need help with a problem on my R27

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

need help with a problem on my R27

Postby jsaretzki on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 am

Hi I own a Ranger R27 with the Yanmar engine 180 hp the alarm begins to beep when I am over 3000 rpm and immediately lose power (I have to put in neutral and shiut the engine and then restart the engine and it will start right away and run smooth until I get to 3000 rpm)actually has get worse it just gets to 2500 rpm and the problem persist... i.Ireplaced the 2 fuel filters the air filter the oil with oil filter and the alarm keeps engaging..temperature is ok and I can see that water is circulating since it goes out of the exhaust .also the turbo seems to be working fine..if I start the engine and accelerate in neutral I can go all the way to 3800 rpm not having any problem ...I don't know what's the parameter of hi load but seems to me when I look the engine panel that the load is too hi when the rpm are very low.. any idea what should I be looking for to correct this problem...THANKS for your time ..cheers Johana S
jsaretzki

City: San Diego
State/Province: CA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Re: need help with a problem on my R27

Postby tugnnaweigh on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:39 am

So under load and over 3000 RPM some sensor is detecting enough of a problem it immediately sends the engine into limp mode, this is a serious problem, I would not keep doing this. Have someone read the ECM, chances are something like this will do what's known as "set a hard code" and it will at least say what sensor was irritated and perhaps why. If no joy there you could have the reader connected while causing the condition while under load one last time in case another sensor is also involved and only setting a soft code.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Slippn Inn

Postby jsaretzki on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:58 am

Thanks for your advise.i haven't used the boat since and thought to use a scanner to detect the code but can't find neither fiscally or in the manual where to plunge the scanner..any idea where is the port to connect the scanner...Thanks again for your help
jsaretzki

Postby knotflying on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 am

For the heck of it, take a look by the turbo. There is a small line (black about 1/2 inch) that runs from the waste gate to a fitting below. If this line disconnects from that fitting you may get those symptoms at higher RPM's. The clamp used is one of those compression clamps and it does have a tendency to slip off. If this is the case you may want to replace it with a standard screw camp and tighten it up regularly.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby BB marine on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:48 am

Knotflying may be on. This would be a good check based on the small about of information. It doesn't sound like a code is stored. ( you never mentioned a check engine light on just an alarm) If a Code is available to read (Hard code check engine light should be on) You mentioned a higher then normal Load at lower RPM. Load is normally calculated by how much fuel and air are going into the engine (simple terms). If the waste gate is stuck open the turbo will be spinning up more then designed at given RPM.The ECU is making adjustments for this and load may indicate higher then normal. One possible indicator of this is Alarm, Engine limp mode, but no Code.

No Code
Boost Pressure reading.
4BY2 27.5 PSI relative, Alarm, reduced power and engine will start
40.0 PSI absolute

This is from Yanmar Manual--- Relative - pressure gauge reading at engine intake pipe
---- Absolute - Value reported by ECU and displayed at Helm. (you indicated Turbo is fine, What was turbo pressure reading?)

Really not enough information. I would do basic troubleshooting Fuel filter air leaks checks, What did the fuel filters look like that were removed? water? color? clean? dirty ? fuel line connections good ? fuel pick up in tank clean, all grounds to engine, tight clean, sensor plug-in attachments tight. A full inspection of any attachments to the engine and ECU inspected. After all inspections. Then seek a scan. Does your Yanmar installation have a Check engine light Or service engine?
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby jsaretzki on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm

THANKS GUY FOR ALL THE IMPUT...I have replaced both fuel filters which by the way look very clean...diesel also looks good.The small hose that goes to turbo was indeed lose but I connected it again and put new clamps but problem persists..When I first got this problem the yanmar monitor showed me a code wihich traduced to replace fuel filters which I did and the code docent appear anymore and actually the display docent show any other code at least in the display.Havent been able to connect a scanner since I don't know where the ECU port is.Also checked the oil on the transmission ...whent in the water to see if the propeller was free of any type of fishing rod cable or whatever could be stuccoed and check if the inlet water was clean.Couldnt find any problem there.To finish this boat just has 285 hrs and all service and maintenance has been performed. I Guess I have to scan the engine since I run out of ideas other than also check for the wast gate to see if it's stuck...THANKS again for your help
jsaretzki

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory