Addition of FactoryAC and Mase Generator

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Addition of FactoryAC and Mase Generator

Postby PACA1953 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:13 pm

We are considering a Ranger Tug purchase. We are curious about buying a used Ranger without AC and Generator. Can these items be addded after purchase by Ranger Dealer and work properly or is this difficult and asking for trouble? We live in SW Fl. But many boats for sale seem to be in cooler climates. Thank you
Best,
Keith
PACA1953

City: Punta Gorda
State/Province: FL

Re: Addition of FactoryAC and Mase Generator

Postby captstu on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:57 pm

It isn’t hard to add a generator, the space is largely there.

The Mase generator used on the R25 and similar boats is no longer imported. I’ve not found another that will fit. Newer Rangers used different larger generators.

Stuart Bell
Ranger 25: Shearwater
(561) 352-1796
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby Nutedog on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:42 am

We owe a 28 Cutwater that came with a Mase generator nice to have on the hook. Be sure to read owners manual and follow to the letter or it will bfail. My issue was we did not use it enough and being new to the game did not realize these things need to be run frequently. I believe the manual suggests starting monthly. We are half timers and this posed a problem for the summer which we have corrected with a guy who comes and runs the boat and keeps things happy. Unfortunately the generator bit the dust. Getting it repaired has been a real challenge and the US service guy was little to no help.

I would avoid Mase if you can based upon my experience others may disagree. I do believe size of the units is a real advantage over others. If you are using it routinely and are able to start and run on a regular schedule it might be alright.
Nutedog

City: Marco Island
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Seaweed

Postby PACA1953 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:10 pm

[quote="Nutedog"]We owe a 28 Cutwater that came with a Mase generator nice to have on the hook. Be sure to read owners manual and follow to the letter or it will bfail. My issue was we did not use it enough and being new to the game did not realize these things need to be run frequently. I believe the manual suggests starting monthly. We are half timers and this posed a problem for the summer which we have corrected with a guy who comes and runs the boat and keeps things happy. Unfortunately the generator bit the dust. Getting it repaired has been a real challenge and the US service guy was little to no help.

I would avoid Mase if you can based upon my experience others may disagree. I do believe size of the units is a real advantage over others. If you are using it routinely and are able to start and run on a regular schedule it might be alright.[/quote
Thank you.
KH
PACA1953

Postby Brian B on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:50 pm

My MASE has been trouble free with routine maintenance. It is 9 years old now with 98 hours of use. Any generator should be run with a load on it, do not just run the motor.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby captstu on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Brian, I am not sure I read your note correctly. 98 hours in 9 years means 1 night of air conditioning each year??? You have not gotten to the first oil change yet.

In our part of Florida, we use about 30 hours per week when traveling in the summer, if the unit worked that well.

What did I miss? Thanks
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby Rednuke1 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:25 am

Hi Keith; We found the lightly used 2015 Cutwater 28 we were looking for just over a year ago, just lacking a generator and AC. We had both installed in Bellingham, WA prior to bringing it home. Two of the techs / mechanics where we had the work done were former Cutwater employees which was important for us, as we wanted all the same components that were used by the factory, (NextGen generator installed in the stern, on the centerline), and wanted all installed in the same places, and in the same manner as the factory. They did exactly that, and we couldn’t be happier. They did very high quality work. The only downside, it wasn’t cheap, appropriately $15,000.00. The other way to look at it though, is if you order the NexGen generator and AC from the factory on a new boat, guess what? Yup, about $15,000.00. (We boat all over the country, including South Florida, and yea, gotta have that genny and AC!) Good luck!
Rednuke1

City: Minot
State/Province: ND
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: A Summer Place

Postby Brian B on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:34 am

captstu wrote:Brian, I am not sure I read your note correctly. 98 hours in 9 years means 1 night of air conditioning each year??? You have not gotten to the first oil change yet.

In our part of Florida, we use about 30 hours per week when traveling in the summer, if the unit worked that well.

What did I miss? Thanks

Stu,
In RI A/C underway or at night is very rarely needed. Personally I cannot stand the sound of the generator in the daytime let alone try to sleep with it running. I only use it for cooking purposes. Even though it is lightly used it gets a seasonal oil change. Bring your boat to New England in the Summer! :D
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby PACA1953 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:11 am

Rednuke1 wrote:Hi Keith; We found the lightly used 2015 Cutwater 28 we were looking for just over a year ago, just lacking a generator and AC. We had both installed in Bellingham, WA prior to bringing it home. Two of the techs / mechanics where we had the work done were former Cutwater employees which was important for us, as we wanted all the same components that were used by the factory, (NextGen generator installed in the stern, on the centerline), and wanted all installed in the same places, and in the same manner as the factory. They did exactly that, and we couldn’t be happier. They did very high quality work. The only downside, it wasn’t cheap, appropriately $15,000.00. The other way to look at it though, is if you order the NexGen generator and AC from the factory on a new boat, guess what? Yup, about $15,000.00. (We boat all over the country, including South Florida, and yea, gotta have that genny and AC!) Good luck!

Thanks for the great info REDNUKE! :D
PACA1953

Postby ALICE J on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:15 am

When using the Mase factory install do not use battery charger, it seems dumb but the Mase has a built in charger that will fight with the battery charger on the boat and will cause failure of the Mase overload fuse and the capacitor. The Mase charging circuit can be disabled. I have 300 hours and it’s worked well except for this last hiccup. Check the zinc frequently or corrosion problems will appear. R27 2011
ALICE J

City: WEST PALM BEACH
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: ALICE J
MMSI Number: NONEHERES

Postby PACA1953 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 am

ALICE J wrote:When using the Mase factory install do not use battery charger, it seems dumb but the Mase has a built in charger that will fight with the battery charger on the boat and will cause failure of the Mase overload fuse and the capacitor. The Mase charging circuit can be disabled. I have 300 hours and it’s worked well except for this last hiccup. Check the zinc frequently or corrosion problems will appear. R27 2011

Thank you for the useful info Alice
PACA1953

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory