Trailering

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Trailering

Postby Jfrano on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 am

A few questions on trailering R29CB
- for trailering longer distances regularly
100 miles and occasionally longer
Do you recommend a Weight Distibution Hitch?
Do you recommend aluminum or galvanized trailers with or without a WDH?

Thanks
Jfrano

City: Butler
State/Province: NJ
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB

Re: Trailering

Postby knotflying on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am

Trailer manufacturer will advise whether you can use a WDH or not. You did not mention what tow vehicle you are using. Most of us use 3/4 ton diesel and they work fine towing. I would say most do not use a weight distribution hitch.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 am

We tow an R29S without any WDH, with our 3/4 GMC deisel. Most of our trailering is more then 100 miles.

Jim
Last edited by trailertrawlerkismet on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby BB marine on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:09 am

I tow with WDH. Do I need to? No. Is it recommended? That depends on the Vehicle you are Towing with. Originally I was towing with a Vehicle that was marginal at best to tow a C26. I set up a Reese 12000lbs SC weight distribution with Sway control on my trailer. I do not have a Ranger Tug /Cutwater EZ Load trailer. I have a Custom trailer that allows for the WDH. After a few months of using a marginal at best tow vehicle I purchased a HD 2500 Chevrolet. The tow capacity is rated without WDH at slightly more then 14000lbs. The WDH is really no longer needed but I have it and still use it. I have towed more then 100 miles without the bars and more then 100 miles with the bars. Are they needed ? No. Did I notice a difference? Yes. There is a slightly better ride with the WDH, less bounce because some of the weight is distributed to the steering Axel and less sway. Do I recommend WDH not really. Would I install them again? If applicable to the trailer yes, if not no. You will find as already stated most people towing Rangers and Cutwaters do not use WDH. If your Vehicle does not require WDH it is strictly a preference.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby BaylorU on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:41 pm

I don’t use one. I don’t think it’s necessary but I have a lot of experience pulling trailers as long as 53’, goosenecks, fivers, etc. To me it’s not necessary to have a WDH, but to many others it’s probably something that gives them a little more comfort.
Make sure your boat is properly seated on the trailer and that the axles are in the appropriate place, and that will make a bigger difference in trailering than a WDH, IMHO.
Safe travels!
Ken
Fair Seas,
Ken
M/V Grace- 2012 Cutwater 26 (Trailer)
S/V Dreamcatcher - 2004 Hunter 466 (San Diego, CA)
BaylorU

City: Arvada
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-26
Vessel Name: Grace

Postby Thorolson on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 am

Re: WDH.

I have used them in the past, which I retrofit to an old Grady White on a trailer that I had and it took a lot of sway out of the trailer.
I currently have a Loadmaster tri-axle pulling a R29 and do not find Weight distribution hitch/anti-sway bars necessary. The trailer tows fine... having put nearly a couple thousand miles on it.
Tom Olszowy

Gemini Gypsy
2012 R29 Classic
Thorolson

City: Orchard Park
State/Province: NY
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Gemini Gypsy

Postby jkhiser on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:04 am

Rule of thumb for boats is 7-10% of total trailer weight on the TV tongue. Some folks recommend as low as 5%, but that seems too light. (RVs recommend more, 12-15%.)

Using rough numbers, factory lists 10800 dry weight. Add 3000 lbs for fuel, water, outfitting, 1500 for trailer, this comes to 15,300. This implies 1071 to 1530 on the tongue.

Does your truck sit level with that tongue weight? If so, you do not need a WDH.

I like aluminum trailers for lighter weight and corrosion resistance, but may be more expensive.

And key with a new trailer is getting the boat properly positioned for the 7-10% tongue weight.
Kenyon & Maggie Hiser
2013 C-28 WENNIWAY, purchased Feb 2018
-----
Prior:
- 2005 Maritime Skiff Voyager 23 (Bessie Jane)
- 2005 Nordic Tug 37 (Wenniway III)
- 1989 Egg Harbor 37 (Wenniway II)
jkhiser

City: Annapolis
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Wenniway
MMSI Number: 338165185

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory