Sink in the head of 2014 R31

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Sink in the head of 2014 R31

Postby griervictoria on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:33 am

The water pressure in my head sink has gone from a trickle to zero. All other taps, shower and the head itself work just fine. No water for either hot or cold settings. Does this faucet have a screen which can be removed and perhaps unblocked? Has anyone else encountered this issue?
griervictoria

City: North Saanich
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: The Glasgow Ranger

Re: Sink in the head of 2014 R31

Postby Spinner on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:43 am

I had the same issue. It turns out there is an additional aerator/screen in the faucet that requires a special removal tool.

I had already tried disassembling as much of the faucet as I could get at. I hired a plumber, but he did not have the correct size removal tool. On the plus side, he did open up the fresh water pump and remove a fair amount of plastic shavings from the pump screen.

My final solution? I used an ice pick to put holes in the *%#* rnon-removable faucet screen!
Sue Peterson
Current Nordic Tug 42 Spinner
Former R-31 Spinner
Elliott Bay Marina
Spinner

City: Bellevue
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: (Former RT31) Current 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Vessel Name: Spinner

Postby griervictoria on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:56 am

Sue, thanks for this. Your final solution sounds like the perfect answer. Steve Phillips who looks after Ranger tugs here in Sidney area says I need a new tap. I will try this first.
griervictoria

Postby griervictoria on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:48 am

Just poked a small screwdriver through the screen and was then able to unscrew the whole filter unit. It was totally plugged with fibreglass dust likely from the water tank when it was new. Thanks again for the tip. Saved me $$ for a new faucet
griervictoria

Postby Spinner on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 am

Great! Do check the screen in the fresh water pump also....
Sue Peterson
Current Nordic Tug 42 Spinner
Former R-31 Spinner
Elliott Bay Marina
Spinner

City: Bellevue
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: (Former RT31) Current 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Vessel Name: Spinner

Postby 2islanders on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 am

I have a 2012 and at that time Ranger was using Fontana brand. I had the same issues as you. Both the galley and the head sinks were the style with the tap that would spray or stream
spray. The aerator on these ones has a fine thread and difficult to get to turn by hand but a gentle twist with pump pliers and they came apart easily . In the galley I finally found the issue was way underneath the sink where the flex pipe on the tap line itself (not the supply lines) connects to the solid pipe in the center. There is one set screw to loosen of on the side and you can pull it off. Inside there was a tiny little check valve that had the same bits of plastic in it causing it to plug up and stop the flow.
If not the same brand of tap they may be similar. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2islanders

City: Duncan
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: Emily Rose

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory