Cutwater 30s steering issue. Any new ideas

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Cutwater 30s steering issue. Any new ideas

Postby Godspeed on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:53 am

I know that this issue has been discussed multiple times but I’m hoping that there may be some new info from Cutwater or Garmin related to a solution.

Like many others out Cutwater is almost impossible to hold a course at any speed over 12 knots while manually steering the vessel. It continues to slip to port and requires constant turns toward starboard to keep a course. I understand from past posts that it is related to the Garmin autopilot function.

If there is any new news from the factory or other owners with fixes I would like to get any information.

I would appreciate an update from Andrew at FM if possible. I will be at the Great Lakes event in August which will be attended by Garmin reps. So if the fix is Garmin related I would like to reach out to Garmin before the event.

Thanks
Godspeed

City: Oregon
State/Province: WI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-30 S
Vessel Name: Godspeed

Re: Cutwater 30s steering issue. Any new ideas

Postby Red Raven on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 am

There are some valve screws (silver slotted headless screws on the side of the pump) that allow you to isolate the AP pump from the system. Close those down (not too tight) and see if your hand steering improves (Auto Pilot will not function in this mode). If it does then the problem is likely the AP pump.

Curt
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Postby Godspeed on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 am

Thanks. I will try that.
Godspeed

Postby tdellaviola on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:00 pm

After many issue with the standard autopilot I upgraded to the larger more expense smart pump, this made a world of difference.
tdellaviola

City: victoria
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Amarone
MMSI Number: 316034643

Postby Godspeed on Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Can you give me an idea of what the upgrade cost.

Thanks

Brian
Godspeed

Postby tdellaviola on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 pm

Sorry about the delay. Smart pump link:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/118877
Price was about $3700 for pump and $1400 for controller (Canadian)
tdellaviola

City: victoria
State/Province: BC
Vessel Name: Amarone
MMSI Number: 316034643

Postby BB marine on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Godspeed wrote:I know that this issue has been discussed multiple times but I’m hoping that there may be some new info from Cutwater or Garmin related to a solution.

Like many others out Cutwater is almost impossible to hold a course at any speed over 12 knots while manually steering the vessel. It continues to slip to port and requires constant turns toward starboard to keep a course. I understand from past posts that it is related to the Garmin autopilot function.

If there is any new news from the factory or other owners with fixes I would like to get any information.

I would appreciate an update from Andrew at FM if possible. I will be at the Great Lakes event in August which will be attended by Garmin reps. So if the fix is Garmin related I would like to reach out to Garmin before the event.

Thanks

This seems to be an ongoing issue with many Rangers and Cutwaters. The test Red Raven posted is the first test to confirm that the auto pilot pump is the issue. If the auto pilot is off the steering should function as if there is no auto pilot it should be out of the loop. The test the Red Raven posted goes one step further by completely isolating the hydraulics from the pump. If the steering now functions properly you know the pump has failed. If it still steers erratically then there may be air in the system. If air is removed and system is confirmed to be bleed. Then the helm could be the culprit or the cylinder. In most cases it is the pump. In most cases the pump fails because the system was not properly bleed, the system was contaminated, the hydraulic lines and fittings were not installed properly.

Operating the Shutoff Valve
The 2.0 L and the 1.2 L pumps feature a shutoff valve for troubleshooting and repairing the system. To engage the shutoff valve and isolate the pump from the hydraulic system, fully tighten the three brass screws near the lower hydraulic connectors. To disengage the shutoff valve, loosen the three brass screws until they stop.

To remove the pump from the shutoff-valve manifold:
1. Tighten the three brass screws near the lower hydraulic connectors.
2. Remove the four socket-head cap screws that connect the manifold to the pump.
3. The manifold is no longer connected to the pump, and the pump can be disconnected from the ECU and removed from its mounting location. The hydraulic steering system will operate normally.

To reconnect the pump to the shutoff-valve manifold:
1. Remount the pump and reconnect the pump to the ECU.
2. Connect the manifold to the pump using the four socket-head cap screws.
3. Loosen the three brass screws near the lower hydraulic connectors until they stop. Do not loosen the screws past the stopping point.
I would recommend this first.I would recommend calling Garmin if you find this test proves a bad pump.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby AZtoVA on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Does this apply to both single helm configurations and dual or triple helm?
Ed
AZtoVA
2014 Cutwater 30s Scarlet Lady
Hampton VA
AZtoVA

City: Suffolk
State/Province: VA
Vessel Name: Scarlet Lady

Postby BB marine on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:39 pm

AZtoVA wrote:Does this apply to both single helm configurations and dual or triple helm?

If the 2.0L is installed. All helm configurations are before the pump. Bridge helm, pilot house helm and cockpit helm are plumbed before the pump. So yes. If you are having the issue Godspeed is describing isolating the pump by using the brass screws (shut off valves) will isolate the pump. This will rule out the pump as being the culprit if the problem is still there. Or indicate that the pump is the problem if the problem is gone.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory