Changing electric grill on r-27 to propane ?

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Changing electric grill on r-27 to propane ?

Postby LongHaul on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:28 am

Hi , I'm buying my first Tug right now. I'm so excited. My whole family . Just want summer here already. My girlfriend is a huge chef and wants to know if there is a way to change out the electric grill and install a propane grill in aft that runs off the same two tanks in there already?

Michael (Longhaul)
LongHaul

City: Harvard
State/Province: MA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Re: Changing electric grill on r-27 to propane ?

Postby NorthernFocus on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:50 am

Which version R27, classic or new/OB? Since you're asking I suspect it won't be a DIY project? If the boat is already equipped with a propane system it should be easy peasy to replace an electric grill/stove. A "tee" will have to be installed somewhere in the propane line. For safety purposes the tee should be installed in the locker with the tank. That's not the easiest route so if you're hiring someone to do it you should specify that you want it done that way. Otherwise they'll probably just cut in at the easiest spot.
Dan

Never confuse confidence for competence.
NorthernFocus

City: Wasilla
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Divine Focus

Postby Matty on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:15 am

When we purchased ours I wondered why they did electric outdoors. But having used propane outdoors on a previous boat I soon found the advantage. First, there are two cooking areas supplied by different power. So if something happens to one power or the other you have a backup. Secondly, and most important to me, you can cook outside without worrying about wind blowing out the flame. With electric outside I don't mind a little wind blowing the smell of bacon over to other boats.
Matty

City: New Smyrna Beach
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: IN THE FALL (2018)

Postby LongHaul on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:17 pm

Hi and thank you both for the replies. I appreciate it. It's an r27 outboard 2018.

Great replies and things to think about with both replies. I was hoping that an outdoor propane stove would be protected from wind bybthe panels there on the stove. I think the electric may be fine too but she wants propane. I do like the idea of installing the t line inside the propane locker .

Trying to figure out where I'd even find a propane stove of the same size? Any ideas ?
LongHaul

City: Harvard
State/Province: MA

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory