Next Ranger to get Outboards?

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Next Ranger to get Outboards?

Postby BillE on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:08 pm

How big will you go? Will we be seeing an R-31 with twin 300s, like the big Cutwater?
BillE

City: Nashville
State/Province: TN

Re: Next Ranger to get Outboards?

Postby YukonRon on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:34 pm

We had a planing boat with a Yamaha outboard, and sold it for a Ranger Tug because we like the tug trawler, inboard diesel, semi-displacement type boat . Just our personal preference, but I'd hate to see the inboard diesels all go away. Now, I can understand that offering both configurations in every model may not be economically feasible for Ranger Tugs to produce, but isn't that what the Cutwater line-up is for?
If I owned Fluid Motion, I would focus the Cutwater boats on planing outboards, and focus the Ranger Tugs on the inboard diesel, semi-displacement tugs. Same outstanding features, styling and service to satisfy people from either camp. That is what built up the following RT enjoys today. I'm not sure why they are changing that strategy.
But then maybe that's why I don't own a multi-million dollar company like Fluid Motion. :D
Just my 2 cents.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

City: Whitehorse
State/Province: YT
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Yukon Ranger
MMSI Number: 316023451

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 pm

I think we see the cutwater 28 with outboards next.
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Andrew Custis on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:10 pm

We like to leave everything to your imagination. In fact, the owners leave it to ours as well. As soon as we know what is next, so will you. Now you know why we are the last to know. :D
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger Factory Rep

City: Kent

Postby dclagett on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:04 pm

I’m with “YukonRon”, I had 2 C-Dorys for for 11 years before moving to my R25SC. I’m enjoying the ride and the scenery. The semi displacement hull on our 25 gives us the feeling of being in one of our previous bigger boats. Verry comfortable on the Chesapeake Bay.
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Postby baz on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Andrew Custis wrote:We like to leave everything to your imagination. In fact, the owners leave it to ours as well. As soon as we know what is next, so will you. Now you know why we are the last to know. :D

Keep up with the imagination. It's what I like about RT & CW. A rolling stone gathers no moss. Please keep doing innovative designs. :D
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby YukonRon on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 pm

I have no problems with innovation, as long as it still comes with choices.
If (when) the time comes for us to move up to a bigger boat, I hope we still have options to get a new(ish) RT with the inboard diesel. If they have all switched to outboards by then, our options would be to find an older model, or leave the RT family. I hope it doesn't come to that!
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

Postby scross on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 am

I don’t think you’re going to get choices. The demand for the outboard RT models is so high that I don’t see any inboard diesels going forward. RT doesn’t have the production capacity or interest in meeting anything but what produces the biggest sales and profits.
I don’t blame them but miss the original RT concept. We are really happy with our R25 Classic for long duration crusing trips to remote areas. Maybe someday we will move up to a 2015 or 2016 R27 Classic. Have zero interest in an outboard - doesn’t fit our mission. Maybe some other company will pick up what RT seems to be turning its back on......
Vicki Foley and Al Thomas
2009 R25 Classic
"Our Journey"
scross

City: Ashland
State/Province: OR
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Our Journey
MMSI Number: 367719470

Postby Cutwater28GG on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:32 pm

I think thats a little bit unfair Scross. yes fluid motion is moving with the times based on customer feedback (IMHO - bravo as listening to customers is one of the great things about the company)

But they have made some smart decisions with their outboard choices.
The fuel thread http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9974&p=68808&hilit=outboard+fuel#p68768
shows that the performance curve compared to the diesel is very much inline and realistically just adds a higher top speed when needed.

I'm not sure I buy the difference now between the diesels and gas engines in terms of reliability. its not as if the diesel inboards in new tugs were the super low power diesels of old that lasted basically forever. These are modern, leisure spec, common rail, electronic ECU powered volvo diesels.

plus depending on the tug model we now have a choice of twin outboards which has way more redundancy than a single diesel.
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby BillE on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:58 pm

-----" I would focus the Cutwater boats on planing outboards, and focus the Ranger Tugs on the inboard diesel, semi-displacement tugs.---"

I feel certain that was Fluid's original game plan but these pesky customers seem to have preferred the styling of one and the propulsion of the other!

I asked the question because I am intrigued by this new development of outboard powered cruisers, and I don't mean the "Express Cruiser" bubble boats that have been with us for years. I don't care about going fast, I just can't co-habitate with diesel and prefer an engine that I don't have to crawl around in a hole to do routine maintenance. I've been told that there is no such thing as an outboard trawler, and I believe it, but the trend toward big outboard cruisers is close enough. Rosborough has a 30+ footer with outboards in the works, so I would bet that Ranger is planning to answer them. We will see. I just wish this had started ten years back so I could afford a nice used one by now.
BillE

City: Nashville
State/Province: TN

Postby baz on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Yep.... the big 37-foot Grady White has three big outboards out back and it's Optimum Cruise is stated to be 30.8 MPH @ 3800 RPM and doing 1.0 MPG.
Barry, Gill & (Jake Wire Hair Fox Terrier)
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY to Ranger Tugs.
R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27 w/F300 outboard
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368005270

Postby YukonRon on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Am I correct in my understanding that the outboard models are more than just an engine change, but that they also have gone to more of a planing hull design rather than semi-displacement? Can you guys confirm this for me?
To me, that is as much of a deal-breaker as the engine choice. We could have upgraded our Hewescraft to a big twin outboard ocean-going model, but chose not to. Going fast pounding over waves is no fun for my back. Trying to go slow in a planing boat with big outboards is not the trawler experience I was looking for either.
Of course RT is free to produce whatever they feel the buyers are looking for. But I have to agree with scross. All the current Tug owners bought this boat for a reason, they were not looking for outboards. Maybe the market is changing, but RT will be turning their backs on those who want the semi displacement diesel experience.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

Postby Explosion5000 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 pm

+1 on the Cutwater 282 with twin 200s. I would love to see CW come out with an OB version that slots in between the C242 and C302. Adding in the flip up bulkhead from the 242 and 302 coupe versions would be a nice update as well. And if Fluid Motion were designing the “282” for my purposes, I’d say add a little more beam since I will not trailer it.
Explosion5000

City: Seattle

Postby knotflying on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 am

look at the positive side. Perhaps the classic diesels will be worth more on resale.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby YukonRon on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am

knotflying wrote:look at the positive side. Perhaps the classic diesels will be worth more on resale.

I hope you are right. Time will tell.
There is already so many choices out there for go-fast planing boats. How many choices are there for a semi-displacement diesel coastal trawler that is trailerable with a pickup? That is a market that RT has (had?) a good hold on.
Ron & Barb
Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Ranger
2013 R25sc
YukonRon

Next

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory