A/C Filter Cleaning

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

A/C Filter Cleaning

Postby Markv108 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:23 am

I need to clean the return air filter at the bottom of the forward cabin on my 2018 Cutwater 302C. It sappears the wood frame is glued into place preventing me access to the filter behind the slotted grate. How do I remove the filter for cleaning? Also, if there are other filters closer to the compressor/heat exchanger, how do I access them?
Markv108

City: St Louis
State/Province: MO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-302 C
Vessel Name: CyWave II

Re: A/C Filter Cleaning

Postby eric9603 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Markv108 wrote:I need to clean the return air filter at the bottom of the forward cabin on my 2018 Cutwater 302C. It sappears the wood frame is glued into place preventing me access to the filter behind the slotted grate. How do I remove the filter for cleaning? Also, if there are other filters closer to the compressor/heat exchanger, how do I access them?

I just had the filters cleaned on my Cutwater 28. My wooden frame was screwed in. Once that came off there was the filter behind the slots, and then another one that slides in right in front of the AC coil. We laid them flat on a blanket and then used a small shop vac to clean them. Worked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eric9603

City: Dumfries
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Why Knot?

Postby Markv108 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:04 am

Thank you Eric for the advice. Unfortunately, on my Cutwater 302C there are no screws anywhere on or near the wood frame - and the frame appears to be glued in place. I tried to gently pry the frame off and it started to bend and almost crack. I'm in a dilemma on what my options are to clean the filter.
Markv108

Postby knotflying on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:14 am

Can you slide a small thin putty knife behind the frame flange and cut the seal? You may have to bend/modify the putty knife if there is no room on the sides.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby kevin_summit on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:18 am

Markv108 wrote:I need to clean the return air filter at the bottom of the forward cabin on my 2018 Cutwater 302C. It sappears the wood frame is glued into place preventing me access to the filter behind the slotted grate. How do I remove the filter for cleaning? Also, if there are other filters closer to the compressor/heat exchanger, how do I access them?

Hello,

The grill you are trying to remove is glued into place and would need to use a thin puddy knife or a thin plastic pry bar to free the grill, once off you can either glue back in or you can screw in depending on your preference. You can access one of the AC units under the floor panel located under the port jump seat, there is a cabinet where the floor panels are screwed into place. The other is accessed via the 1/4 berth, you would need to remove the port fwd panel in the 1/4 berth. It is very tight and not the easiest job to do however, typically really just cleaning the return grill is fine. Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Kevin Lamont
Kevin Lamont
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
kevinlamont@rangertugs.com
kevin_summit

City: kent
State/Province: WA

Postby Markv108 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks Kevin. I used a thin blade knife and was able to remove the glued on grill. I'll end up using Velcro strips to hold the grill in place for easy removal for cleaning.
Markv108

Postby BB marine on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:38 am

kevin_summit wrote:The other is accessed via the 1/4 berth, you would need to remove the port fwd panel in the 1/4 berth. It is very tight and not the easiest job to do however, typically really just cleaning the return grill is fine. Hope this helps.

eric9603 wrote:I just had the filters cleaned on my Cutwater 28. My wooden frame was screwed in. Once that came off there was the filter behind the slots, and then another one that slides in right in front of the AC coil. We laid them flat on a blanket and then used a small shop vac to clean them. Worked great!

This is a tight area (1/4 berth ) but I believe it is more important to clean the filter that slides in front of the A-coil. This is the actual filter for the air unit. The wood grating filter is not tied to an air plenum so it does very little in maintaining clean air flow through the coils. I tested the air flow through the grating with thin paper to see how much return air pulled through the wood grating. The paper just fell down. Most of the air supplied for cooling comes from between the hull and the interior bulkheads. The air unit works well but uses very little living space return air.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby eric9603 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:46 am

BB marine wrote:
kevin_summit wrote:The other is accessed via the 1/4 berth, you would need to remove the port fwd panel in the 1/4 berth. It is very tight and not the easiest job to do however, typically really just cleaning the return grill is fine. Hope this helps.

eric9603 wrote:I just had the filters cleaned on my Cutwater 28. My wooden frame was screwed in. Once that came off there was the filter behind the slots, and then another one that slides in right in front of the AC coil. We laid them flat on a blanket and then used a small shop vac to clean them. Worked great!

This is a tight area (1/4 berth ) but I believe it is more important to clean the filter that slides in front of the A-coil. This is the actual filter for the air unit. The wood grating filter is not tied to an air plenum so it does very little in maintaining clean air flow through the coils. I tested the air flow through the grating with thin paper to see how much return air pulled through the wood grating. The paper just fell down. Most of the air supplied for cooling comes from between the hull and the interior bulkheads. The air unit works well but uses very little living space return air.

I agree with this. The filter in front of the coil was much dirtier than the one in the wood grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eric9603

City: Dumfries
State/Province: VA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: Why Knot?

Postby Todd2 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Hmmmm................ A/C filter? And where might that be on a 2017 R-27 Classic? Seems as though I just have a ~6" cut out in the upper left corner of the cave barrier wall for air return with no filter, even if I remove the barrier wall and look around while trouble shooting intermittent cooling water operation (another problem). Now I need to install one (and close off the cut out) before I clog the evaporator coil. Location? Measurements? Pics? Signs point to my boat having a factory A/C conversion (from PNW model to luxury model) just thrown together for me to troubleshoot on my own. Thanks for any help you can give - much appreciated.

Todd
Todd2

City: Houston
State/Province: TX
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory