What is the type of zinc for bow thruster R 25sc

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

What is the type of zinc for bow thruster R 25sc

Postby bauerbach46 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 pm

My diver tells me that my bow thruster cone zinc is missing and wants to know the model of that zinc. Anyone have that info? 2015 R 25sc.
Thanks.
bauerbach46

City: SAN DIEGO
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Bateau Rouge

Re: What is the type of zinc for bow thruster R 25sc

Postby Chimo on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:40 pm

I'm assuming you have Side Power thrusters as I do. You can obviously get the zincs from the parts department at RT. I have a Side Power dealer nearby and I buy my zincs from him. I believe there are possibly some aftermarket zincs available but I prefer to go with the manufacturer.
Chimo: a word of greeting, farewell, and toast before drinking once widely spoken in the Inuktitut language in northern Canada.
Chimo

City: Sidney
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Chimo
MMSI Number: 316033437

Postby Wee Venture on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:34 pm

As mentioned on another thread, the “zincs” for Side Power are actually aluminum. They have standardized on this exclusively. Apparently Side Power has determined that it is ok to employ their aluminum anodes on boats that have actual zinc elsewhere. I had previously understood that aluminum should not be mixed with zinc even if there is no electrical pathway through the boat, since the water itself can form a conductor when dissimilar metals are in close proximity. But I assume Side Power has done their due diligence in standardizing on this.
John & Suzanne Bachelor
Ranger R-31CB Wee Venture
Kenmore, WA
Wee Venture

City: Kenmore
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Wee Venture
MMSI Number: 368003370

Postby Brian B on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:16 am

I purchase all my zincs from Boatzincs.com. Free shipping on orders $100.00 or more.
Here is the link for the sidepower zinc and the explanation of aluminum vs zinc. https://www.boatzincs.com/sm31180.html
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby stwendl on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:32 am

I have yet to understand why my thruster anodes wither away while on the trailer. They were fine after hauling out and the. After a few weeks on the dry there are crumbles of what used to be anodes piling up under them in the thruster tunnels. Perhaps they are an indicator of how long the boat is out of the water
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby JoeLane on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Get 'em online at boatzincs.com #SM31180A for the aluminum ones. Comes with a replacement screw/washer. Don't remember the cost??? Little conical thing-ies--would send a pix but you get the idea. Have a good time getting the old ones out. Don't forget the locktite. Joe Lane-Nixie (formerly Ainokea) R25 Classic, St. Pete FL
JoeLane

City: So. Pasadena
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Nixie

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory