Battery Wiring Not In Accordance Wtih Owner's Manual

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Battery Wiring Not In Accordance Wtih Owner's Manual

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:20 pm

I've noticed that some of my battery wiring is not in accordance with the R29 Classic owner's manual wiring diagram. I know my batteries have been changed at least once since being commissioned in 2011 so I won't bore everyone with the details of how my batteries are wired. But I can question why the wiring to and from the two charge relays are not IAW the owners manual. I have two charging relays, One is for the House/Starter batteries and the second is for the Thruster/Starter batteries. The house/starter relay is wired correctly but the Thruster/Starter battery is not wired IAW the owners manual. The owners manual has the relay wired to the starter battery and the thruster battery, but on my boat I have one of the large gauge cables wired from the starter battery (IAW the manual) and the other is wired to the house switch (not IAW the manual.) What gives? From the looks of the cable run from the relay to the house switch, it looks like a factory dressed cable run.
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

City: Southport
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Sea Shanty
MMSI Number: 368069690

Re: Battery Wiring Not In Accordance Wtih Owner's Manual

Postby knotflying on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:18 am

I guess the initial answer is, if it works, don't fix it. My experience has been that wiring was installed differently during production depending on who was doing the job that day. I believe things have become more consistent over time.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:56 am

knotflying wrote:I guess the initial answer is, if it works, don't fix it. My experience has been that wiring was installed differently during production depending on who was doing the job that day. I believe things have become more consistent over time.

I would generally agree. However, when it comes to wiring I start to be a little more “by the book”
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

City: Southport
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Sea Shanty
MMSI Number: 368069690

Postby ixlr8 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:59 pm

fishheadbarandgrill wrote:
knotflying wrote:I guess the initial answer is, if it works, don't fix it. My experience has been that wiring was installed differently during production depending on who was doing the job that day. I believe things have become more consistent over time.

I would generally agree. However, when it comes to wiring I start to be a little more “by the book”

I have also found "the book" can be wrong. The new 27OB manual has at least one wiring error in it. I believe RT Andrew is aware of it and is working on getting it corrected.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8

City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Postby Wee Venture on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:01 pm

Bob, are you sure you haven’t misidentified which is the starter (“Engine”) battery and which is the thruster (and therefore which ACR is which)? I made that mistake on ours when I was trying to figure the relays out until it dawned on me that I had them mixed up. It would make sense for the House/Starter ACR to have a cable going to the House switch. If you have the two batteries reversed in your mind, one ACR appears to be wired correctly and the other does not.
John & Suzanne Bachelor
Ranger R-31CB Wee Venture
Kenmore, WA
Wee Venture

City: Kenmore
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Wee Venture
MMSI Number: 368003370

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory