Webasto Fuel Filter Replacement

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Webasto Fuel Filter Replacement

Postby OlygirlNav on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:53 am

I saw in the R23 manual that the Webasto Fuel Filter should be replaced annually. Is annually the requirement or is it based on fuel consumption? It seems some of the larger boats have bigger tanks or feed off of their engine fuel tanks.

We have a 3 gallon tank and just filled it up for the first time last year in October. We do use the Webasto during the winter and just used it for two nights this past month with no issues.

Is there a video on how to replace the fuel filter for the R23? Not clear on how to remove the passenger seat or maybe removing the microwave is easier.

BTW manual says "helm" think it is really "passenger helm" seat?
Cheers.
Cool Mint Navigator
OlygirlNav

City: Olympia
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Cool Mint

Re: Webasto Fuel Filter Replacement

Postby Hamster on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:39 pm

You definitely want to come in from above. There are screws that you remove from the passenger seat on the side, just above the microwave. Take those out and you can tip the seat forward to get to the heater and the pump. You will see both the heater and the pump. Pump is installed vertically towards the helm. You will need to remove the cover to get at the filter. Filters are cheap. I’d recommend doing it annually to avoid bigger problems. Fuel gets old, etc.
Hamster

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Tokitae

Postby baz on Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Here's shared Photo Album of the R23 being built in the RT's Auburn factory. Look at the 50th photo. The heater is the large grey/black box and the fuel pump is alongside it in an all black box. This is a view from the hull side looking into the space where the Microwave goes. So to access the Webasto units presumably you remove the Microwave.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1AGI9HKKGHWW1S
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby KennyMarrs on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am

Hello OlygirlNav,

If you look under the passenger seat you will be able to see the mount screws and bracket that hold the seat in place. Once those are removed you can access the filter and pump. There are 4 screws that hold the cover over the black box where the filter and pump are located. From there it's just a matter of loosening the hose clamps and swapping the filter.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
-Kenny
KennyMarrs
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Kent
Vessel Name: The Buffalo

Postby BrianRangerTugs on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:09 am

Hi OlygirlNav,

Here's a photo from Kenny, for reference.

Brian Dickhaut
Marketing Associate
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
BrianRangerTugs

City: Monroe

Postby OlygirlNav on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:16 pm

Thank You "Hamster" on Tokitae for working on replacing the Webasto Fuel filter. The Webasto heater is mounted on Cool Mint such that the corner just about touches the "black box". Which meant that we had to remove the 6 screws holding the Webasto in place to the bottom mounting bracket along with 4 more nuts to release the Webasto so we could access 4 of the 6 screws.

Once we had the working room it was straight forward to remove the clamps on the fuel filter and replace with minimal fuel spill (maybe 1T).

We replace 3 of the 6 screws and will see if that is sufficient to hold the heater in place. If not it will require drilling new holes to move the Webasto further away from the "black box". Any thoughts from the factory on if 3 screws are enough?

"Hamster" suggested testing the Webasto after replacing the fuel filter to check for leaks. Good idea before closing the black box. Plus we had removed every connection possible on the Webasto to get to the 6 mounting bracket screws. No leaks, yeah!

I took a picture but not able to link.
Cheers.
Cool Mint Navigator
OlygirlNav

Postby BradOwens on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:35 pm

I can't speak for the factory, but anything with fuel in it should be as secure as possible. Vibration can move things around and cause a fuel leak/fire.
Brad Owens

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
It's also a hole in the water that you get happiness out of!
BradOwens

City: Bothell
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Serendipity
MMSI Number: 367703440

Postby Bruce Moore on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:46 pm

OlygirlNav wrote:
I took a picture but not able to link.

If the picture is publicly available on the internet you can use the Img tag above the post box, pasting the image URL between the brackets.

Or, you can use the g2Img tag (same place) to insert a picture from a Tugnuts photo album. Getting a User Photo Album for is easy but it requires submitting a request from within the site structure.

1. Sign on to the site. You’re probably signed on if you’re reading this.

2. Select the User Control Panel link from the upper left corner of any page. Note: On the home page, this link is in your user menu in the upper right.

3. Click the Usergroups tab, then select the radio button next to the User Albums group.
Scroll down, choose "Join selected" in the drop-down menu, and click the Submit button.

Once you do this, an email is automatically sent to the administrator (me). That message will trigger my ability to approve your request, and you'll receive an email indicating your membership in the User Albums group has been activated.

I'll watch for the message, and look forward to seeing your pictures.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce and Vicki
R-41 Bridge - Hull #4 - Soundtrack - coming soon!
Bruce Moore

City: Seattle
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Non-Ranger Model: SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo
Vessel Name: MoonShadow (2014)
MMSI Number: 367598350

Postby OlygirlNav on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:48 pm

I added the Webasto picture to the OlyGirlNav/CoolMint photo album. You can see how close it is to the black box.

After sleeping on it, I agree to add the additional screws. I'm going to see if I can locate same size with head I can use a wrench on so I can get to it without removing the heat exhaust, fuel input and vapor exhaust.

Might be a project for the rendevous to have the whole heater moved over to new location. :D
Cheers.
Cool Mint Navigator
OlygirlNav

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory