R-25, What is under the Admiral's seat

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

R-25, What is under the Admiral's seat

Postby captstu on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:05 pm

On our 2010 Ranger 25, the double wide seat on the port side sits over the air conditioning locker. Just forward of the seat, under the footrest, is a 16" long space that is about 12" high, ideal for storage of clothing and night-time goodies.

But, there is no access???? The front of the air conditioning locker is covered with mouse fuzz, the isle side of the space is solid fiberglass and I removed the mattress to find no opening there either.

Happy to cut into it and install a matching door - just curious what I will find when I open the mystery space?

Thanks - using every inch - especially forward inches to help the lengthwise trim to set off the weight of the air conditioner.
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Re: R-25, What is under the Admiral's seat

Postby scross on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Don't do it!!
I thought the same thing. And I did it. Dumb move!!
o First, there's no flat floor in there. Just a bunch of messed up fiberglass curved layups.
o Second, there's a whole bunch of wiring that runs up against the hall side edge that is in the way of a door. Even if you don't cut the wires making the opening (I cut one) they are in the way of using the area for storage and can't be easily moved.
The only positive I got was having better access for wire runs on the port side from bow to stern. In retrospect I would not do it again.
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby nzfisher on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:52 pm

In my boat, R25sc 2011, I cutout through the top below navigators feet. This requires care, good tooling and patience. I am happy with the extra storage ( quite a large if irregular space). If you choose to do this use a good jig saw with high quality high speed steel blades blades that do not extend beyond 2" at bottom of stroke to avoid cutting wires. Turn off all power just in case. Drill larger than 1/2 inch diameter holes at corners to allow change of direction with saw. Material you are cutting through is over 1.5" thick (honeycomb) so slow and steady is the name of the game with blade changes as they get dull. You may have to finish cut corners using alternate tools depending on what you have available. The new removable top is 1" thick teak. See image of cover on opening below.

gallery2.php?g2_itemId=39339
nzfisher

City: corvallis
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Swims with Tuna

Postby captstu on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Thank you both. I guess I'll pass on this extra storage in favor of a more reliable wiring mesh!
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby rick&sue on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Ha!! Wish I read this a few days ago---- Cut three wires while cutting in the opening. I was able to "organize" the rats nest of wires (after repairs) to allow storage of drinking water jugs in this area. I would not do this again though.... Pictures in our album.
rick&sue

City: Holmen
State/Province: WI
Vessel Name: POPEYE

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 am

We had an R27 so I'm not sure if the R25 is the same, keep this in mind with what I'll say. On the R27 there is a microwave and below the microwave was fiberglass. We had the factory cut that space out to install a door that matched the other galley doors. This provided access to the forward part of the cave for the kind of storage you may be looking for. Maybe this could work for you.

Jim F
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby Osprey on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm

For my tug, R27 2012 version, the panel between the forward end of the cave and the area under the port passenger floor is removable. To remove the panel, crawl head first to the front of the cave, feel the panel fur to locate the buried screw heads and remove the screws using a #2 square head (Robertson) screw driver. Be sure to take a flashlight with you. It is a bit of a tight fit in there, so those with an XXL or greater figure may want to pass on this activity. Backing out seems more difficult that crawling in. However, anyone considering using the location for additional storage, would be wise carry out an inspection before cutting into the floor. In my tug I rejected the idea of adding new storage at this location because there is a furnace return air duct there.
Osprey

City: Parksville
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Osprey

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory