Shore power -no indicators/ no battery charging

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Shore power -no indicators/ no battery charging

Postby DreadKnot on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 pm

We have a 2014 27'. We are in dry storage for the winter and have had shore power on and batteries charging. I still have power coming to the boat, but now the shore power indicator light on the panel inside the boat is not lit. I'm guessing this has been an issue less than 3 days since I just heard the alarm for the first time today. I checked connections and have power coming through the factory provided extension cord, as the blue indicator light is on. Battery levels indicate that the house and thruster batteries are good, engine battery has drained down. There is a horrid alarm that seems to be coming from the front bilge pump, assuming that is due to dead battery. I flipped the parallel switch to use the full bank to test to see if I could get the alarm to stop sounding and it did stop (no water in the hull - I checked and it would be impossible anyway since we are under cover). I cleaned the connection and reseated the shore power cord - still no power/indicator lights to the panel. With the parallel switch on for only 3-4 minutes, I got the engine bank to display 9, so the alarm stopped sounding for now. I checked for corrosion on batteries and they all seem fine. Not sure where to start the troubleshooting. I'm assuming there is a fuse for the shore power transfer? Help would be appreciated. Even though it isn't that cold, I'd like to maintain air flow and low heat to the cabin.
DreadKnot

City: Olympia
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: DreadKnot

Re: Shore power -no indicators/ no battery charging

Postby Admiral S on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 pm

You should have an ELCI breaker in the port side flip up locker. Check to make sure that hasn't tripped as that is the first breaker after the shore power connector.
Admiral S

City: Stony Point
State/Province: NY
Non-Ranger Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 Pilot House
Vessel Name: Varka (2017)
MMSI Number: 338238995

Postby BB marine on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:31 pm

Did you check the ELCI main. If this is tripped you will have no power going to your panel. The engine battery dead is suspect of a bad battery. If it has been charged recently ( with-in a month) and dead now in storage. There should not be an amperage draw from the engine battery. If there is I would find out what it is . If it is an accessory move it to the house battery. I would inspect battery connections, charge the battery and then load test.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby DreadKnot on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Thank you both! I'll check those tomorrow in the daylight!
DreadKnot

Postby DreadKnot on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Yes, I suspect engine battery is going bad or has gone bad. Of the four, this one always goes low quick. I was thinking auto bilge pumps were on this battery, so I'll have to check it out.
DreadKnot

Postby DreadKnot on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Update: The breaker was not tripped. After a few attempts at plugging and unplugging everything, including turning everything off and starting at square one, upon the second try everything worked again. I basically did nothing to resolve it. Then after 2 minutes, the whole system shut down again. We waited a minute, shut it all off and turned everything back on. Got the shore power indicator back on and the battery charger to work. Talked to an owner and to Kenny at the boat show. 1. We think the low battery is causing the charger to stop working, and 2. Since all the "hot" side alarms (don't know how else to describe them) are wired to this battery in addition to the thruster and bilge, it is likely that I will just need to replace the battery. We'll test it out.
DreadKnot

Postby BB marine on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:59 am

I may not understand your issue completely. This is what I am reading. You have two issues 1) no power (120V shore power) going to your distribution panel. Power cord indicator light is lit but no power going to your distribution panel. You know your power cord is good? My first check using a VOA meter resistance check from boats shore power receptacle to the distribution panel. Check each Leg, Hot Black, Neutral white,Safety green. Testing should show continuity on each tested leg. If it does show continuity all 3 legs then inspect connections in the distribution panel and troubleshoot distribution panel. If there is an open go to the ELCI Main. Test each leg shore power receptacle to ELCI line side continuity (yes) The connection from shore power to line side at ELCI is good. (no) Connection at shore power receptacle is suspect. (yes) test continuity all 3 legs line side of ELCI to load side of ELCI continuity (yes) ELCI is good. Inspect all connections for corrosion and tightness. (No) replace ELCI.( Yes )test from load side of ELCI to Distribution panel all 3 legs continuity (yes) inspect all connections. I suspect a loose connection. Issue 2) Bad battery, if the engine battery is low enough the battery charger will not recognize it and will not charge it. Turning the cross/over switch will "excite" the charger. Charger should charge the battery. ( replace the battery) I would suspect a bad connection, loose connection, corroded, or combination of both. We had the shore power receptacle connection fail on our boat. This was due to all 3 connections being loose. When I isolated the problem to the receptacle I found the terminals and wires were burnt caused from the terminal screws being loose.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby DreadKnot on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am