Fold up foot rest

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Fold up foot rest

Postby Chimo on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 pm

Greetings,

When I was at Roche I noticed the very nice fold up foot rest provided for the seat on the port side in an R 23. I would like to think about installing one on our R 25 SC since, if 2 people are occupying the seat, the inboard passenger has to be at least 6'9" tall in order that their feet are not dangling in space. That leaves a couple of questions:

How long is the foot rest please? [I didn't measure it].

Is the bulkhead on the port side in an R 25 SC solid? I'm asking because I'm thinking of screwing the foot rest directly to the bulkhead in a similar fashion to the foot rest provided for the skipper on the starboard side. If it is not solid and able to carry the load would it be better to remove the trim in the V berth and through bolt?

Is this a custom built piece of equipment for Ranger? Can I buy it from you or through Port Boathouse?

Many thanks
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Re: Fold up foot rest

Postby Andrew Custis on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:22 am

Hello Chimo,

I think this might have been custom if you had seen something like this on the interior of the 23. Are you thinking of the one on the outside in the cockpit?

Thanks Chimo,
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Kent
State/Province: WA

Postby Bigsky on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Chimo, I put one in our 25sc using the Garelick brackets from boatstore.com. Works great especially for 2nd passenger. I removed the vberth liner and thru bolted with backing plates. Can't measure the width right now but it carried over a bit above the upper level. Janny is vertically challenged and she uses it always. Pics in our album. Hope that helps.
Bigsky

City: Victor
State/Province: MT
Vessel Name: Miss J

Postby Red Raven on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Chimo wrote:Greetings,

When I was at Roche I noticed the very nice fold up foot rest provided for the seat on the port side in an R 23. I would like to think about installing one on our R 25 SC since, if 2 people are occupying the seat, the inboard passenger has to be at least 6'9" tall in order that their feet are not dangling in space. That leaves a couple of questions:

How long is the foot rest please? [I didn't measure it].

Is the bulkhead on the port side in an R 25 SC solid? I'm asking because I'm thinking of screwing the foot rest directly to the bulkhead in a similar fashion to the foot rest provided for the skipper on the starboard side. If it is not solid and able to carry the load would it be better to remove the trim in the V berth and through bolt?

Is this a custom built piece of equipment for Ranger? Can I buy it from you or through Port Boathouse?

Many thanks

Hi Chimo,

I installed one from GG Schmitt & Sons in our boat on the wall below the seat. I didn’t want to put it on the bulkhead because we have a chart rack there. I removed the microwave and bolted through that wall. I also added some reinforcement to the back of the wall to stiffen it up. It works great. See photos below

ImageImage

Here is the web site:

http://www.ggschmitt.com/other.htm

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby Chimo on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:49 pm

First of all my sincere thanks to all 3 respondents.

Andrew, I believe I saw it on StraitKnot that was moored adjacent to us at Roche and I did think it was in the cabin but you could be right. The one that I saw was very much along the lines of what Curt from Red Raven has posted but I think it was more like 24 inches long. It's very much like the one at the helm seat except that this one folds. I guess the only question for you that's left is whether the bulkhead is thick and strong enough to hold screws rather than through bolting? BigSky went to the trouble of removing the inner panel and through bolting with backing plates so obviously he felt that was necessary.

Curt, thanks as always! I have a couple of months in which to do some measurements but you have pointed me to an excellent site.
BigSky, thanks to you. I hadn't thought of making a platform type step using brackets that should be relatively easily available here in Canada.

David
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

Postby TABublitz on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:38 pm

I had a similar issue with our R27. First mate at 5’0” along with a growing 12 year old, and me at 6’+. Last winter I installed two Garelick folding foot rests side by side. This allowed two different foot positions if there were two sitting next to each other, or fold both up to make clear space. The wall is two layers of 3/4” marine plywood. It is easy to access for bolting through, or certainly stout enough to handle some screws as well. For the height we wanted, we ended up mating the center support brackets tight to each other and changing to a through bolt which captured both rests, and both brackets, and allowed adjustment of the nylock nut. I would be happy to grab some pictures if you wish to see it.

http://www.garelick.com/Adjustable-Footrest

We love it! It allows those that want to rest feet, or hold something on your lap a nice spot to rest your feet.

Good luck!

Tim
TABublitz

City: Grand Haven
State/Province: MI
Non-Ranger Model: 210 XSF Scout
Vessel Name: Smidgen

Postby Chimo on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:40 pm

Hello Tim,

Bringing the idea of vertical adjustment into the concept is really great! I hadn't thought of it.

I'm probably going to tackle this after Christmas now as my pre-Christmas project is to bring the thruster battery on board with the house batteries including a cut out switch so if you have a chance over the next weeks to grab a couple of pictures that would be really appreciated.

Many thanks again

David
Chimo

Postby TABublitz on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:56 pm

David,

I finally made it to the boat today, sorry for the delay. I grabbed a couple of pictures of the steps I put installed and will try to get those on a photo album. I do not have one right now, but have requested it, so will get them loaded when approved. If you want them e-mailed, I can do that too. I realized that I posted the wrong link. I ended up using the non adjustable version of the same foot rest. We do like them, and it makes a nice place to rest the feet, or rotate them up and get them out of the way.

I will get you some photos soon.

Thanks
Tim
TABublitz

Postby Chimo on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for not forgetting! This item came up to the top of my winter to-do list last week so your response is perfect. Yes, please feel free to email me a couple of pictures. Very much appreciated.

David
Chimo

Postby TABublitz on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 pm

David,

Created my first photo album, and attached a few pictures with what we added. You will see that I combined the middle brackets to allow for a tighter fit and get the height that we were looking for. We do like these and my wife and daughter like having a place to rest their feet. Let me know if I can share any other details.

Thanks
Tim
TABublitz

Postby baz on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

TABublitz wrote:I had a similar issue with our R27. First mate at 5’0” along with a growing 12 year old, and me at 6’+. Last winter I installed two Garelick folding foot rests side by side. This allowed two different foot positions if there were two sitting next to each other, or fold both up to make clear space. The wall is two layers of 3/4” marine plywood. It is easy to access for bolting through, or certainly stout enough to handle some screws as well. For the height we wanted, we ended up mating the center support brackets tight to each other and changing to a through bolt which captured both rests, and both brackets, and allowed adjustment of the nylock nut. I would be happy to grab some pictures if you wish to see it.

http://www.garelick.com/Adjustable-Footrest

We love it! It allows those that want to rest feet, or hold something on your lap a nice spot to rest your feet.

Good luck!

Tim

Tim: I do like that adjustable foot rest. It's a bit spendy, but very nice looking with the teak inserts. Thank you for posting this link.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby The Doghouse 2 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi David,

You've gotten some good responses. Tim's foot rest looks really nice, and Curt's looks similar to what RT puts below the tilt-out window seat on our 27OB. It's 24" wide and 6" from wall mount, and should be available from RT parts (Richard) for a modest cost. Good luck!

Bob
The Doghouse 2
The Doghouse 2

City: Lake Stevens
Non-Ranger Model: 2019 Hunter Green R27-OB w/ Suzuki 300
Vessel Name: The Doghouse 2
MMSI Number: 368050260

Postby Chimo on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks Bob and everyone for really great info. When I make the installation I will be sure to post photos.

David
Chimo

Postby baz on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 pm

I noted during my sea trial of the 2019 R29 CB there was no flip down foot rest for the helm seat. In the R27/OB there is one in this location and I used it to allow myself to lean out the helm window more fully to observe the starboard side of the boat when docking predominantly.

When trying to lean out of the R29 CB in a similar way I could not lean out far enough like I was used to on the R27/OB.

With the above in mind I would very much like have a flip down step at the helm position on the 2019 R29 CB. This is a little complicated now because on the R29 CB where the flip down step would bee as on the R27/OB, there's a new locker that opens to the backside of the Microwave. Thus, the flip down step would need to be installed on the wall bulkhead below the helm window. This will require it to be installed in the factory as the boat is built up.
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY