MASE Generator Impeller Shredded

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

MASE Generator Impeller Shredded

Postby vicwa67 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 am

I was winterizing my MASE generator and placed the Fake-a-Lake plunger on the wrong thru-hull. Of course, I had no water flow to my MASE generator. Upon correcting my mistake, I still had no water flow out the exhaust. Upon inspection, I found the impeller in pieces. I found 5 of the 6 vanes. The 6th vane and probably the first to shred off is missing and presumed in the engine. I have removed the rubber hoses and found nothing. Will that 6th vane eventually pass out the exhaust? Or, do I need to remove "stuff" until I find it? I have removed the rubber hoses but found nothing. Thanks.

Wayne Bernhardt
Tuggo, R-27
vicwa67

City: Holland
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Tuggo

Re: MASE Generator Impeller Shredded

Postby Connerkip on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 am

Likely it is lodged in the entrance to to heat exchanger tubes. If so, it would be good to remove it so it does not impede flow through the the HX.
Kip Conner
Connerkip

City: Punta Gorda
State/Province: FL
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 30 (2014)
Vessel Name: Going Coastal

Postby daylekuhn on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:44 am

Same thing happen to me. I did not find and remove the missing piece and the gen. would sometimes work with no problem and sometimes sound an alarm with little to no water flow. I burned out the new impeller quickly. I would highly recommend to fine that piece. Mine was at the exchanger as last post stated. Good luck.
daylekuhn

City: saint leonard
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: alittle loopy

Postby captstu on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 am

You can safely remove the hoses from the heat exchanger and back flush it with a little fresh water. This will get out the piece if it’s in there. Sometimes it broke in the such small pieces that they flush through.

Stuart Bell
Ranger 25: Shearwater
(561) 352-1796
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby Brian B on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 am

I had to replace my heat exchanger, there are pics in my photo album. You will be able to see the inlet and outlet ports as well as the mounting holes for reference. Removal and replacement was fairly easy. If you have to remove it you could back flush it with a hose.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby HRowland on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 am

The pump is AFTER the heat exchanger on the Mase, the vane could be lodged in the mixing elbow or it just blew overboard.

Howard
HRowland

City: Warwick
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: 2008 Nordic Tug 37
Vessel Name: (2012) Little Debbie
MMSI Number: 338124238

Postby vicwa67 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 am

FOUND IT!!! It was in the rubber hose between the pump and what I believe is the mixing elbow. I had this hose off yesterday and looked in it and knocked it around, but found nothing. Today, a wet vac sucked out the little piece of rubber vane. Got all six pieces now. Just have to wait on the replacement impeller to arrive next week.

Thanks for all the help.

Wayne Bernhardt
Tuggo, R-27
vicwa67

City: Holland
State/Province: MI
Vessel Name: Tuggo

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory