Hydraulic steering

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Hydraulic steering

Postby pricelowe on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:20 pm

I need some advice.

I lost all steering and topped up the helm steering hub with the correct hydraulic steering fluid. The steering returned. But about one month later it was lost again. I again topped it up and was looking for leaks but cannot find any. The auto pilot seems to work as heading-hold was what I had to rely on when manual steering failed. I have checked the bilge and no oiling substance is present.

Help.
pricelowe

City: Nanoose Bay
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: le Matou
MMSI Number: 316031355

Re: Hydraulic steering

Postby Tug Travelers on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:28 pm

Howdy-
How much fluid are you "topping up with" each time?

Jeff
Tug Travelers Guided Flotillas for Ranger Tugs
Tug Travelers

City: Walnut Creek
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB

Postby pricelowe on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:43 pm

All approximately:
The first time about 250ml.
Second time 100ml
Since then twice about two tablespoons
pricelowe

Postby TBates on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Hello pricelowe,

On your model there are a few places to check for evidence of hydraulic fluid. The first will be the three connections on the back of the helm pump, you can access this area through the teak hatch located on the stbd side of the v-berth. In this same area there is also the shadow-drive, which allows you to take control of the steering in the event that you need to turn the steering wheel while in a heading hold/auto-pilot route. The shadow drive will have two connections on either end that you'll want to inspect as well. The autopilot pump is located in the STBD cockpit locker, you'll want to carefully inspect all connections as well as the pump body to ensure there are no leaks present. The last place to check will be the hydraulic ram connections on the inside of the transom. To access these, you'll need to remove the bait well beneath the aft seat.

Keep in mind that the helm pump 'fill/cap' is a venting style cap and will lose a small amount of fluid if either overfilled or sometimes during quick temperature changes. There is a small o-ring on the cap which you'll also want to inspect/replace if necessary. The level of the hydraulic fluid should be just above the gears inside the helm pump, not full to the top. Once all areas have been inspected, I would highly recommend bleeding the air out of the system using a power bleeder preferably.

Please feel free to give me a call in the office with any questions at all. (253)839-5213

-Tim
Tim Bates
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
timbates@rangertugs.com
TBates
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Puyallup
State/Province: WA

Postby pricelowe on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Thank you Tim.
pricelowe

Postby pricelowe on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:23 pm

The leak was found in the casing located in the V-birth starboard hatch. Small crack. I would like to know where to source the parts to fix? BC, Canada.
pricelowe

Postby Chimo on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:06 pm

I would call Brad or Steve at Port Boat House in Port Alberni. Very helpful guys!
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory