Fusion Radio access/removal

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Fusion Radio access/removal

Postby Scuba Too on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:04 pm

I have a Fusion Radio that isn't working on a 2017 R29 CB. Basically it shows two start up screens and then shuts down. I tried resetting by holding the power button but it didn't make a difference. In checking this I thought I'd test the connectors in the back. However when I removed the 4 screws holding the front panel I was only able to pull the unit about 1/2 way out. How do I get access to the rear of the radio?

Thanks,
Eric
Scuba Too

City: Trabuco Canyon
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Blue Honu
MMSI Number: 367783950

Re: Fusion Radio access/removal

Postby knotflying on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 am

Silly question, do you know what is holding it in? Are the wires too short or tied up and this prevents pulling it out all the way?
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Craig on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am

If I remember correctly if you remove the port side defogger cover u can get to the back of the radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig

City: Woodinville
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Windermere

Postby Scuba Too on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi knotflying, I'm not sure what's holding it in but it feels like it is the cabling since it's not a hard stop. There's either not a service loop on the cabling or it's getting caught up.

Thanks Craig, yes that should give me access assuming there's not a duct behind the plate. I'll give it a try this weekend!
Scuba Too

Postby Hydraulicjump on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Having done this operation, it is miserable if you have fat hands like mine. And you will find it hard to get a meter on the harness that holds it in. My fusion failed and had to be replaced. When I reinstalled it I finally had to give up and take out the panel in the top of the coat closet behind the TV. That exposed the wires which are all tied tightly together with zip ties along with the amplifier for the speakers. It easily glues back in when you are done.

Again, this is a miserable job and it might be best to send the children off to watch cartoons. You might get lucky and there will be some slack in there.

Final reminder, there are two fuses for the unit in the fuse array behind the mirror in the head. Be sure to check both. When I reinstalled my fusion I somehow shorted things out. After a day of creative commentary I finally found that the 3 amp fuse wasn't good. And it was a sneaky failure. It only revealed its failure when I tested it.

And want to try something really miserable? Try to replace your bilge pump (broken cheap plastic bracket holding it and the sensor) that is directly under the packing gland. That was Saturday's miserable project for a guy with fat hands and short arms. I need a tall, skinny teenager to work for me.

Good luck!

Jeff
Hydraulicjump

City: Davis
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Non-Ranger Model: Necky Looksha VII, Liquidlogic Remix, Jackson 4Fun
Vessel Name: La Barka (2015)

Postby Scottfree on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:21 am

If your Classic is the same as mine, you access the back through the closet by removing a Velcro installed panel on the second shelf. Once the panel is out it becomes obvious. All the Sirius connectors are standard RCA jacks. Due to the rapid advance of technology my Sirius is on the short list for a swim in the salt. There are lots of better units for a couple of hundred dollars. I wouldn't buy another Sirius unit.

Good Luck, Leon
Leon & Karen
Scottfree R29 Classic
Scottfree

City: West Kelowna BC
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Scottfree

Postby Scuba Too on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the detailed description, especially since you have the same model! Out of curiosity did you try going through the vent cover on the top? Also how did you take the panel? Did you have to pry it off?

Eric
Scuba Too

Postby Hydraulicjump on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:57 pm

Eric, the fan is removed by four screws. Pull out the baffle and you will see the fan itself and the screws. That will give you access to the harness that holds the radio in place. But, if like mine, there is not enough slack to get the harness pulled out far enough to either disconnect or to check it with the volt meter, you have to get some slack from the gang of wires all zip tied together. When you are looking into the top of the closet behind the Tv the uppermost panel on the right covers the wires and the amplifier. Just stick a screwdriver in the gap on the panel and it should pop off (well, mine did). You can glue it back into place with wood glue when done or, if you are feeling ambitious, bust out your compressor and brad nailer.

But before you do any of that, it might be worth making a call to Fusion. Their tech folks were super helpful and polite. Worth talking to them before you do any steps. When I talked to them I had to go back and measure voltage to the stereo, so be prepared to pull that off.

Good luck!
Hydraulicjump

City: Davis
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Non-Ranger Model: Necky Looksha VII, Liquidlogic Remix, Jackson 4Fun
Vessel Name: La Barka (2015)

Postby Scuba Too on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

I checked through the vent and there is good access to the radio cables - thanks! But there's a fair amount of cabling so I've left it to another day to sort through it. I was hoping to get the serial number but it wasn't on the back or the sides of the unit. It may be on the bottom but I'll have to pull it and see. I try calling Fusion for their assistance as well.
Scuba Too

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory