R31CB battery life

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

R31CB battery life

Postby Beat Army! on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm

We purchased our R31 new last May. I keep it inside a high and dry facility when not underway. It seems like after about 6 weeks of being inside, the batteries have lost enough of their charge that (if i'm lucky) the only way to start the engine is to cross connect / parallel the batteries. Today, that wouldn't even work and i had to run the generator for about 30 minutes before i got enough charge to turn the engine over.

And, yes, before i stow the boat, i open all the breakers including the one for the inverter.

Is this normal? Or, what (else) should i be doing?

steve
Beat Army!
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm
City: Fairhope
State/Province: AL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB

Re: R31CB battery life

Postby Cutwater28GG on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:49 pm

sounds like the batteries werent kept charged through the off season. even with the breakers open there is parasitic charges on the batteries.

best way to tell is to load test them out of the boat. but your description sounds like are toast.

you cant just disconnect the breakers you need to make sure you keep the batteries charged/conditioned.
you sould get somwhere between 4-6 years out of a set of batteries.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Image
Cutwater28GG
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:13 pm
City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream

Re: R31CB battery life

Postby kevin_summit on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:11 am

Beat Army! wrote:We purchased our R31 new last May. I keep it inside a high and dry facility when not underway. It seems like after about 6 weeks of being inside, the batteries have lost enough of their charge that (if i'm lucky) the only way to start the engine is to cross connect / parallel the batteries. Today, that wouldn't even work and i had to run the generator for about 30 minutes before i got enough charge to turn the engine over.

And, yes, before i stow the boat, i open all the breakers including the one for the inverter.

Is this normal? Or, what (else) should i be doing?

steve


Steve,

When you store the boat is the boat plugged into shore power? The bilge pumps and CO2 detectors are always on even if the breakers are tripped. Best way to keep batteries fresh is to have plugged in and charging. Let me know and lets make sure you dont have a problem.

Thank you,
Kevin Lamont
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 10:37 am
City: kent
State/Province: WA

Re: R31CB battery life

Postby Beat Army! on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks, Kevin. There is no shore power when the boat is in the high and dry storage. But, to be clear, we don't have much of an off season here in LA (lower AL), so the longest it's been out of the water is about 6 weeks.

Do i need to give up on the inside storage and leave it in a wet slip where i can have power, or is there something else i could be / should be doing?

steve
Beat Army!
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm
City: Fairhope
State/Province: AL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB

Re: R31CB battery life

Postby Dale777 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am

Steve,

Disconnect the battery negative ground cables.
Dale, My sister's art: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
My edit [] of: "The horn [ocean] stirs memories of fearful things, of powerful things, of noble and beautiful things!" by John Williams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gztnm6GS9M
Dale777
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:31 pm
City: Ft. Myers Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: TANGENT (2014)

Re: R31CB battery life

Postby kevin_summit on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am

Beat Army! wrote:Thanks, Kevin. There is no shore power when the boat is in the high and dry storage. But, to be clear, we don't have much of an off season here in LA (lower AL), so the longest it's been out of the water is about 6 weeks.

Do i need to give up on the inside storage and leave it in a wet slip where i can have power, or is there something else i could be / should be doing?

steve


Steve,

It is best practice to have the boat system charging while not in use weather it be in the water or in dry stack. You could try and remove the fuses for the bilge pumps and C02 detectors while in dry stack to see if that helps. Also I assume you keep your propane valve shut off when not using propane? That also can draw the engine battery down. Let me know, also if its easier you can email me direct. My email is below.

Thank you,
Kevin
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 10:37 am
City: kent
State/Province: WA

Re: R31CB battery life

Postby ixlr8 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:05 pm

kevin_summit wrote: Also I assume you keep your propane valve shut off when not using propane? That also can draw the engine battery down.

Thank you,
Kevin

Kevin,
Could you explain the why's of this please.
Jim
2018 RT-27 OB Claret Red "Maggie"
ixlr8
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 pm
City: Cushing
State/Province: ME
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 2018 R-27OB w/Yam 300
Vessel Name: Maggie

Re: R31CB battery life

Postby Cutwater28GG on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 pm

the propane solenoid draws power and is wired direct to the batteries and not through the breaker.
Gavin - 2012 Cutwater 28
Image
Cutwater28GG
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:13 pm
City: seattle
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Living The Dream


Return to Ask the Ranger Factory

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests