R23 parallel location

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

R23 parallel location

Postby PatsyG on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:21 am

When starting up the GPS on R23 it displays that the house batteries are below 10.8. The manual states on pg. 19 you must reset the charging relay by switching on the parallel while the engine is running. The parallel is located mid berth BUT WHERE?
PatsyG

City: Jacksonville
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Vessel Name: Patsy Jean

Re: R23 parallel location

Postby GGF on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am

PatsyG,
If you mean the Battery switches they are located on the rear wall of the tiny berth under the rear dinette seat. There's three of them (large red circular switches). The middle one is labelled "Emergency Parallel". The other two are labelled House (top switch) and Engine (bottom switch).

But I just noticed that your subject reads R23 but your profile says your Ranger is an R25. So this answer may not be of any use - mine is the R23
George
GGF

City: Vancouver Island
State/Province: BC

Postby PatsyG on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 am

George,
Thank you for your response. We have located the middle emergency button and engaged. BTW, PatsyG is an R23. I’ll look at my profile.
Sharon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PatsyG

City: Jacksonville
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: Patsy Jean

Postby knotflying on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 am

Sharon,
Just as an aside. I am assuming your Garmin is reading the engine battery, and that you are reading the 10.8 V when you get in the boat and turn on your Chartplotter. I say this because if you have the Chartplotter on and start your engine the draw from the starter will reduce voltage considerably until the engine starts and the alternator kicks in a charge. With that said, and assuming that you are looking at voltage when first getting on the boat, your engine battery should be at full charge, not 10.8 V. You should only have to put your parallel switch into on position if the battery is too week to start the engine.
You need to figure out why your battery is so low after sitting a while. How old is the battery? if this is an issue of constant low charge you should do a load test on the battery. If the battery tests good you need to figure out what is drawing it down.
As far as the need to use the parallel switch to charge the batteries, if a battery bank is below a voltage threshold of 9.5 V then the relay will assume something is wrong and will not close to allow a charge. I am going to assume however (and I could be wrong) that you have a direct charge from the engine to the engine battery so once the engine starts you should be able to switch the parallel switch back off. If your house batteries were to fall below 9.5 V and you started the engine then they would not charge unless you turned the parallel switch to on and they charge up higher than 9.5 V. Once above 9.5 V then the relays should kick in and you should be able to turn your parallel switch off.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory