Engine Bracket on R23 Filling with Water

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Engine Bracket on R23 Filling with Water

Postby CobyF on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:08 pm

The engine bracket on my 2016 R23 continues to fill with water. While it is not a safety issue, it does create problems with the extra weight on the stern. My dealer has tried several times to fix the issue with no success. Is this a problem that others are having and if so what is the solution?
CobyF

City: Mt. Pleasant
State/Province: SC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Twin Tigers II
MMSI Number: 338224322

Re: Engine Bracket on R23 Filling with Water

Postby jagizzi on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 am

I don't seem to have the problem on our 23 but heard some talk that the water may be coming in through the flex tube connection on the pod. I believe that there may be something different between the newer boats and yours in that area.

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby Water Bill on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:35 am

Coby,
I have noticed this on my R-23 as well. So far I have not pin pointed how or where the water is entering the engine bracket.
Bill
Water Bill

City: Lake Keowee
State/Province: SC
Non-Ranger Model: 2003 C-Dory 22 C-Swell (2007-2017)
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl

Postby BDA on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Yes, My 2017 R23 does the same thing. I have isolated it to the flex tube that covers the gas, etc. lines from the engine to the mount housing. I have tried several times to apply flexible silicone around the base, but water still enters. After each use I have to drain the hollow engine mount with the drain plug. It's a good thing it is trailered or it would be full all the time. There is quite a bit of water in there and I too am concerned with the added weight.
BDA

City: Redlands
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nereus

Postby IvanGuzman on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi Cody,

Do you know what your dealer sealed on your Engine pod already? the items I've seen leaking here, are the Inspection (6" plate), Uflex lines and the tube to the fuel lines. Which on the tube to the fuel lines I've also added marine sealant from the flex hose to the fitting. What I will also recommend, before sealing any of this fittings. Will be to get all the water out of the pod and dry it out. Then rinse the pod with a garden hose so you can check where the water is coming from.

if you have any further questions regarding this leak you can also send me an email directly.

thank you,
Ivan Guzman
Ranger Tugs and Cutwater Boats
ivanguzman@rangertugs.com
IvanGuzman

City: kent

Postby Solomons Guy on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Attention new ob owners:
Based on this thread I checked and, sure enough, our mid 2017 23ob has the problem as well. Appears to be fresh water, not salt- so may all be coming from above.
Since the dealer is a ways away, I'm planning to try to tackle myself. Concern is weight. See 2 inexpensive possibilities:
1) Seal everything with (?) and possibly replace the pie plate screw on access with an Armstrong Pressure Sealing Cover. Or
2) None of the above and fill the bracket with bulk purchased ping pong balls and drain any water annually as part of winterization.
Would appreciate hearing other options/opinions.
Really hope to hear from BAZ and the FACTORY - especially on what sealant to use.
Thx in advance. We love our Ranger.
Solomons (Md.) Guy
Solomons Guy

City: Solomons
State/Province: MD
Vessel Name: Care Free

Postby jagizzi on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:06 pm

So, on my boat for sure, and most likely all of them, the leaks are coming from the fiberglass penetrations into the bracket. I don't know which one(s) but my bracket was just about dry when I pulled the boat from the water. This thread prompted me to look again and it had inches of water in it which had to have come while the boat was on the trailer.

I am noodling over a possible solution trying to come up with the easiest to implement and build, namely a cover for the depression on the swim step. A simple frame structure that comes up and over the engine corrugated pipe should do the trick for the most part. It won't stop intrusion from the stern but that hasn't been a problem on my boat anyway. My guess is that it is rainwater.

My thought is that the structure would be anchored to the swim rail supports. Wood is easiest for me to work with but won't last as long as I would like. It could be fiberglassed but that has never been fun, so I am leaning towards a fabric covered frame with the fabric being water proof.

I will keep you posted and am also interested in anyone elses ideas on this.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim and Kelli Gizzi
Next Ten
2018 R23
NWesterly.com
Friday Harbor
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby wildbrian1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:15 am

The latest R-23’s have bilge pump installed in that area. I have still drained water from that area, so my next task is to figure out why it’s not working.
wildbrian1

City: Gig Harbor

Postby bergroup on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:44 am

I'm throwing my hat into the ring so others can learn from our observations. My 23-OB lives outside during the Seattle winter. I took a look through the inspection plate yesterday and discovered 5-6 gallons of water in the engine bracket. Emptied the water and am drying things out. Since we have a few rainless days I'm going to troubleshoot the source today and tomorrow. Will also place a call to RT to see if they can offer any suggestions.
bergroup

Postby baz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm trying to understand what the R-23's engine bracket is compared to my R-27/OB. I don't believe my R-27/OB has an engine bracket and certainly not something that can hold 6 gallons of water.

My aft bilge extends all the way back to under the well immediately forward of the engine mounting bracket. This well has a drain and any water in the well will drain out quickly to the starboard side.

I do get salt water in my aft bilge (maybe 1" deep and no more as the bilge pump sensor will pump if level higher than around 1") directly under the center cockpit's hatch coming from somewhere which I'm in the process of determining from where. My cockpit has a full enclosure so rain water simply cannot get into the cockpit area, plus my boat is in a covered slip which protect most of the superstructure.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Mar 27, 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby bergroup on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:26 pm

When we refer to the "engine bracket" on our 23's, were referring to what most other folks would call the swim platform. It's quite voluminous and capable of carrying a significant amount of water if filled.
bergroup

Postby baz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:30 pm

bergroup: Yes, now I understand. I was at my R-27/OB just a few moments ago and took a look at my engine mount and on another R-23 just one boat over from mine. I do see the difference and there's a large round hatch on the R-23 that presumably allows you access to the area that fills with water. On the R-027/OB there's no hidden well as for the R-23.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Traded in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red Delivery Mar 27, 2019
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: TBD......

Postby GGF on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Was there any new findings by R-23 owners to this problem? My 2018 R-23 is taking on quite a bit of water into the pod. So much so, that I am getting 2 gallons of salt water in there after a half day outing. And over 12 gallons after having the boat in the water for just short of a week. No question that this much weight is a negative on fuel economy, getting on plane and general performance.
George
GGF

City: Vancouver Island
State/Province: BC

Postby GGF on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:06 pm

UPDATE:
The amount of water getting into the pod seemed to reduce quite a bit after my dealer resealed the fittings where the rigging tunnel was installed for my auxiliary 9.9 trolling motor last summer. But then last week the water volume increased - 7 litres after 6 hours at anchor in quite a choppy sea. After contacting the factory and a short conversation with my dealer the problem was easily isolated. The water was getting in through the large inspection plate located on the top of the pod. My dealer replaced the inspection plate with an Armstrong unit as recommended by the factory.
Cheers,
George
GGF

City: Vancouver Island
State/Province: BC

Postby BDA on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 pm

I siliconed the tubes leading into the pod. No leaking until I took the boat out and the motor turning caused the "flex" tube to move back and forth and it started leaking again. I poured water of the flex tube and it leaks pretty good, Figuring I will never be able to seal that tube I mounted a small square piece of plexiglass to the bottom inside of the pod using marine epoxy. Mounted a bilge pump to it and ran the wire to the accessory toggle on the dash switch panel. I put a " T " joint in the existing drainage tube in the pod to use as a drainage line. Took off the float switch on the Johnson pump. A couple times a day while in use I just turn on that pump for a couple of minutes and it empties that pod.
BDA

City: Redlands
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nereus

Next

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory