filling up diesel--R-27

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

filling up diesel--R-27

Postby johnw on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 pm

R-27, 2012,
Any tips on fueling the tank? With no exaggeration, it takes me 30 mins to get 28 gallons of diesel in tank!
I had it taken to a marine tech and they tested the vent and no obstructions. It makes the hose stop every time you try to increase the flow into the tank. I had the plastic vertical cylinder attachment and that does not help. I cut a plastic gallon bottle and it flows smoother and without spillage ,but is still excessively slow.
Any thoughts??
Thanks, J
johnw

City: Ventnor
State/Province: NJ

Re: filling up diesel--R-27

Postby Cutwater28GG on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm

hmm that seems extra slow. I never fill at full pace but its doesnt take that long.

It might be worth inspecting to see what route the fill tube is taking to the tank - especially near the filler cap. perhaps an excessive kink is causing blow back?
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Cutwater28GG

City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Postby Brian B on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:28 pm

I had that issue on my 25SC. Make sure the vent hose does not have any bends in it where it could hold backed up fuel. Check the fill hose as it goes through the engine compartment for any rise. Mine had a slight rise caused by one of the zip ties that hold the hose up. When I cut that tie the hose dropped a bit and it made all the difference in fueling the boat.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby TBates on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Hello johnw,

As noted by others, it's very important that the fuel fill and vent hoses are routed in such a way that there are no kinks or dips, especially in the vent hose.

Please feel free to reach out directly with any questions.

Thank you,

-Tim
Tim Bates
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
timbates@rangertugs.com
TBates
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Puyallup

Postby BB marine on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:09 am

This is a common issue with Tugs and Cuts. Some worse then others. As stated already make sure you have a clean run with no low spots fill hose and vent. Usually the last 10 gallons is the worst. There are many solutions in post here on Tugnuts to help with the problem. Do a search it will come up. Good luck!
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Admiral S on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 am

It took us over 30 minutes to put in 30-50 gallons usually. And it usually burped and made a mess in the process

We addressed this with 2 items -

1. Racor Vent Filter
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--l ... ecordNum=1

2. Clean Way Fuel Fill 12" Baffle Kit
https://cleanwayfuelfill.shop/collectio ... -12-baffle

This has cut our fueling time down to under 10 minutes on a low speed pump.
Admiral S

City: Stony Point
State/Province: NY
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 Pilot House
Vessel Name: Varka (2017)
MMSI Number: 338238995

Postby Chimo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:34 am

Has anyone in Canada found a good source for the Clean Way Fuel fill? This sells for US $39.95 direct from Clean Way. Add $30 for shipping to Canada and convert to $CDN and I'm at $100. Still not bad compared to the $328 or $227 offers on Amazon.ca. Alternatively, I'm going to Portland for a couple of days at the end of the month, any suggestions as to a stockist in the area of Portland or Seattle?

Many thanks
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby Bruce Moore on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Soundtrack - coming soon!
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby Kim and Ed on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Hey Chimo,
I had the Cleanway sent by USPS and Canada Post up here to Quadra Island, BC and it arrived in couple of days. Postage was about $20. The devise works perfectly, fill time has been greatly reduced and I save alot on absorbant towels. Nor do I smell like diesel for the rest of the day. You could have it sent to where ever you will be staying in Portland and pick it up when you visit. I think the postage cost was a small price to live right next door to Desolation Sound!
Ed Fisher
TugEtherness
Kim and Ed

City: Heriot Bay
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Tugetherness

Postby Chimo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Kim and Ed wrote:Hey Chimo,
I had the Cleanway sent by USPS and Canada Post up here to Quadra Island, BC and it arrived in couple of days. Postage was about $20. The devise works perfectly, fill time has been greatly reduced and I save alot on absorbant towels. Nor do I smell like diesel for the rest of the day. You could have it sent to where ever you will be staying in Portland and pick it up when you visit. I think the postage cost was a small price to live right next door to Desolation Sound!
Ed Fisher
TugEtherness

Thanks so much for the answer. I was bemoaning the fact that I couldn’t find this locally at the Chandlers here in Sidney. Short answer: the BC distributors are Western Marine who are wholesale only. The chandler ordered it and delivery will be tomorrow afternoon. Price is $75 CDN (58 USD). I should have done my homework better before asking for help! My apologies.
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

Postby Chimo on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 pm

I now have the Cleanway on hand and I'm ready to use it on the next fill. Does it pose any issues having the chain in place that holds on the filler cap? It looks like the rubber insert is flexible enough to compensate but I thought I would ask.

Many thanks
Chimo

Postby BB marine on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:16 am

Chimo wrote:I now have the Cleanway on hand and I'm ready to use it on the next fill. Does it pose any issues having the chain in place that holds on the filler cap? It looks like the rubber insert is flexible enough to compensate but I thought I would ask.

Many thanks

Yes, I would remove the chain. The Chain can cause a leak, also it will damage the labyrinth seals( the rings that look like threads) on the Cleanway. I disconnected the chain from the fuel fill cap and let the chain lay down in the fuel fill neck. I then purchased another spare cap from Richard-Ranger parts. Just in case the cap goes for a swim.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby tugnnaweigh on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:09 am

So the Cleanway works on fuel inlets that are at an angle? Didn't see any instructional videos on this issue.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby BB marine on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 am

Presently I do not think they do. I believe a fuel fill with more then 45 degrees it will not work. The Cutwater and Tugs now have the fuel fill on the top of the deck. At least the boats that I have seen. I don't know about older models.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby crowleykirk on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 am

OK.. a bit confused here. I'm assuming you've taken this up with Ranger? This is totally unacceptable.
A boat should never come with this problem from the factory, simple as that. Then you guys are spending time and money figuring out something that should be a non issue from Ranger. I'd be heavy on the phone with them to make sure they know this is an issue so they can address it, fix you boat and make sure their new boats don't have this issue.

You pay to much money for these boats to have growing pains like this. I'm sorry, that's just totally unacceptable.
30 minutes to fuel up your boat. Not only are you wasting you boating time you are holding up the fuel dock that others want to use.

Please let us know if you have contacted your dealer and what their response is. I'm seeing a lot of little issues on this forum with RT boats. I know all boats have issues but all in all these systems are pretty simple and nagging issues should be addressed in testing, real world and factory and at the prototype stage. Maybe it's just a costs issue on the manufacturer side.

Hope you get that rectified.
crowleykirk

City: Mammoth Lakes
State/Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kirk Williams

Next

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory