Inverter Charger Not Charging House Bank

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Inverter Charger Not Charging House Bank

Postby ethanbarnett on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:52 pm

We replaced our I/C with a new Promariner 2500 along with AGM batteries. While plugged in to shore power all seemed to operate properly. Now that we are underway far from where the work was done it appears that while underway the charger is not charging the house bank and the solar is not registering. When I paralleled the batteries while underway (following the advice from the mechanic) the house batteries were charging. Yeah. When I run the generator the house does charges but solar does not appear to be engaged.

Is some relay not operating and needs resetting or ????

Thoughts?
Ethan and Tammi Barnett on Liberty
ethanbarnett

City: Clearwater
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: LIBERTY

Re: Inverter Charger Not Charging House Bank

Postby BradOwens on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:44 pm

The inverter/charger only works from shore power or generator, not from the engine. The engine alternator should charge the batteries while underway, as should the solar panel. I suspect something was disconnected when the new batteries were installed.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby knotflying on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:31 am

The electrical system is quite complex and different wiring by different factory installers sometimes makes it more difficult to troubleshoot. Here is a generic explanation to help you out.

The charger should not be on while on inverter battery power. While underway the engine should be charging your batteries. If a battery bank is below a certain voltage the relays will not allow charging since it assumes the battery has something wrong with it. If this happens with the house and or engine battery, putting the parallel switch on will join the house and engine batteries. Once all are charged be sure to put parallel back to off. If one of the banks are shot and if left in parallel it will drain the good bank. If a particular bank is not holding charge it could be a parasitic drain or a bad battery.
The solar panel charges the engine bank and the house bank. Depending on dip switch position it can be 90/10 or 50/50.
You say the solar is not charging. Did you check the controller and see what the status light is blinking? Are the wire leads connected to each bank? Are the fuses in that go to each bank lead from the solar.

Hope this helps.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby ethanbarnett on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

All of this helps. As we are still transiting to Marathon, to Faro Blanco this year, I was planning on exploring the systems while safely docked amongst more mechanically informed folks than me.

Thanks to all.
Ethan and Tammi Barnett on Liberty
ethanbarnett

City: Clearwater
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: LIBERTY

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory