fix it no matter what the issue is. I await for their communication to me on this matter.

The RT technician came to my R-27/OB today at my marina in Edmonds. He spent some 2 hrs working on the TV signal issue. He did fix it. :D

Apparently RT forgot to install a signal booster specifically designed for the Majestic TV. They are installing this booster on all new R-27/OB so I was told.

The 2 hrs was taken up figuring out how to get to the ground, power and coax cable to allow a suitable location for the signal booster. Eventually the technician got it all figured out and the TV can now pick up one local channel at the Marina in my covered slip, which for me is AOK. I suspect things will be better when out of the Marina and in a location with a lot less metal around.

I use the TV primarily with my Apple ATV4, laptop and iPhone using AirPlay to display the Garmin 7612's display on the TV screen at times.... works great.

Thanks RT Customer Service.... you did good work today. :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 pm

On our R29S we have the same booster installed in the port windshield fan compartment. Currently anchored in Eagle Harbor, across from Seattle, we have 51 channels. Granted many of those channels are repeat, shopping etc but it is 51. We've been other places in the last 4 weeks where we've had just a few channels, sometimes none. I'm not surprised you only had one channel under cover Barry, I guess it all depends on ones open view to satellites. Glad you are now connected Barry.

Jim F
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby baz on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Jim: The RT technician was able to locate the signal booster box behind the panel and out of sight at the backside of our Cloth hanger cubby. I can see it if I empty all the cloths and poke my head all the way to the hull side and look upwards with a flash light. Thus, if this booster were to fail at some point I can get to it easily and replace it.

I found out that on my R-27/OB the coax cable from the mast antenna runs down the inside of the mast and into the cabin roof liner (along with other cables) and then routes over to the starboard side and down the midship wood panelling then down and then under the cabin floor and then over to the the port side and then up under the Nav seat steps to the backside of the cloth hanger section and then to the TV. This at first seems way to complicated but the technician surmised the factory and Engineering Dept wanted a single hole in the cabin roof and therefore the resultant tortuous coax cable routing. The benefit to me now is, that I know this. :D :o It pays to watch the 'repair person' doing the work as you do learn things you would otherwise be ignorant about.
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby mrrlc on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:13 pm

I had a Majestic antenna installed by Ranger on my R21EC. The few times I tried it connected to a Majestic TV it works great however I found when I turn on the cabin LED lights there is signal interference which makes the image unacceptable. Have you tried the tv with the cabin lights on yet?
Baz, thanks for all of your great postings.
Bob
mrrlc

City: Kent
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC

Postby baz on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:20 pm

mrrlc wrote:...snip... Have you tried the tv with the cabin lights on yet?
Baz, thanks for all of your great postings.
Bob

No, but will certainly test that as that could be a nuisance for sure... thanks for the heads-up. :)

You're welcomed. We all learn from the collective knowledge this forum delivers to us. :D
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Edmonds, WA
baz

Postby Trisailor on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 am

Greetings all. I discovered an App for my phone on the FCC.gov website called DTV Reception maps. When opened it has a box to enter a zip code and will then display a map with the locations of all the local digital TV stations broadcasting around that area. We used it during a winter cross country motorhome trip and it was a great help positioning the over the air antenna. We also have the 19 majestic TV on our R27, and once it ran through the initial programming routine selected from the menu, we get quite a few stations with decent reception here in the San Diego area. Some from across the border to the south have some interesting programming.
Trisailor

City: Imperial Beach
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Fancy Nancy

Return to General Technical Discussion